Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Intercooler

Death beating last night at Elkton Acme

This may be the wrong place for this so move it if so.

Given the stay on shall issue this happened last night:

All the details aren't out yet but a Father who has some assault convictions beat a man to death in the Elkton Acme last night. Supposedly the girl (his Daughter) was 14YO and it was over a perceived look unprovoked. His face and head were bloodied and beaten in. He said nothing to the girl from reports. Accounts say he was sucker punched into a freezer and that began the end. The MD gun laws make it to where he couldn't carry and who knows if Acme has Security. Will Acme be on the hook for a wrongful death lawsuit?

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Intercooler

They just released the report:

http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local...9bb2963f4.html

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
teratos
My hair is AMAZING

Took a life over a "perceived look" from a teenage girl. I've wiped stuff from the bottom of my shoes that I have more respect for than I do for this guy. He also has a history of assault. I wonder if all were so petty.

C&R FFL
MD Designated Collector
TAKE BACK MARYLAND

teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
MikeTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Took a life over a "perceived look" from a teenage girl. I've wiped stuff from the bottom of my shoes that I have more respect for than I do for this guy. He also has a history of assault. I wonder if all were so petty.
+1000

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

1997 UK abolishes private gun ownership. 1999 Violent crimes increase 40+%, while in the USA crime rates fall by 12%.
MikeTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
frdfandc
Touch it

Sad thing is that I shop at this Acme quite often. I'd hate to see or attempted to be blindsided by someone else while picking up cold cuts because of a "perceived" look.
frdfandc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
sgt23preston
USMC LLA. NRA Life Member

Death beating last night at Elkton Acme

Sgt Preston here...

Given his stated brief history...

Perhaps the guy might just have "some" anger management issues...
sgt23preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Dave.B

According to case search he neglected his child support. He will kill someone for allegedly looking at his daughter, but won't lift a finger to provide support. Stay classy you inbred douche.
Dave.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8
woodstock

damn!

www.nra.org

www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

www.saf.org

Maryland State Licensed Handgun Instructor
MAG-40 Graduate

NRA Certified;
Handgun Safety
FIRST Steps Pistol Orientation
Basic Pistol
Personal protection In The Home
Personal Protection Outside the Home
Advanced Defensive Pistol
REFUSE to Be a Victim
Range Safety Officer
NRA Membership Recruiter
Non-violent Home Security Strategies
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Hdgmedic
Banned

Impressive! A baby-daddy who beats woman and is forced to pay child-support (allegedly, of course!). A fine citizen indeed! I see he is doing his part to put more drain on the system.
Hdgmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Minuteman
NRA Life Member

Tragic.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Les Gawlik

To the initial question of Acme's liability, did they do something a reasonable person wouldn't have done, or did they fail to do something a reasonable person would have done? I don't see it.

Old August 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Intercooler

I don't know and I guess we will see what gets filed. If they overheard it and did nothing you bet they will pay. At the very least the Manager on duty may get fired. I don't know anymore if stores have to provide security or not.

Old August 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
TyFromMD
Ammo Hog

I don't think this story has anything to do with the Second Amendment. To me, it sounds like even if the deceased was carrying, he wouldn't have been able to defend himself having been attacked in such a manner. There has been no indication that he had ever applied for a carry permit and subsequently denied for lack of Good and Substantial reason. Was he considered a prohibited person? I don't know.

It's a tragedy that someone lost their life.
TyFromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Almost beginning to wonder if the 14yo girl and the 55yo male deceased victim had any possible alledged sexual crossings in the past. If so, I can understand how a mentally short leashed (on a broken short leash) person could react.

If there was nothing in past history regarding the girl and the deceased, fry the perp.

"Lou = 1911 .45 snob....Then once you understand that Lou shoots my pistols better than me, you'll understand why he's such a pisser." As per Splitter(RIP).

"Lou is like a living, breathing, walking, talking, BIG F-U to Brian Frosh, his puppeteer in government house, and all their cronies." As per ma_deuce.

Last edited by Lou45; August 19th, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: word
Lou45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Al's Snackbar
Banned

So the end result is as follow:

One 55 year old male murdered.

One 42 year old male incarcerated for the rest of his life.

One 14 year old female who will either end up in Baltimore's "block" or a burden upon the nation's welfare system.
Al's Snackbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #16
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooler View Post
Will Acme be on the hook for a wrongful death lawsuit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooler View Post
I don't know and I guess we will see what gets filed. If they overheard it and did nothing you bet they will pay.+++ At the very least the Manager on duty may get fired.*** I don't know anymore if stores have to provide security or not.###
+++ If "they" you make reference to are the employees on duty in the store at the time in question, I don't think "they" are liable for anything in this case providing the attacker was not an employee. If the employees condoned, supported, and rallied around and/or egged on the fight/attack, then yes, "they" could be held responsible to some degree.

*** Why would the "manager on duty" get fired providing he knew nothing of it untill the damage is well underway??? Would seem to me the employee's/manager's responsibilities end at dialing 911 if they are aware of the occurance.

### The store provide security from some alledged nutjob??? How would a store, or the employees on duty thereof, be held ultimately responsible for your safety and well being from an alledged nutjob??? AFAIK, the alledged nutjob in question didn't go running into the store shouting and hollering, "I'm going to kill you, you no good @#$%^&*(@#)^%$#@!!!!!!!!!! Again, your personal safety/security falls into your own hands. Just another note; law enforcement officers are not on duty to garantee your protection, so how can a "retail store" garantee the same???

BTW, IANAL.

"Lou = 1911 .45 snob....Then once you understand that Lou shoots my pistols better than me, you'll understand why he's such a pisser." As per Splitter(RIP).

"Lou is like a living, breathing, walking, talking, BIG F-U to Brian Frosh, his puppeteer in government house, and all their cronies." As per ma_deuce.
Lou45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #17
RobMoore
The Mad Scientist

I'm just assuming here, but maybe if he didn't let his 14yo dress like a hooker/pop star she wouldn't get looks from middle aged men.

A58581 / A28264
You may not be able to miss fast enough to win a gunfight, but you can definitely hit slow enough to lose one.
RobMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Intercooler

Maybe you are right. Probably still couldn't carry in there anyway even if MD does pass the legislation.

Old August 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #19
PJDiesel

This guy is a former employee of my wife's family's business (was there quite a while). I used to break his balls pretty steadily, guess I'm glad he didn't beat me to death.

We sold him our hand me down (company) car back in the day. He was a harmless geeky (but BIG) dude, bouncer at local bars over the years.

What a friggin frootloop.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #20
PJDiesel

If anyone remembers OKellys (formerly JJ's), he also worked there on and off at the door and bouncing. He fit the part there, semi-tough guy, needing attention. We were good friends with the owners and at one point spent a fair amount time (hammered drunk) there. I broke his balls pretty often and steady there too,... again,.... not under the faintest assumption he was capable of murder.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues