Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Jackalope

Very odd visit from the ATF.

Had a visit from a gentleman who produced Balto. Co. police det. ID and ATF ID and stated he was investigating a missing AR15 from a local gun range. He had the paperwork from the gun range from when my wife and I visited and she rented a .45 so thats how he got our info. He claimed the AR15 was a rental that had "gone missing" since the last ATF inspection and they were interviewing everyone who had been to the range. He asked about me working for the railroad and if I went cross country or just stayed local, thats when a red flag went up. The gentleman left and I called the Balto Co police who told me to call Anne Arundel Co police and report it which I did and an officer came out but couldn't do too much since my dumb ass forgot the guys name. So then I called the ATF and after talking to a couple agents and getting a call back I was told it was one of their task force officers and he is conducting an investigation but they weren't sure on what. Then I called the gun range and the guy who answered the phone didn't know anything a missing AR15 but he'd have the owner call me back which he did however he claims he knows nothing about a missing AR15 and he has no idea why this detective was at my house.

So no one knows why this guy has my info or what he's investigating only that he is a cop and he is working with the ATF and unless the gun range owner is lying there's no missing AR15.

Is it just me or does this sound fishy to anyone else? Or am I being paranoid?
Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
iobidder
1 point'er

Sounds like you better dig up those stolen guns asap.
iobidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Trbo6gn

Sounds to me like you better lock your house up like a fort. Hide all firearms. With questions about your travel schedule it sounds to me like someone could be caseing the joint.
Trbo6gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4
PowPow

I like your checkups on his story! I think you have every right to be concerned about "investigational" visits to your home, especially those that are accompanied by questions of a personal nature regarding your travel habits.

I hope this is the last visit you will have from that guy or any of his colleagues.
PowPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #5
ADR

OP, it sounds like you were able to verify that he was legit via contacting the ATF field office so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the questions he asked in regards to your work travels. He's contacting you in reference to an investigation so it would be prudent on his behalf to gather information from anyone he contacts.

As far as the range owner not knowing anything, I suspect most business owners would decline to acknowledge an investigation being conducted by the ATF with customers.

You didn't commit a crime, you were just part of a paper trail that the investigator is following up on and you answered/interacted with him accordingly.

If you happen to have similar interactions in the future, try to remember to ask for a business card and/or write his information down while he's still there. (Sometimes tough to remember when you're caught off guard.)

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #6
BradMacc82

Uhh..., don't know what to tell you.

If the Field Office verified his affiliation and that the individual is still active, I'd take the paranoia down a notch. If they couldn't verify the persons' credibility, then I'd be worried some.

Sounds like your just another name to check out, and that's what's happening, so don't sweat it, don't get too wound up, it'll be in the past soon enough.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #7
ADR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacc82 View Post
Uhh..., don't know what to tell you.

If the Field Office verified his affiliation and that the individual is still active, I'd take the paranoia down a notch. If they couldn't verify the persons' credibility, then I'd be worried some.

Sounds like your just another name to check out, and that's what's happening, so don't sweat it, don't get too wound up, it'll be in the past soon enough.
Exactly. (Of course he could have been visiting to check the layout of your house for the follow up visit to be conducted in the early morning hours. )

Old December 1st, 2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
OP, it sounds like you were able to verify that he was legit via contacting the ATF field office so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the questions he asked in regards to your work travels. He's contacting you in reference to an investigation so it would be prudent on his behalf to gather information from anyone he contacts.

As far as the range owner not knowing anything, I suspect most business owners would decline to acknowledge an investigation being conducted by the ATF with customers.

You didn't commit a crime, you were just part of a paper trail that the investigator is following up on and you answered/interacted with him accordingly.

If you happen to have similar interactions in the future, try to remember to ask for a business card and/or write his information down while he's still there. (Sometimes tough to remember when you're caught off guard.)

Kinda along the lines of what I was thinking AFTER he checked out.

The range owner I can also understand as he probly doesn't want it getting out his range LOST an AR15! That sort of thing can hurt a business, also why I'm not mentioning it here.

No crime's here!

I know, I know. He came up on me while I was working on my next door neighbors van, kinda caught me off guard when he knew my name but then he showed me the paper work with mine and my wifes driver's licence's copied onto the range's paperwork for the lane rental.
Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:22 AM   #9
fivepointstar
Support IDF

looks like the Range you visited is up sh*ts creek for a missing AR15. you don't have anything to worry about.

ATF task force deputises police officer with federal powers since they are so shorthanded.

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:52 AM   #10
mdoffroad
Looking to Learn

or the range owner might have reported one missing that was sold off the books? who knows.. I would alway ask for ID, a business card and if you think you can get away with it, take a picture of him/her.

MSI Member
SAF Member
NRA Member
Freestate Gun Range Member (expired due to funds)
Amatuer Prepper
Relapsed Jeep Addict

AMERICAN!
mdoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
looks like the Range you visited is up sh*ts creek for a missing AR15. you don't have anything to worry about.

ATF task force deputises police officer with federal powers since they are so shorthanded.
Not really, step back and think about it.

AR15 is a semi auto rifle = no big deal.

The unit I commanded in the Army, lost an M16 (fully automatic) in the 70s. The FBI investigates whether it was found every year.

The dude was up to no good casing the OP. The OP should take some prudent measures to increase his personal security.
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM   #12
sgt23preston
USMC LLA. NRA Life Member

Very odd visit from the ATF.

Sgt Preston here...

Here is my advice to everyone...

When someone knocks at your door & claims to be on official business...

Get their business card & write down their name, height, date, cel phone number, etc...

Don't talk to them at all UNTIL you know who you are talking to...

Ask pertinent questions..?

What gun range, What was the date, What make AR, etc..?
sgt23preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:45 AM   #13
Billman
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I think this is how it all started for Randy Weaver, better hide the family now. The snipers are watching...
All jokes aside, this would appear to be a reasonable line of questioning. Shouldn't we want the ATF to find missing weapons? I would have asked for proper credentials and a business card or at a minimum taken note of the officer/agent's name. These guys are just doing a job and providing for their family.
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM   #14
jeffersm

Dont sweat it

USAF Retired
St. Charles Sportsman's Club Member
http://www.stcharlessc.com/
jeffersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM   #15
swinokur
In a State of Denial

Did he produce a picture ID first?
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM   #16
alpha2delta

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't
out to get you. I have heard of raids on the houses of many
people for no reason. Notes were left saying that ATF was
there and they found nothing.All this was in the late 80's.

Hope that this strange visit was not laying the ground work
for something worse. Good Luck
alpha2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM   #17
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Oh and no stolen anything here.
Give 'em time.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Half-cocked

I'm not a BATF agent, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... well not really.

If an AR-15 went missing from a range, wouldn't the obvious place to start looking be the last person who rented it, and didn't check it back in?

And if it wasn't checked out, why would you case up every renter who had been there that (day/week/whatever time frame)? Wouldn't you (a) suspect the people who work there first, and (b) check out surveillance tapes?

"One will soon realize who they really are deep inside after months of pitiful, lonely, and pathetic self pleasure." -PESP, on breaking up.
Half-cocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM   #19
Afield

I would have asked the agent to double check if it maybe was one of the ones they shipped to Mexico.

Or just assure them that it already has been sent to a good Mexican cartel and no more reason to worry about it.

Hopefully they have a sense of humor, although it is only half joking.
Afield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM   #20
Samuel
Banned

Someone needs to post that video about not talking to the police about anything, ever, even if you're innocent.

I'd have shut the door in the mans face mumbling something about a warrant.
Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues