Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Rimfire (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Lever action vs. Pump action (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=217699)

joppaj December 6th, 2017 05:25 PM

Lever action vs. Pump action

What are the pros and cons on a lever action .22WMR vs a pump action .22WMR? These are both Henry's. I already have a lever action .22lr a Marlin 39A. I'm thinking the pump action rifle MIGHT be more prone to feeding problems, but that's just a hunch. The lever action has a 24 inch barrel which I think would be really cool for the round to get maximum velocity and accuracy. The pump action might be more fun to shoot...

TheOriginalMexicanBob December 6th, 2017 05:28 PM

The Marlin is a classic. Pump or lever doesn't matter...it just depends on what you want to have fun with at the time. Every gun is individual...learn each and how to avoid potential issues.

trickg December 6th, 2017 05:35 PM

Lever guns are way cooler - otherwise....? I'm not sure it matters that much - if it functions and works properly, then it works.

I've had .22s in both lever and pump - I prefer the lever.

Jimbob2.0 December 6th, 2017 05:36 PM

Love a lever gun but a good pump gallery gun is compact, fast and reliable. If you short stroke either one it will jam.

They are kissing cousins anyways.

lowoncash December 6th, 2017 11:27 PM

Only issue I see is firing from a prone position. Both would have issues but the lever might be easier to manage.

j_h_smith December 6th, 2017 11:37 PM

Any lever action rifle is just cool. Think about how cool that lever action shotgun was. Lever action=Cool.

/Thread

BossmanPJ December 7th, 2017 04:23 AM

I would go lever. There is just something about them. I have a pump as well and to me the lever is more fun to shoot.

retafshooter December 7th, 2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossmanPJ (Post 5018612)
I would go lever. There is just something about them. I have a pump as well and to me the lever is more fun to shoot.

What BossmanPJ said...

Doctor_M December 7th, 2017 07:40 AM

I've never had a true jam with a lever gun... I can't say that with a pump.

PGTMG December 7th, 2017 09:37 AM

Well, I do not have any experience with Henrys. That said I have a Marlin 57M in 22mag which is a lever and I have shot and hunted with for a few years. I have access to a Winchester 61 and a Browning pump 22 mag. I have not had any issues with the lever. The pumps were more sensitive to ammo selection and less than stellar cleaning practices.

Also, the pump actions stroke is very short so it feels wrong (make your own joke here).

I would not trade the Marlin 57M for either of those rifles.

The Marlin 57M has a 24-inch barrel and feels like a rifle. It is also heavy for a rimfire but is does the business on small game. It is also a hit with new shooters.

Good luck and let us know what you decide