Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Curio and Relic (C&R) (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Anyone else use P-64 mags from Keep Shooting? (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169432)

S&W19 February 7th, 2015 06:35 PM

Anyone else use P-64 mags from Keep Shooting?

So, I took my newly aquired P-64 to the range this morning with its magazine and two others I got from Keep Shooting. The original worked fine but the aftermarket mags had FTF issues. Just couldn't chamber the first round and was a PIA to clear.
Anyone else use these and have you had similar issues or better luck with these?
I'm just really disappointed since the two I bought were about $25 each.
Is there anything I can do to increase the reliability of these? Sounds like I'm screwed as far as returning them because I have now 'used' them.
Thanks.

Seagrave1963 February 7th, 2015 06:56 PM

Give them a call and let them know - they are good people to deal with.

BinaryBoris February 7th, 2015 07:19 PM

Congrats on the new acquisition! I love both my P64s and they are both absolute tack drivers. Amazing accuracy especially considering that short barrel.

One thing that could be causing the feeding issues is the tightness of your grips. I was running into feeding issues with my original magazines the first time I took my P64 out - however, I had also stripped it down to the frame to give it a thorough cleaning prior to this, and when replacing the grips I got a bit too enthusiastic about tightening them down.

Evidently, if they are too tight they can cause something like a "vice" pressure on the magazine which, in turn, can cause feeding issues.

The fact that your original mag fed fine and the aftermarkets didn't could be a problem with the mags themselves - but it also could theoretically be that they are more sensitive than the original mags to the tightness of your grips (different type of steel, different construction, etc).

This may not be the problem, but it's worth a try. I'm curious to see if this fixes the feeding issues!

S&W19 February 7th, 2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seagrave1963 (Post 3646204)
Give them a call and let them know - they are good people to deal with.

I'll give that a shot. The mags look great and feel well built, so I was surprised I had issues with them.

Seagrave1963 February 7th, 2015 07:43 PM

I've bought several different in-house mags from them and have never had a problem. Let us know the outcome. Good Luck

ShafTed February 9th, 2015 11:47 AM

I've used them in mine, never had a problem. Good luck getting yours straightened out.

Brychan February 9th, 2015 12:20 PM

Had that problem with my orginal mag, when I first got my P64. Yes big pain to clear with the mag release being on the bottom of the grip. Figured out it was not the pistol or the mag but the operator (me), I was riding the slide back a bit instead of letting it go, once I stopped I had no more problems.

oldsarge February 9th, 2015 08:53 PM

I just bought two from them. I have not had a chance to try them in my P64 yet. Mario said that they have not had any problems or complaints about them. I'd just give them a call and talk to them.

toolness1 February 9th, 2015 10:18 PM

The first round won't chamber, is it nose-diving into the feed ramp?

Another thing to try:
measure the front of the feed lips on the aftermarket vs. your original mag and see if there's much of a difference. See if the shape and angle look similar. If they are way off, you could try messing with them if you're inclined to tinker (or just send them back)

Sometimes it can be an easy fix, sometimes it can be a massive pain....

drking2 February 9th, 2015 10:35 PM

Keepshooting are good people, if it is the mags they will make it right