Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Edged Weapons (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   WW1 Bolo (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=255905)

Ravitch April 5th, 2021 08:25 PM

WW1 Bolo

4 Attachment(s)
My grandmother recently passed away, and when cleaning up the garage I found this gem buried under a ton of clothes and boxes. My Great Grandfathers WW1 Bolo knife and Basic Training graduation plaque, way fancier than what I left basic training with :lol:

Highlight of my year saving this knife and piece of family history.

snallygaster April 5th, 2021 08:36 PM

What an awesome find!

Doctor_M April 5th, 2021 08:41 PM

Freaking awesome! That is a family heirloom that needs to be treasured!!

KH195 April 5th, 2021 09:27 PM

Very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Amazing heirlooms that survived in fantastic condition! I hope they stay in your family for many generations to come! What unit did he serve with?

wilcam47 April 5th, 2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravitch (Post 6280664)
My grandmother recently passed away, and when cleaning up the garage I found this gem buried under a ton of clothes and boxes. My Great Grandfathers WW1 Bolo knife and Basic Training graduation plaque, way fancier than what I left basic training with :lol:

Highlight of my year saving this knife and piece of family history.

Thats awesome!

KP Shooter April 5th, 2021 09:56 PM

This is incredibly awesome.
Some recommendations:
Write down everything you can remember about him, be it passed down from your older relatives or from your own memory. Your grandchildren will appreciate it. Also, source his discharges and any awards. Best to compile it all together now.

Tungsten April 5th, 2021 10:05 PM

Very cool.

dontpanic April 5th, 2021 10:05 PM

I have my Grandfather's. One of my most cherished possessions.

That basic training certificate is super cool.

Deep Thought April 5th, 2021 10:10 PM

Very nice! I'd look into how to preserve that. Looks good for wear for now! Acid paper.. sunlight.. I'm not an archivist but something that special might merit a little preservation homework.

KH195 April 5th, 2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Thought (Post 6280763)
Very nice! I'd look into how to preserve that. Looks good for wear for now! Acid paper.. sunlight.. I'm not an archivist but something that special might merit a little preservation homework.

Excellent point. The service certificate is worthy of proper archival quality preservation. Do your research on local framing options (NOT Michaels) and find a place that does real museum/archival quality framing and that will last forever. I had several documents/photos of my great grandfathers WWI service professionally framed...not cheap but I know they’ll now last a LOT longer than I will.