Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Curio and Relic (C&R) (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Looking for Colt 1903 Mag in .38 ACP (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243091)

Doctor_M March 18th, 2020 07:54 AM

Looking for Colt 1903 Mag in .38 ACP

I guess this is a long shot, but I'm looking for an original or a good quality aftermarket magazine for a Colt 1903 chambered in .38 ACP. I'm so fed up with the Triple K pieces of crap. I bought one for a Colt 1900 that was supposed to fit the 1903... of course it doesn't latch. Had another Triple K that I took out shooting yesterday for the first time in a Beretta 1951... first 8 rounds saw the follower bent up like a piece of aluminum foil and jam the gun. I'm done with Triple K.

Anyway, there are a lot of available 1903 mags in .32 or .380, but none that I can find in .38 ACP. Check that, I did find one for sale at something like $380. I'll pass on that one.

If anyone has one they can bear to part with at a fair price or if you have a lead on a source for one, I'd appreciate it. My 1903 is one of my favorite C&R handguns, but I don't shoot it as much as I'd like since I'm babying my only remaining magazine.

TheOriginalMexicanBob March 18th, 2020 09:29 AM

I have a 1903 Pocket Hammer but only the one magazine so I can't let it go. The best advice I can give is to become a member of the Colt Forum and place a "Want to Buy" ad in the classified section there.

Doctor_M March 18th, 2020 04:27 PM

Good advice... thanks OMB!

somd_mustangs March 18th, 2020 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pretty sure I have one, but may be cosmetically challenged - I'll dig around.
I do have a spare 1902 8 shot for sure that has some dings in the feed lips, it's sitting here on the workbench.
The 1902 Military magazine will work in the 1900, Sporting and PH, just sticks out a little at the bottom (see pic).

I've used the TripleK mags (& and 8 shot) quite a lot in both 1902 Mil and 1903 PH, but I had to modify them by cutting that groove in the back all the way through and poking out the top side to form the little bump that the originals had. Once I did that they worked great. Before that, the mag fell out on the first shot, which isn't very desirable to say the least.

The first variation of 1900 magazine was also flat at the back (top mag in the pic), but they soon found the bump was necessary :)

Anyway, I'll dig out the parts box and see what I've got.

somd_mustangs March 18th, 2020 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One other thing, these tend to crack at the back where the feed lip joins at the top of the spine so examine originals carefully.
This is a cracked 1905 but they fail in the same place on the 1900/1902.

mawkie March 19th, 2020 05:28 AM

Not surprised to see where they fail. Good tip considering how rare and expensive they are! Doctor M's problem with aftermarket mags mirrors my experience with P08 mags. Never could get one to work and ended up using WW2 vintage mags in my WWI era Lugers.

somd_mustangs March 19th, 2020 11:43 AM

I guess I'm just lucky. I''ve got a handful of Triple K 1900/1902 mags that worked fine once the retention slots were modified.
But I don't shoot these very much so maybe just the law of averages working in my favor for a change :)

Doctor_M March 22nd, 2020 08:12 PM

Wanted to give a shout out to somd_mustangs for giving me a lead on a mag at auction. Just closed on it. Appreciate the heads up buddy! Fingers crossed that it works. Looks like it did have a hairline around the feed lips, but took a chance on it.

rsideout March 22nd, 2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor_M (Post 5828079)
Wanted to give a shout out to somd_mustangs for giving me a lead on a mag at auction. Just closed on it. Appreciate the heads up buddy! Fingers crossed that it works. Looks like it did have a hairline around the feed lips, but took a chance on it.

+100. J, is a great resource for ALL things early Colt....and much more! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mawkie March 23rd, 2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsideout (Post 5828140)
+100. J, is a great resource for ALL things early Colt....and much more! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Indeed!