Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   National 2A Issues (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   S446 Senate National Reciprocity Act (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=217696)

swinokur December 6th, 2017 04:17 PM

S446 Senate National Reciprocity Act

1 Attachment(s)
Introduced by Senator Cornyn. I thought it deserves it's own thread as HR 38 was passed today

The Senate version differs from HR 38 in that it does require a home state permit for a resident of that state to carry in their home state

Schipperke December 6th, 2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinokur (Post 5017971)
Introduced by Senator Cornyn. I thought it deserves it's own thread as HR 38 is being voted on today

The Senate version differs from HR 38 in that it does require a home state permit for a resident of that state to carry in their home state

That will be a lock if any chance at all..

ant92083 December 6th, 2017 04:40 PM

The Senate version needs to be reconciled with the house version. The Senate version leaves us hanging out to dry with the change.

swinokur December 6th, 2017 04:44 PM

HR 38 passed

JPG December 6th, 2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schipperke (Post 5018004)
That will be a lock if any chance at all..

I donít think so. There are several States that are constitutional carry so the way I see it there are a couple options:
1 those states will have to issue licenses
2 Senate will have to match House version so the Constitutional carry state citizens can get a non resident license to carry everywhere else in the US

Fox123 December 6th, 2017 04:50 PM

Another possibility here is that the senate passes only fix nics, it goes to conference where 1 of 2 things happen.

1) senate passed bill gets reciprocity added to it to match the house bill

2)house bill is stripped of reciprocity to match the senate bill.

Then whatever they do (1 or 2) will go back to each chamber to be voted on for final passage.

What I don't know is if when it comes back does the senate still need 60 votes for cloture again or can they just pass with simple majority.

If it is just simple majority I could see them going with option 1 to get it through.

If senate does require 60 vote cloture on the conference report I could see them screwing us and going with option 2

Schipperke December 6th, 2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPG (Post 5018043)
I donít think so. There are several States that are constitutional carry so the way I see it there are a couple options:
1 those states will have to issue licenses
2 Senate will have to match House version so the Constitutional carry state citizens can get a non resident license to carry everywhere else in the US

Why?

swinokur December 6th, 2017 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPG (Post 5018043)
I don’t think so. There are several States that are constitutional carry so the way I see it there are a couple options:
1 those states will have to issue licenses NO

The Senate bill provides protection for residents of CC states, like HR 38 did. Residents of those states need only provide a photo ID in another state. No NR permit required

IANAL.

iH8DemLibz December 6th, 2017 04:59 PM

These bills are for reciprocity laws.

They're not, run rough shod over states that don't want to issue a carry permit, laws. We'd be better off with National Concealed Carry bills being pushed.

Reciprocity may pass.

But there is nothing in the law that will compel Maryland, and other states, to suddenly hand out carry permits.

esqappellate December 6th, 2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz (Post 5018065)
These bills are for reciprocity laws.

They're not, run rough shod over states that don't want to issue a carry permit, laws.

Reciprocity may pass.

But there is nothing in the law that will compel Maryland, and other states, to suddenly hand out carry permits.

That is technically correct. Of course, the General Assembly will then be confronted with the reality that the citizens of 42 states with shall issue permitting system will be able to carry in Maryland, while the citizens of Maryland will not be able to. That may become politically untenable, even for the antis.