Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Florida Permit fingerprint cards wrong??

I used Maryland Livescan for my fingerprints. They advertise fingerprints for the Florida permit system, but when I submitted my application, I received a letter from the Florida permitting office saying that my fingerprints must be done by a "law enforcement agency", and as such, my Livescan fingerprints aren't acceptable. Has anyone else had this problem?

..........................................-Hanlon's Razor

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Mdeng

MSI Executive Member

All Finger Prints submitted to Florida must be done by a law enforcement agency. Several of our students have encountered this problem. When called, Florida advised that they will only accept live scan from an in state agency. So all non residents must submit ink cards.

Make sure to have the name of the agency and the address of the agency clearly printed on the back right corner of the card. There is only one clear area to put this information. Here's a link and quoted part of the instructions.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/for...446.pdf#page=1
Quote:
FINGERPRINT SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
You must submit a complete and legible set of fingerprints either on the FINGERPRINT CARD enclosed with this application package or by ELECTRONIC SCAN.
Your fingerprints must be taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.** Your local Florida county sheriff will provide fingerprinting service if requested and may
charge a fee not to exceed $5. There may also be a charge associated with the fingerprint service provided by another law enforcement agency. If you have your
fingerprints electronically scanned at a local law enforcement agency, please read the ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINT SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS included in this
application package.
I understand that Florida's instructions are a little vague. But it's their playground and we are forced to play by their rules.

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Does Maryland still do fingerprints? Last I heard, they were sending everyone to Livescan.

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Buff7mm
Hooligan #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Does Maryland still do fingerprints? Last I heard, they were sending everyone to Livescan.
Residents must do livescan as of around the end of march, not sure of the exact date, out of state people can still submit cards.

“The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” James Earl Jones
Buff7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #5
mrjam2jab

FL will only accept Livescan from within it's borders. Out of state you must your a hard card.

Prudence will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #6
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
AACP does Fingerpriting for FL Permits. The MSP can be "difficult".

The post/s above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing Gunsmith advice. My post/s do not constitute, nor do they create, a Gunsmith Contract or Warranty.

The opinion/s expressed do not reflect the opinion/s of Maryland Shooters or any Business and/or Organization.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Threeband
The M1 Does My Talking

Check with various LE agencies around you - when you think about it, there are a lot, what with all the police and sheriff's departments. You can use google, or just call their information number. They usually have limited days and hours, and always call to confirm before you show up.

I had mine done by the Carroll County Sheriff's Department, and they were very friendly and professional.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8

vous ne voyez jamais un chat mort dans un arbre

Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #8
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
FL will only accept Livescan from within it's borders. Out of state you must your a hard card.
I did a hard card. Florida won't accept it because Livescan isn't "law enforcement". (even though Livescan advertises they do Florida permit fingerprints...I want my $54 back. )

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #9
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
AACP does Fingerpriting for FL Permits. The MSP can be "difficult".
Thanks, Chad. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
Thanks, Chad. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Each Station has different days and hours to do cards. They only accept Checks and Money Orders from my memory, $5.00 per card if I believe.

I use them for my FFL Fingerprinting, and various Carry Permits.

The AACP site used to list times and locations for Fingerprinting as well.

The post/s above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing Gunsmith advice. My post/s do not constitute, nor do they create, a Gunsmith Contract or Warranty.

The opinion/s expressed do not reflect the opinion/s of Maryland Shooters or any Business and/or Organization.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #11
itsslow98

Harford County Sheriff's office has suspended fingerprinting since they are awaiting new machines. No ink prints will be done anymore. You can make an appointment to have them done at the MVA though. just an fyi.
itsslow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Broadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
You can make an appointment to have them done at the MVA though. just an fyi.
Is the MVA considered a law enforcement agency? I assume they may have Maryland State Troopers that do the fingerprinting. So that might suffice.

I know this is a hike for most Marylanders, but if you get desperate, you can go to the Loudoun County Sheriff's Department in Virginia to get prints taken. It is only $5 for non-county residents.

My home county, Fairfax, charges $25 regardless of whether you are a county resident or not.

Assuming that Maryland County Sheriff's are elected officials like in Virginia, I would check with Sheriff's Departments first. They would probably be most likely to offer a fingerprinting service. They might actually list the service, times and fees on their Web site.
Broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
esqappellate
MSI BoD Member

Quote:
Frederick County Sheriff's office will do live scan and ink prints every Wednesday at Frederick Law Enforcement Center (right behind the MVA). That is where I got my FL license prints done. Florida has not bounced it yet, but the app is still pending. They stamp the print cards with the Sheriff's stamp. Use the FBI print card -- they have them there.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

OK, Anne Arundel County police no longer do fingerprinting services unless it's for a liquor license. Baltimore County also no longer offers fingerprinting services. AA and BC Sheriff's departments don't offer fingerprinting, nor do the state police.

Unless you're willing to drive to Virginia or Pennsylvania for fingerprints, you're screwed for a Florida permit, now.

ETA: Thanks, esqappellate. Fredrick County Sheriff's Office does still do fingerprints; they're the only ones left.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #15
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
You can make an appointment to have them done at the MVA though. just an fyi.
I called Florida permitting and asked. No go; must be a "law enforcement agency". It can't even be a contracted company on behalf of an agency.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #16
JMangle
Libertarian Extremist

Carroll County Sheriff does fingerprints on certain days for a small fee. That would be a drive, though.

You could just smash someone's window, then you'd get fingerprinted.
JMangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #17
ProShooter

Quote:
I called Florida permitting and asked. No go; must be a "law enforcement agency". It can't even be a contracted company on behalf of an agency.
Be careful with the LEA thing too. I know of a few places hiring off duty officers to do the prints. I don't think an off duty officer doing prints on the weekend and making a few bucks on the side equates to having the prints done at a LEA.

I think the statement "Your fingerprints must be taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY." means that Florida expects that the prints are being done at the police station with the knowledge and authority of the agency.

I'm from Jersey, and I take firearms training very, very seriously. Please accept either reason to explain why I come off as an ass when I post about firearms training.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim, Chief Range Safety Officer
Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Utah, and Florida permits
SABRE Pepper Spray Instructor
12 year veteran - former law enforcement
Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/
ProShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Hotrod Diesel
Here for the Beer...

Well this sucks, I was looking @ where to get them done for VA, looks like its going to be a little more of a hassle then originally thought.

Thanks for posting this information, makes it easy on us lazy folk.

Good luck.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #19
esqappellate
MSI BoD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod Diesel View Post
Well this sucks, I was looking @ where to get them done for VA, looks like its going to be a little more of a hassle then originally thought.

Thanks for posting this information, makes it easy on us lazy folk.

Good luck.
I live near VA and during one of my trips to the Commonwealth, I just stopped in Winchester VA State Police Branch Station and the very nice officer did my prints for the VA out of state CCW permit free of charge. YMMV.

EDIT: You must already have the card, which is sent to you on request by the VSP, as part of the application package.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #20
Punch84

Baltimore county members can easily get prints done in Towson at the public safety building( corner of Goucher and Joppa) Thursdays and Saturdays. $5 a card. Must bring card with you.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues