Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

View Poll Results: How Do you Rate the MAK-90 (stamped Receiver)?
10 6 26.09%
9 2 8.70%
8 8 34.78%
7 3 13.04%
6 1 4.35%
5 2 8.70%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #1
fivepointstar
Senior Member
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,123
Images: 7
Rate the MAK-90

On a scale from 1-10 (1= Trash, 10=Excellent Battle Rifle)

How Do you Rate the Norinco MAK-90 (stamped Receiver)?


I guess the 10 is a Pre-Ban Top of the line like the PolyTech Legend. and a 1 is a crappy worst build you've ever seen.


Please elaborate!!! Appreciate feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mak 90.jpg (44.6 KB, 204 views)


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Jimbob2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,704
Images: 16
8 on a general rating. 9.5 on function. Age and time of import radically affect the rating. Assume this is early squared reciever. Add bonus points for milled
Jimbob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
fivepointstar
Senior Member
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,123
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob2.0 View Post
8 on a general rating. 9.5 on function. Age and time of import radically affect the rating. Assume this is early squared reciever. Add bonus points for milled
if you can find a Milled....almost like dinosaurs now.


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
leroygibbs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,195
Images: 1
The Mak-90 is one of my favorites.

If i could ever get my hands on a milled Mak, I'd trade a kidney...
leroygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Bigdtc
Senior Member
 
Bigdtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5,608
Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc
A friend of mine has a milled Mak.. He loves it.


__________________
My novel is now available...
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Sun-Mr...sis+of+the+sun

"you cannot conquer an idea with an army"-Thomas Paine

http:////mdpreparedness.com/forum/me...ter&referrer=2
Bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Jimbob2.0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,704
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroygibbs View Post
The Mak-90 is one of my favorites.

If i could ever get my hands on a milled Mak, I'd trade a kidney...
They come up occasionally in the sub 800 range
Jimbob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #7
sailskidrive
Legalize the Constitution
 
sailskidrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Route 27
Posts: 3,766
I paid $179 for mine back in the early 90s, haven't shot it in at least ten years. I used to shoot that crappy yellow box flame throwing NORINCO ammo in it all the time until they banned it from being imported.

The question doesn't clearly identify what we are rating it against. Other AKs? ARs? Cheese sticks? Individually hand crafted figurines suitable as investment grade art?
sailskidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Silverlode
Senior Member
 
Silverlode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Frederick
Posts: 3,155
I am far from an AK guru, but I will say this for the Norinco MAK90. A friend has had one for many years and I have personally witnessed him put probably 10K rounds through it and the whole time he never cleaned the thing once outside of an occasional patch down the barrel. I'm talking maybe 3 - 4 times. Thing has run without so much as a hiccup. I opened it up the other day to do break it all down and clean it for him and I couldn't believe the amount of crap in that thing and it just kept on running.

Edit: For the record, this is a square cut receiver.


__________________
Arrogance is no substitute for leadership

NRA Endowment Member
Silverlode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #9
fivepointstar
Senior Member
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,123
Images: 7
those who rated 7 and below. please elaborate!!!!

I'm not mad, i just want feedback good or bad. if rated 8-10 thats pretty good in itself but 7 and below I'm interested to know why??

I have a chance to pick up a Mak 90 I just want to make sure!!


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #10
rico903
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Timonium
Posts: 3,376
OP-get it.
rico903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #11
lee2
Senior Member
 
lee2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,772
i would rate the mak90 as only good.
i have one it, it had hammer mushrooming after a few hundred rounds.
the chinese did there one thiing as far as ak specs are concerned.
while other ak makers, romanian,yugo etc parts will interchange for the most part, chinese parts seem slightly out of mspec.
your results may vary.


__________________
"I wish i was a gunsmith,
cus gunsmiths are so cool.
They always know the answer,
and never play the fool."

