Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   National 2A Issues (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Silly to stockpile? every governor and mayor can effectively stop most sales now (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243135)

rascal March 19th, 2020 09:57 AM

Silly to stockpile? every governor and mayor can effectively stop most sales now

Take a look:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...shelter-order/

And the justification openly cited by the mayor is NOT about virus protection, but about reducing access to guns and ammo for the law abiding and otherwise qualified citizen.

Quote:

“We are having panic buying right now for food,” Liccardo said Wednesday. “The one thing we cannot have is panic buying of guns.”
The powers in question have to do with limiting people congregating, but the mayor is openly saying his reason is not that, but rather stopping sales of guns and ammo to persons who are completely legally qualified to buy guns or ammo. He is literally rationing a constitutional right and wants to lower gun ownership, not the virus transmission.

Badger1 March 19th, 2020 10:13 AM

I was thinking about the executive powers during a crisis more generally; along the lines of 1st amendment issues of freedom to gather/demonstrate, freedom of association issues, and around religious practice/gathering.
I think it's a good idea to practice social distancing voluntarily, but was thinking about the governor's executive order limiting gathering sizes, among other things. It's something that no one is likely to challenge during an emergency. So, given that we seem to accept executives having this broad power to restrict 1st amendment rights, what is to stop them from restricting 2nd amendment rights?
I guess that is no longer a hypothetical... Thanks for posting.

John from MD March 19th, 2020 10:27 AM

Bass Pro just pushed back an order I made to maybe 60 days. I'll probably cancel it as it was only some extra .22's I didn't need anyway.

rascal March 19th, 2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger1 (Post 5822397)
I was thinking about the executive powers during a crisis more generally; along the lines of 1st amendment issues of freedom to gather/demonstrate, freedom of association issues, and around religious practice/gathering.
I think it's a good idea to practice social distancing voluntarily, but was thinking about the governor's executive order limiting gathering sizes, among other things. It's something that no one is likely to challenge during an emergency. So, given that we seem to accept executives having this broad power to restrict 1st amendment rights, what is to stop them from restricting 2nd amendment rights?
I guess that is no longer a hypothetical... Thanks for posting.

You are confused. this is not in any way analogous to limiting gatherings but akin the government forbidding the press from criticizing actions of the government. What you are saying is it would be justified for Trump to shut down the NYT if they criticized his actions, since it is in the interest of the government that everyone cooperate!

And there are no "broad powers" to limit assembly to petition the government, that is about the most narrow power subject to the strictest scrutiny theri s.

it is 100% unconstitutional even during an emergency to say that you are limiting gatherings in order to limit the expression of the right to express dissent.
No US governor, mayor or president can say: "I am limiting gatherings,, gathering size etc protest due to government interest in limiting dissent"

and no governor, Mayor, or President can say we are suspending mirandizing because we don't want people to understand their right to counsel.

The mayor in this case is explicitly saying he is acting to limit the right, not the transmission risk.

he is not closing the gun store because people could get wuhan, he is not doing this to mitigate wuhan transmission at all --he is using that law for another purpose entirely: so that qualified people can not acquire firearms or ammunition

TheOriginalMexicanBob March 19th, 2020 10:59 AM

When did politicians ever truly care about what is and isn't Constitutional when it comes to their desire to have power? There have a been a few who cared about the Constitution but most give it lip service at best but most have a "buffet-style" attitude towards it...they pick and choose what parts they like and ignore the parts they don't.

TI-tick March 19th, 2020 11:06 AM

How can you call it panic buying if the buyer has to wait 10 days to possess? SJ mayor is rabbis anti 2A.

newmuzzleloader March 19th, 2020 11:07 AM

Unconstitutional as hell. That mayor needs to be arrested and charged with violating his oath of office.

DanGuy48 March 19th, 2020 11:22 AM

I’ve been trying to buy distilled water for our espresso machine. Why on earth are people panic-buying distilled water?

dannyp March 19th, 2020 11:33 AM

saves me from having to do it myself , cpap requires it . i'm not hoarding but i did buy an extra gallon .

Air Wolf March 19th, 2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmuzzleloader (Post 5822488)
Unconstitutional as hell. That mayor needs to be arrested and charged with violating his oath of office.

Most everything they do is unconstitutional and I fear this is only the beginning of the nightmares for law-abiding GOs. They'll continue their unlawful BS until 1. it goes to SCOTUS or 2. Americans rise up and finally say enough is enough with hardware in hand!!!