Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   The Depot (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Weapon Lights, smaller instead of brighter. (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=245149)

phx223 May 22nd, 2020 08:11 PM

Weapon Lights, smaller instead of brighter.

Itís been a decade since I put a Surefire scout on my home defense rifle.

Itís a big and heavy light all the way out there at the end of my rifle, so when I saw that the new sig p365 has a tiny light that lights things up as well as a much larger light of yesteryear I decided to look and see if Surefire had done the same.

But they didnít.

Lights are the same size, but now push out 7x the lumens and a bit longer battery life.

So I was wondering if any companies out there are making small and robust weapon lights of around 200 lumens.

I mean Surefire has a single AAA light thatís 1.5x as bright as my scout, so surely thereís a weaponlight that is shrunk down too somewhere.

Thanks.

StantonCree May 22nd, 2020 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

phx223 May 22nd, 2020 09:21 PM

I guess I should clarify.

I was very impressed with how small the sig branded weapon light for the 365 is and wonders if there’s been any rifle or carbine mounted option that has also shrunk down.

Like the sure fire titan plus, but mountable.

Then again it looks like it’s simply a 2 oz savings so there might not be a market for such a thing.

lazarus May 22nd, 2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phx223 (Post 5903758)
Itís been a decade since I put a Surefire scout on my home defense rifle.

Itís a big and heavy light all the way out there at the end of my rifle, so when I saw that the new sig p365 has a tiny light that lights things up as well as a much larger light of yesteryear I decided to look and see if Surefire had done the same.

But they didnít.

Lights are the same size, but now push out 7x the lumens and a bit longer battery life.

So I was wondering if any companies out there are making small and robust weapon lights of around 200 lumens.

I mean Surefire has a single AAA light thatís 1.5x as bright as my scout, so surely thereís a weaponlight that is shrunk down too somewhere.

Thanks.

I use a stream light Protac 1L. Needed to use some horse tape to get it to fit in 1Ē rings. A couple companies make .83Ē rings to get it to fit. With battery and tape it tips the scales at 2.5oz. Puts out 350lm. Plenty of light. Nice and light tail cap switch. Itís in there nice and secure. Iíve whacked it hard intentionally and wonít slip out of the rings.

And yeah, I donít need 1000+lm. If I am using a light itís almost certainly in my house and I donít need to blind myself. If I need to use it outside I am still likely not using it past 30-40yds. Iíve played with it in my used some and itís plenty bright enough to see what I am
Shooting at to 100 odd yards and to identify who it is at 50 okay. I really doubt I am getting in to such a fire fight outside.

lazarus May 22nd, 2020 09:36 PM

I wish Olight would make something like their mini, but geared towards a rifle with a tail cap switch and maybe the ability to use a remote switch. I love it on my Glock 17, but not easy to setup on a rifle.

PS one reason a tail cap works fine is I use a 12” handguard on my carbine. If I used a 15” then it would probably be awkwardly far out there with the light being so short.

snallygaster May 22nd, 2020 09:39 PM

Inforce WML? Streamlight Rail Mount?

Boats May 22nd, 2020 09:58 PM

streamlight tlr-7 and tlr-8 are micros that push out 500 lumens.

they have pressure switches for them

fbi_surveillance_van May 23rd, 2020 07:31 AM

If the OP wants light weight and small, I think the best option is the Arisaka 300 light:

https://arisakadefense.com/collectio...0-series-light

I have one on my 10.5" SBR with the Arisaka momentary only tailcap and it is great.

Alternatively, the Haley strategic specced Inforce WMLs are pretty good. They have a new 400 lumen version that is pretty good.

https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard...-inforce-black

I would stay away from any streamlight models that rely upon their pressure pads, as they break easily. Personally I like high output lights with a lot of throw. With minimal adjustments, they work just as well as the spill/flood types for clearing houses, but are also great for things that the other type can't do. But we all have our own opinions, and the glorious free market provides tons of options for us to choose from.

StantonCree May 23rd, 2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phx223 (Post 5903816)
I guess I should clarify.

I was very impressed with how small the sig branded weapon light for the 365 is and wonders if thereís been any rifle or carbine mounted option that has also shrunk down.

Like the sure fire titan plus, but mountable.

Then again it looks like itís simply a 2 oz savings so there might not be a market for such a thing.

Iím sorry bud Iím an idiot i see what you were saying. My post wasnít helpful lol but i got you a nice bump so i got that going for me.

WildWeasel May 23rd, 2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbi_surveillance_van (Post 5903997)
I would stay away from any streamlight models that rely upon their pressure pads, as they break easily. Personally I like high output lights with a lot of throw. With minimal adjustments, they work just as well as the spill/flood types for clearing houses, but are also great for things that the other type can't do. But we all have our own opinions, and the glorious free market provides tons of options for us to choose from.

I just use the TLR1 with the paddle switch on my rifle. That said, I have been looking at adding a pressure switch or opting for something that has one. What breaks on them?