Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Western Maryland (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yough river and water flow (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=214594)

DadOSix September 10th, 2017 02:25 PM

Yough river and water flow

Ok guys, I need some school here.

MomOSix and I spent the weekend in a cabin near the Deep Creek Hydro plant at the base of Hoyes Run Rd.

Nice little place, but I am sitting there, drinking a cold brew, watching a guy fly fishing, and pondering the flow of water.

So, I used to get Muddy Creek and Swallow Falls confused. Now I think I know the difference.

But it seems to me that the river is flowing South to North. If that Yough river originates somewhere north of me, way up in PA, why does it not flow North to South.

I can't figure it out! Was going to ask a trout fisherman, but I didn't want the lure he was casting to appear smarter than me.

DadOSix

hodgepodge September 10th, 2017 02:31 PM

Yeah, it flows from somewhere in WV, roughly north, to McKeesport where it meets the Monongahela. Rivers flow downhill.

Huckleberry September 10th, 2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgepodge (Post 4924795)
Yeah, it flows from somewhere in WV, roughly north, to McKeesport where it meets the Monongahela. Rivers flow downhill.

The Monongahela also flows north towards Pittsburg

And the Shenandoah also flows north towards Harpers Ferry and the Potomac.

outrider58 September 10th, 2017 02:51 PM

It is on the other side of the Eastern Continental Divide. It flows north/west and dumps into the Monongahela River. That water ends up in the Gulf of Mexico.

DadOSix September 10th, 2017 03:53 PM

Aw ! I forgot all about the change in elevation!

No wonder I damn near failed geography!

Thanks guys.

Buff7mm September 10th, 2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DadOSix (Post 4924859)
Aw ! I forgot all about the change in elevation!

No wonder I damn near failed geography!

Thanks guys.

If I had to guess I'd say 90% of Garrett county is west of the continental divide and flows that way, but I'm guessing but I'm probably close. And please don't mention the flush tax, definately a sore subject around these parts. :mad54:

outrider58 September 10th, 2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buff7mm (Post 4924871)
If I had to guess I'd say 90% of Garrett county is west of the continental divide and flows that way, but I'm guessing but I'm probably close. And please don't mention the flush tax, definately a sore subject around these parts. :mad54:

You guys have flushers in yer outhouses? :toothless

Buff7mm September 10th, 2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outrider58 (Post 4924954)
You guys have flushers in yer outhouses? :toothless

:nono:shhhhhh, don't tell the state, they'll add some other tax on the my porta jon. Since its mobile it's like a shed, they can't tax it..........YET!!!!

DadOSix September 10th, 2017 08:33 PM

Sure was pretty by that old river. I could get used to that kinda living!

Mike3888 September 10th, 2017 08:57 PM

Was the place streams and dreams?