Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Outdoor Sports (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Triumph Motorcycles (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=216045)

TargetGrade October 21st, 2017 02:44 AM

Triumph Motorcycles

Well aware of the Brit bikes from their demise in the 70's and their heyday before the advent of the electric start imports so fast forward to today.

I saw one earlier this week, Bonneville American or something like that. Sonofabitch was beautiful. I've owned several in the past, from a pre bowling ball XLCH, Kaw triple suicide machines and Trumpets and a host of other rice burners. Been on my mind so much I bought a slew of old Harley and Triumph Trident parts from a friend tonight. Mostly junk but that's how I function. :o

Whats with the new ones? Any good, reliability ect? I've got a few active years left in this old body (hopefully) fewer brains than $$$ ect. SHE wants a class C RV... now if I could show practicality of some sort of a hitch on the back that will hold a full sized scooter......... :innocent0

I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming...... :)

hairba111 October 21st, 2017 02:51 AM

"I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming......"

Or sex :D.

hairba111 October 21st, 2017 02:56 AM

I had a '66 650 Bonneville chopped back in the seventies. Metallic blue flames and huge extended forks. Actually pretty easy to ride being so light. Kinda sketchy hitting freeway rain grooves in CA though.

TargetGrade October 21st, 2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairba111 (Post 4970204)
"I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming......"

Yeah, I did that once..... ;)

Jimbob2.0 October 21st, 2017 03:34 AM

The ones they made in the late 90s to early 2000s were really awesome British style with modern reliability. Lately their style seems to be getting a little weird, maybe its just way to much early WWII type influence with Harley type dress but seems out of place. May just be different than the early 70s Triumphs that us yanks were used to.

Gotta love em, if I get a bike soon it will probably be a mid 2000s scrambler.

Jenna Coleman with a triumph...........oh baby

https://i.stack.imgur.com/F7wMT.jpg

TargetGrade October 21st, 2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbob2.0 (Post 4970216)
The ones they made in the late 90s to early 2000s were really awesome British style with modern reliability. Lately their style seems to be getting a little weird, maybe its just way to much early WWII type influence with Harley type dress but seems out of place. May just be different than the early 70s Triumphs that us yanks were used to.

Gotta love em, if I get a bike soon it will probably be a mid 2000s scrambler.

Jenna Coleman with a triumph...........oh baby

https://i.stack.imgur.com/F7wMT.jpg

Smiths and Lucas are ancient history?

Sewer Rat October 21st, 2017 06:52 AM

A buddy in texas has a scrambler.. he loves it. sob has probably 8 bikes... last I spoke with him, the triumph was his favorite... I'm in lust with the tiger... keep threatening the wife that for my midlife crisis I'm buying one

Nnztg8r October 21st, 2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairba111 (Post 4970204)

He did say decades...

Nnztg8r October 21st, 2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TargetGrade (Post 4970203)
Well aware of the Brit bikes from their demise in the 70's and their heyday before the advent of the electric start imports so fast forward to today.

I saw one earlier this week, Bonneville American or something like that. Sonofabitch was beautiful. I've owned several in the past, from a pre bowling ball XLCH, Kaw triple suicide machines and Trumpets and a host of other rice burners. Been on my mind so much I bought a slew of old Harley and Triumph Trident parts from a friend tonight. Mostly junk but that's how I function. :o

Whats with the new ones? Any good, reliability ect? I've got a few active years left in this old body (hopefully) fewer brains than $$$ ect. SHE wants a class C RV... now if I could show practicality of some sort of a hitch on the back that will hold a full sized scooter......... :innocent0

I haven't really rode in decades but I figure it's like riding a bike or swimming...... :)

Bet you think Margaret Thatcher is H-o-t too...

Mr. Ed October 21st, 2017 08:48 AM

They are much better nowadays. I worked in the motorcycle business in the 70s, and back then the electrical systems on the Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs were from Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. When the humidity got over 75%, you often became a pedestrian. Might just as well stay home if it was raining. And even the factories of those brands joked about the amount of oil they all left on the ground. They had three conditions to describe the condition: Weepage, Seepage and Leakage. If it didn't have one of those conditions, it was unusual.

They also had right foot shift and left foot rear brakes. Made it challenging to switch between those and the other brands for demo rides.