Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Outdoor Sports (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Any mountain-bikers here? (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38379)

hogarth June 8th, 2010 08:24 PM

Any mountain-bikers here?

Hi all,

I used to mountain bike a lot, but got away from it when my best riding buddy moved to Texas. Late last summer, I discovered some new guys I work with like to ride but also had no one to ride with, so we started riding. Got a new bike last fall (instead of a new gun!) with some $ my grandmother gave me. Now that the weather has gotten better, I've been riding at least once a week, usually Loch Raven (Seminary area). My friends and I are planning a trip to Raystown Lake, PA, in the next few weeks, as they have a new trail thing there that's supposed to be really neat, though not too technical.

Anyway, just wondering if there are other mountain bikers here. If so, what do you ride and where do you tend to ride.

Me first: I ride a Trek 4300 Disc. I usually ride at Loch Raven or occasionally Gunpowder Sweet Air.

herr.baer June 8th, 2010 08:31 PM

I use to but haven't in a long time. I always went to Patapsco State Park. They have a few good trails there.

Splitter June 8th, 2010 08:38 PM

There is one member we call "The Streak" and it's not because of his underwear or that unfortunate Colorado homecoming dance incident. He may reveal himself although I am told he is infested with libtards at the moment.

Splitter

Cpl. Cornbeef June 8th, 2010 08:42 PM

I am also getting back into it after a long hiatus. I just upgraded my 2000 Trek 8000 with new Fox forks, front disk brakes, Shimano Deore XT FC-M770 Crankset and some crank brothers pedals. I try to hit the trails a couple of times a month, mostly Schaffer Farms in Germantown. I even signed up for a race in Aug:eek:

Mickey the Dragon June 8th, 2010 08:47 PM

I'd like to get into it, but right now I'm forced to choose between a new gun, a new bike, or paying my mortgage and I can only pick two. Some place you might look at going to is Green Ridge State Forest out near Cumberland. They've got the only "mountain" biking trail in Maryland, which means over 1000 feet of elevation change over the course of the 12 mile loop.

1776 June 8th, 2010 09:07 PM

I ride my Gary Fisher or GT mountain bike about 5 miles every night. Nothing tough, just some level trails and back roads near the Bush River. Have ridden the North Central RR trail from Hunt Valley to York numerous times. There's no real mountain biking around here. I have been out in Utah and Arizona, that is the real scene.

Treeguy June 8th, 2010 09:16 PM

I have a Gary Fisher (hookuekoo ??) i have not been using in years..it just sits in the shed. I need a New rim and crank for a crash i took a while back.

Thinking about selling it, i have $1300 into it and it seems like a waist to just let it sit.

I loved riding at one time.

Punch84 June 8th, 2010 09:28 PM

A thread about my favorite activity on a forum about my favorite hobby. Dreams do come true. Patapsco, Avalon area on one of my Specialized s-work epics. Either 2003 aluminum or 2006 carbon epic. Don't get the old hardtail out much anyone. Used to ride at Greenbriar or Frederick if I needed to work on rock gardens. State College PA was a good place to spend the day, lots of climbing.

Got_Glock June 8th, 2010 09:31 PM

I used to ride, have not ridden much lately. I ride a 2004
Cannondale Prophet 1000 full suspension/Lefty. I go to Cedarville and St. Mary's Lake. Planning some better rides later on this summer.

Cannon June 8th, 2010 09:38 PM

I used to ride Patapsco about 5x a week when I lived in Arbutus.

I can't find any trails In Loch Raven that I like, I know they exist, I just don't know where.

I've been riding a SS mtb, but I'm thinking of lacing a 7spd internal gear hub.

I do almost all of my riding on the road nowadays.