Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Curio and Relic (C&R) (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   No4Mk1 Savage or Long branch (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243325)

shershot99 March 24th, 2020 02:37 PM

No4Mk1 Savage or Long branch
 
Ok guys. I am about to pull the trigger and get my first Enfield. I am looking at either a Savage or a Long branch vs. a "standard" English made one. The "standard" one is 499 while the others are 549 each. LOADED question but is one better than the other? I am looking for a good quality shooter and not a wall hanger. I will take any advice or thoughts.

Thanks to ALL!

Furious George March 24th, 2020 02:57 PM

For a shooter I'd go with I'd go for the Savage or the Long Branch.

During WWII the UK manufacturers loosened the bore measurement standards and they can be quite loose. The Savage made ones kept to the original tighter bore measurements and will probably shoot better. I think this is true of the Long Branch (Canada) rifles too.

Also, if you reload, the UK rifles tend to have chambers that are radially very large, requiring neck sizing to avoid VERY short case life.

shershot99 March 24th, 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious George (Post 5830969)
For a shooter I'd go with I'd go for the Savage or the Long Branch.

During WWII the UK manufacturers loosened the bore measurement standards and they can be quite loose. The Savage made ones kept to the original tighter bore measurements and will probably shoot better. I think this is true of the Long Branch (Canada) rifles too.

Also, if you reload, the UK rifles tend to have chambers that are radially very large, requiring neck sizing to avoid VERY short case life.

This is great information, thank you! I was def. leaning towards either the savage or long branch. Just not sure which one. They are supposed to be sending me pictures of both today but I haven't received them yet.

thanks

SKIP March 24th, 2020 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 1943 Long Branch with matching serial numbers including the mag.
Very accurate at 100 yard on steel. Moderate recoil.

shershot99 March 24th, 2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKIP (Post 5830984)
I have a 1943 Long Branch with matching serial numbers including the mag.
Very accurate at 100 yard on steel. Moderate recoil.

That's a beautiful piece. If I do that one I am looking at 600 before shipping. I am leaning that way and just waiting for the pictures to make my final call. Did you do any stock work to this one?

SKIP March 24th, 2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shershot99 (Post 5831036)
That's a beautiful piece. If I do that one I am looking at 600 before shipping. I am leaning that way and just waiting for the pictures to make my final call. Did you do any stock work to this one?

That is the way it was shipped last century.

shershot99 March 24th, 2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKIP (Post 5831048)
That is the way it was shipped last century.

Wow. Beautiful piece.

Clovis March 24th, 2020 04:16 PM

I would select based on condition, matching numbers and all original parts. All the Savage parts should have a "S" on them somewhere and the Long Branch should have a "LB" somewhere. Also keep in mind that the Savage was mostly Mark I* and had a cut out on the action rail for bolt removal and these can get worn and cause problems. As I don't have any LB rifles I don't know if they were Mark I* as well but I think I recall they were made this way as well. Again condition and matching #s are a big plus. If this is your first, do all the homework you can stand.

Threeband March 24th, 2020 04:25 PM

I thought all the North American ones were Mk 1*.
Savage should be marked US PROPERTY. Mine has a two groove bore.

SKIP March 24th, 2020 04:34 PM

My LB is marked
No4 MK1*
1943


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP