Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   NFA/Class 3/Title II (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   How do people pay for machine guns? (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=258399)

Bertfish July 15th, 2021 01:26 PM

How do people pay for machine guns?

Simple question.

Are people taking loans out? Saving long term? Selling a ton of stuff to buy one thing?

I'm not talking a $5k Mac. I mean like a Thompson, M16, belt fed stuff. The class 3 guns that get really costly.

I know some people are just wealthy so it's less of a thing but folks in that position don't constitute all NFA owners. But for guys such as myself (I do decently, pay the bills with extra and live well below my means) that much money for something full auto seems unachievable in my life time.

XCheckR July 15th, 2021 01:28 PM

i didnt need that kidney anyway....

E.Shell July 15th, 2021 01:31 PM

Same way they pay for Lamborghinis and Maseratis - they typically live in a much higher tax bracket.

teratos July 15th, 2021 01:32 PM

My mom bought me mine. My brother owed her a shit ton of money and she likes to keep things fair. :lol2:

Bertfish July 15th, 2021 01:34 PM

Of course I'd like something historic. MP44, MP18, Thompson. But hell I'd be happy with an M16 lower so I could shoot a bunch of different calibers.

bigmancrisler July 15th, 2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertfish (Post 6370511)
Simple question.

Are people taking loans out? Saving long term? Selling a ton of stuff to buy one thing?

I'm not talking a $5k Mac. I mean like a Thompson, M16, belt fed stuff. The class 3 guns that get really costly.

I know some people are just wealthy so it's less of a thing but folks in that position don't constitute all NFA owners. But for guys such as myself (I do decently, pay the bills with extra and live well below my means) that much money for something full auto seems unachievable in my life time.

Iíve wondered the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxVO2 July 15th, 2021 01:38 PM

*****I can't speak for others, but I do know there are a lot of very well to do people in this area, especially in MoCo and HoCo where the cost of NFA items, including belt feds, Thompsons, or whatever is just not that much money when compared to other hobbies or expenses like some country club memberships, boating costs and maintenance, private school costs for the kiddies (Holton Arms, Bullis, Sidwell, etc.), exotic cars, etc...

Folks with a successful business, or perhaps white collar professionals like lawyers, or certain specialties in medicine, finance people, etc.. tend to have significant disposable income. Go to Gibson Island, or to Congressional Country club, or Woodmont Country Club and you will see the kind of money where NFA items are just not that expensive all things considered.

Others perhaps with less money, just buy NFA stuff slowly, or have had them forever, inheritances, etc..

It is definitely an expensive hobby for most collecting and using NFA items. Some people have significant resources to purchase such things just as they may have resources to purchase nicer cars, boats, private school for the kiddies, exotic vacations, etc..

Some people are just irresponsible with money and use their home as an ATM and spend all of the equity on fine dining and live well beyond their means. I guess it depends.

joppaj July 15th, 2021 01:39 PM

Pull money out of retirement accounts, home equity... If you can afford a Porsche, you can probably afford an M16. How many people do you know who own a vacation house, even a small one?

wilcam47 July 15th, 2021 01:43 PM

Some people had them before 1986...many have that kind of money, one guy i ran into at a range said he put it on his credit card...also some people bought when they were cheaper. Just what I've seen/experienced

Bertfish July 15th, 2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joppaj (Post 6370528)
Pull money out of retirement accounts, home equity... If you can afford a Porsche, you can probably afford an M16. How many people do you know who own a vacation house, even a small one?

To go on the vacation home thing though they are often bought with a loan. I'd be shocked to find a bank who would do a loan for an M16.