Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Shotguns (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tac 14 (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243122)

SillySauce March 19th, 2020 02:16 AM

Tac 14
 
So, if the tac 14 and mossberg shockwave transfer as a pistol in MD does that mean that I can put a pistol grip stock on it and not use the handle grip?

WildWeasel March 19th, 2020 06:09 AM

You can't put a pistol grip stock on any pistol unless its SBRed.

GolfR March 19th, 2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWeasel (Post 5822067)
You can't put a pistol grip stock on any pistol unless its SBRed.

I believe you are referring to a vertical forgrip which is not allowed in a pistol. It would possibly reclassify it as an AOW. Technically the tac14 is not a pistol by ATF rules though. It is transferred under the same regulated firearm rules in MD which is confusing.

To my knowledge you can add a pistol grip if you like and can also add a brace legally. There are companies that sell assemblies with both. Adding the grip and brace changes the overall length which may reclassify the firearm as a pistol under ATF rules.

Clear a mud right? IANAL.

SillySauce March 19th, 2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfR (Post 5822081)
I believe you are referring to a vertical forgrip which is not allowed in a pistol. It would possibly reclassify it as an AOW. Technically the tac14 is not a pistol by ATF rules though. It is transferred under the same regulated firearm rules in MD which is confusing.

To my knowledge you can add a pistol grip if you like and can also add a brace legally. There are companies that sell assemblies with both. Adding the grip and brace changes the overall length which may reclassify the firearm as a pistol under ATF rules.

Clear a mud right? IANAL.

I meant like a hogue pistol grip. Does transfer as a pistol needing an HQL or does it transfer just as a regulated firearm like an ar15 receiver?

3paul10 March 19th, 2020 08:24 AM

You can put a pistol brace... SBA for example

hogarth March 19th, 2020 08:41 AM

Just a pistol grip would be a no-no as it would reduce the overall length. It would make it a AOW and require a tax stamp. Pistol grip with arm brace would be okay as it would increase the overall length, and some are sold already in this configuration.

sxs March 25th, 2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogarth (Post 5822234)
Just a pistol grip would be a no-no as it would reduce the overall length. It would make it a AOW and require a tax stamp. Pistol grip with arm brace would be okay as it would increase the overall length, and some are sold already in this configuration.

This!!!

Boats March 25th, 2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogarth (Post 5822234)
Just a pistol grip would be a no-no as it would reduce the overall length. It would make it a AOW and require a tax stamp. Pistol grip with arm brace would be okay as it would increase the overall length, and some are sold already in this configuration.

this

Alphabrew March 30th, 2020 01:00 PM

Per Federal law, the OAL has to be >26” and it can’t have a stock. Since a pistol grip is shorter than a raptor grip, you’d need a longer barrel on the front end, or a pistol grip with a brace attachment on the back end.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP