Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Western Maryland (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Beware this Ford dealership in Grantsville (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=218351)

Alphabrew December 27th, 2017 08:29 AM

Beware this Ford dealership in Grantsville

My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehlís Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesnít drive a lot and sheís only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincolnís head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehlís Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.

pbharvey December 27th, 2017 08:37 AM

I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

Mightydog December 27th, 2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbharvey (Post 5040688)
I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

BS! How many miles did she have on them? They do recommend getting them in pairs. My Ford Explorer had 16k when one of my 20" Hancooks had a flat. Was able to purchase only one from the dealer. Still close to $300.

Zzzzz_man December 27th, 2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphabrew (Post 5040678)
My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehlís Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesnít drive a lot and sheís only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincolnís head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehlís Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.

That's some scumbag BS. I'd call Ford and just to be a jerk, I'd call the manufacturer of those OEM tires (probably Continental) and report that dealer for disparaging their product and lying to the customer. Ford has been YUUUUUGE on tires sales/service as a means to retain customers on their Service Drive. If they have some ding dongs in Grantsville pulling that kind of nonsense on elderly customers, they should suffer the consequences.

Get an e-mail address, forward photos of the tire tread/depth and their recommendation to replace directly to Ford. I can almost guarantee that you'll get satisfaction.

GolfR December 27th, 2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

This isnít uncommon with big retailers. They must follow all manufacture recommendations (car and tire) or they open themselves up to lawsuits. When I went to Costco for tires, they wouldnít sell me anything but the highest speed rating tires for my car which were of course the most expensive version. I challenged them asking why I would be required to buy tire with a speed rating over 150 mph when I obviously couldnít drive that fast anywhere AND my car is electronically limited to 135 (from the factory anyway ;)). All I could get was that they had to follow all manufacture recommendations. I got nothing more than the explanation of ďCostco policyĒ. I ended up buying those tires because they were really good tires and they ended up being significantly cheaper than even ordering the lower grade tires online.

I did verify that VWís recommendation matches what the Costco rep stated. Iím guessing itís a left over from their recommendations for those in Europe that actually get to drive cars the way they were designed. You canít expect the person at the register to bend any rules for you, there is simply no upside for them for doing it and there is a lot of downside...like losing their job for not following process.

-Z/28- December 27th, 2017 09:31 AM

Sounds like she just got a bad service writer. Some dealers give bonuses for selling tires, as well as batteries and fluid services. Unfortunately this results in some writers getting a bit predatory.

Keep an eye on her mail and email for a survey from Ford. Slam him on the survey and he'll likely feel it on his paycheck.

Blaster229 December 27th, 2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.

zoostation December 27th, 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaster229 (Post 5040872)
You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.

Uneven tread causes the tires to rotate at slightly different speeds, which the computer reads as a traction variance and engages the AWD differential. And since the uneven tread is always there making the AWD differential mechanism run constantly it burns it up. Or so I am told.

I think Subaru systems and a couple of others are noted for this. I used to replace my AWD BMW tires in pairs and never had an issue. But that's a different system.

pbharvey December 27th, 2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaster229 (Post 5040872)

I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.

Blaster229 December 27th, 2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbharvey (Post 5040889)
I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.

My 2015 Trailhawk sure was. I ditched it for my new 4 Runner.