Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Cyber / Tech Security (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=286)
-   -   Infrastructure Security (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=258521)

Harrys July 21st, 2021 09:23 AM

Infrastructure Security
 
I had been working in the Building Automation field before I retired in 3/2020. I got thinking about infrastructure security and protection. The majority of the home security systems today are internet based and mainly by cable or fiber. The old land line systems are far and few between.

So how easy is it to defeat your home security system as both the fiber and cable are exposed on the outside of your home.

So my next project will be putting the cable in a mini duct bank. Where it turns up into the house I will be building a SST box bolted with security screws to the outside of my house. The mini duct bank will be 3/4 SST piping and will only need about 10 feet.

Ok maybe too far but retirement has me finding stuff to do. I di recently help a friend install a ZWave system in his house. No monthly fees he owns everything .

DutchV July 21st, 2021 09:27 AM

Pretty sure some of the newer systems use a cell-phone SIM card so the system can send alerts via text messages. You'd need a UPS to be completely free of external connections.

Harrys July 21st, 2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchV (Post 6375684)
Pretty sure some of the newer systems use a cell-phone SIM card so the system can send alerts via text messages. You'd need a UPS to be completely free of external connections.

Yes they do however, they can be easily defeated with a hand held cell jammer. There are approximately 38% of the homes in the US that have some type of security monitoring and less than .25% of them have cell monitoring typically the rich and famous.

Glaron July 21st, 2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrys (Post 6375708)
Yes they do however, they can be easily defeated with a hand held cell jammer. There are approximately 38% of the homes in the US that have some type of security monitoring and less than .25% of them have cell monitoring typically the rich and famous.

Someone told me that. I laughed at him. :cool:

btw, loss of ping is a failure.

Harrys July 21st, 2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glaron (Post 6375713)
Someone told me that. I laughed at him. :cool:

btw, loss of ping is a failure.

Also, Laughing is catchy

Raiderjack23 July 21st, 2021 11:45 AM

If you have a need to protect against those who will go to the point of cutting power/phone lines or jamming cell service don't you have a different level of security needs than a typical home security or DIY security system are meant (or expected) to provide?

bibitor July 21st, 2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderjack23 (Post 6375803)
If you have a need to protect against those who will go to the point of cutting power/phone lines or jamming cell service don't you have a different level of security needs than a typical home security or DIY security system are meant (or expected) to provide?

This.

dblas July 21st, 2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrys (Post 6375708)
Yes they do however, they can be easily defeated with a hand held cell jammer. There are approximately 38% of the homes in the US that have some type of security monitoring and less than .25% of them have cell monitoring typically the rich and famous.

And most of them use wifi cameras which can be easily defeated.

adit July 22nd, 2021 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblas (Post 6376343)
And most of them use wifi cameras which can be easily defeated.

And infrared illumination that can easily be defeated.

Blaster229 July 22nd, 2021 08:51 AM

Why do you think you would be targeted by an electronics genius thief as opposed to the standard run of the mill passer by burglar?

Pinecone July 22nd, 2021 10:19 AM

Rebels in SA are carrying cell phone jammers when attacking farm communities.

But, IMO, security systems are really only to convince the bad guys to pick another place. Not to actually react to a breakin.

sundazes July 22nd, 2021 10:34 AM

Alarm systems, just like locks, keep honest people honest. As stated, and are a deterrent. The boys in the hood will go to the next house that looks easier. If someone really wants to get in, they will. Your big ass dog will bark and end up dead if you really a target.
Cell backups are a few bucks a month. Not the expense of old.
The only thing you can rely on these days is yourself.

Glaron July 22nd, 2021 10:36 AM

Seems everyone here has a bit of thief in them. :D

Seems yall know how to beat security systems. I say prove it.;)

Hell, just move to California and loot at will. Or vote for more Democrats. It is getting easier to steal all the time. Why look for a challenge when you are not sure you can beat it. Internet and TV shows wont clue you in on a new system.

BeoBill July 22nd, 2021 10:37 AM

I'm wondering what makes him such a rich prize that his plain house alone (he MUST understand OPSEC) would be singled out for attack...

randomuser July 22nd, 2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderjack23 (Post 6375803)
If you have a need to protect against those who will go to the point of cutting power/phone lines or jamming cell service don't you have a different level of security needs than a typical home security or DIY security system are meant (or expected) to provide?

My thoughts right here.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2021, Congregate Media, LP