• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD-IAFF

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 21, 2013
    That's because lack of standing was the only holding at the circuit level. They ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing to sue in the first place, so they didn't reach the merits.

True, but assuming SCOTUS grants cert (which I won't be holding my breath over), they won't reach the merits either. They'll remand based on standing and direct a rehearing.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    True, but assuming SCOTUS grants cert (which I won't be holding my breath over), they won't reach the merits either. They'll remand based on standing and direct a rehearing.

Yeah. I know. I was just pointing out why the cert petition only challenges standing. I see this as a potentially simple GVR. Basically, "Dearth is right, you're wrong, try again."

Whether there are 5 votes for that remains to be seen.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    SAF/Gura's Reply Brief in Lane was just received.

He aligns with the NRA v BATFE (TX handgun purchase prohibition for 18-20yo) and SAF's Dearth v Holder (US expatriate handgun purchase) in bring this case up and highlighting a circuit split in Gov't standing arguments against various cases.

Attachments

• 12-1401_reply_brief.pdf
      89.5 KB · Views: 215

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    ... Or, misc. orders may come out in a day or two.

The easiest decision is to cite the relevant decision(s) on standing and GVR.

That would be most unusual. The Court usually does not do a GVR in the absence of a case that it just decided. Here, if it were that clear, it would be summary reversal. That happens but it is a slap at a court of appeals, usually reserved for the 9th circuit. Let's see if the case is relisted in the Court's calendar. Perhaps one Justice expressed interest and they may simply not had time to get to it.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Is it odd that Lane has not been relisted for other conferences? The per curiam and the statement re denial of cert cases from today were both relisted to multiple conferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom