Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   West Virginia (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Need information about permits required to build small cabin (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=239939)

Huuman November 21st, 2019 02:18 PM

Need information about permits required to build small cabin

Hello all,

Father-in-law is 74, born in WV but lived in MD for last 40 years. He wants to buy a small hunting property (20-40 acres) in WV where he can build a small cabin where he can get away on the weekends and during whitetail hunting seasons. I have been trying to look online with no success on the issue of permits requirement for building a cabin. Some say for WV you dont need a permit if its less than 100SQFT, other said 200SQFT, other say depending on the zoning law for that county you dont need a permit if building on your own land outside city limits.

Been looking at the official site for multiple counties and I cant find where it say the minimum SQFT requirements for building permit, obviously you need permits to run electricity to the property and septic system. But cant find anything about structure.

He would be fine or even preferred it being small and 'off grid'. Him and I could build it ourselves if it doesnt need electricity and just having rudimentary plumbing and heat. But I dont want to build something and one day getting a letter saying we got to demo it because we get didnt a permit. Getting permits going to require a lot more money and planning than us stopping at Lowes and spending a few weekends.

Anyone know where I can get some accurate information on what size structure requires permits? I know I can call city offices but since everything is just initial brainstorming, just want to see if the community has experience in the topic first. A 8 by 20 is what we are considering. Thank you very much.

Mightydog November 21st, 2019 02:39 PM

Check with the local licensing office. Tell them what you want to do and they’ll let you know. If no well or water then less issues. Gonna have a off the grid dry cabin?

StantonCree November 21st, 2019 02:42 PM

Buy a used trailer where everything runs off propane. Building a cabin is going to be a PITA and your going to be constantly adding to it. Especially if he just wants a small shack with no power/water.

I’ve dealt with this on my brothers old property.

GuitarmanNick November 21st, 2019 03:03 PM

Each county usually has a licensing and permits office. You may need to check with the local zoning office, too.

tallen702 November 22nd, 2019 07:08 AM

As others have said, you need to call the individual county. Some will require permitting and inspection, others, less so.

Doctor_M November 22nd, 2019 07:22 AM

Yep. Go to the country office. I'm in Braxton and didn't need a permit for an addition I added to my place. The contractor looked at me like I was a weirdo when I asked what kind of permits I needed. His response was "why would you need a permit... you own it". This is how it SHOULD be.

Pushrod November 22nd, 2019 08:53 AM

I never heard of having to get a permit except for septic systems (and that is usually just to inspect to make sure it is correct). If it is an off the grid cabin: build it, no permission required.

parttimer November 22nd, 2019 10:08 AM

For less than the cost of the well and septic he could buy a pretty nice RV or travel trailer and park it on the property.
If he wants to skip having the plumbing he could build a glorified shed with insulation, a wood stove, and a few solar panels on the roof fairly cheap and probably not need to worry about the permits.

Huuman November 25th, 2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parttimer (Post 5708243)
For less than the cost of the well and septic he could buy a pretty nice RV or travel trailer and park it on the property.
If he wants to skip having the plumbing he could build a glorified shed with insulation, a wood stove, and a few solar panels on the roof fairly cheap and probably not need to worry about the permits.

Yeah, we were thinking about glorified shed. I'm fine with being an on going project. Keep him busy, if left alone he'll spend all day watching Mountain Men and Judge Jeanine while sitting on his recliner until hunting season starts. I'm not worry about heating and plumbing. Its electricity that I havnt got figured out yet, he's not going to need much but is solar enough to power a TV?

John from MD November 25th, 2019 02:38 PM

Check with Norton, I think that's what he did.