-Richard Bachman
lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #12
rj1974
eating crayons and paste
 
rj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edgemere , md.
Posts: 10,302
Send a message via Yahoo to rj1974
Love my Mak and Polytech . The Mak has had 1000s of rounds through it and never a hiccup . If you have the chance to get one I would . I love all my Norincos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poly1.JPG (249.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg mak90.JPG (132.2 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg norincos.JPG (164.8 KB, 159 views)
rj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #13
SCARCQB
Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
 
SCARCQB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Undisclosed location
Posts: 10,078
Images: 3
The norinco mak90 is really an offspring of the chinese type56 assault rifle . Compared to other akm type rifles, it is one of the best. I really like the stamped receiver as compared to the milled versions. This is due to the ability of stamped receivers to flex a bit, making them more durable as compared to Chinese milled receivers. The trigger on the mak 90 is also very good for a military type weapon. I would rate the type 56 second only to true russian made ams. In fact, US special forces prefer the akm type 56 over any other akm copies. This weapon and it's variants can be seen in all areas of conflict in the world. When people refer to the AKs legendary reliability, they are actually talking about the AKM type 56. Or it's civilian legal counterpart, the norinco Mak 90.

If 10 is best, I would rate the norinco Mac 90 in pre ban configuration a solid 8. Only drawback is that parts will not interchange with European akm variants. But on the other hand, the out of spec parts are beefier. The receiver is also 1.5mm thick . Other variants use a 1mm receiver.

My akm type 56 -1 is my favorite akm. It has the under fold stock and deep blue finish. This is the only one in my collection that has bragging rights of not a single jam. This only applies to rifles that I shoot and have owned for more than 10 years. Even with a steady diet of Chinese and Russian steel cased ammo.

My Dad has a akm type 56 rewet from the Vietnam war. This is a good as it gets. I have several akm variants and the mak 90 is closest to a true military akm. Again, when Vietnam vets talk about the ak.. It's the type 56 .. These were very prolific and still in use today.


__________________
Designated Stamp Collector
Gone Glocking
SCARCQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #14
rob-cubed
In need of moderation
 
rob-cubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Holding the line in Baltimore
Posts: 3,261
The Chinese make great AKs, though they took the original Russian design and tweaked it to their preferences.

The MAK and the older pre-bans are a unique blend of original AK-47 milled parts on a beefier stamped AKM-style receiver--50% thicker more like the RPK light machine gun. IMO the fit and finish on Chinese parts is impeccable and they have some of the best factory fire control groups (replacing with a Tapco G2 is a real shame). The only thing I don't like about them is the hooded front sight.

Both the stamped and milled versions are great buys, although they've almost doubled in price since I bought mine a few years ago. Wish I'd bought more... The milled MAK-91s are basically just neutered Polytech Legends at less than half the cost.
rob-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #15
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,355
I gave it an 8. Its one of my favorites and they are still affordable. I just finished one today and it reaffirmed why the Chinese AK's are my favorite.

I only give them an 8 because of the blued finish. Once a refinish is done its a solid 9.5


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #16
guthook
Snapperhead
 
guthook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Mary's
Posts: 6,457
Images: 13
Love mine. Only drawbacks were already stated here. Mine is a post-ban, neutered, slant cut, BTW. It's never failed on me. Excellent trigger for an off the shelf AK. Smooooth.

I like the HK style sight hood. Thick receiver, fat barrel, what's not to love? ...oh, yeah, the factory thumbhole stock cut from a 2x6.
Can't win 'em all.

I replaced mine with a Fiberforce thumbhole and I actually like it better than a pistol grip. To each, their own.


__________________
_______________________________________

"I call you a jerkoff, because that's what I think of you.....jerkoff."

-Ford Fairlane


guthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #17
fivepointstar
Senior Member
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,123
Images: 7
OK....What would you say is a REALLY Good price for a MAK90?


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #18
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
OK....What would you say is a REALLY Good price for a MAK90?
Stamped Slant Cut MAK $400-$500

Stamped Square Cut MAK $500-700

Milled $800-$1200


I like the NHM91 because they can be had for a little less than a MAK abd the barrel is thicker. They can be chopped and shortened and almost all have a square cut receiver. I only suggest a NHM if you plan to make a RPK Clone or chop it.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #19
yellowsled
I <3 Mosin
 
yellowsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Key West, FL
Posts: 7,103
Images: 71
Hot Tits!

Preban Type 56 caught in customs and neutered into a MAK-90



1993 import with Norinco Scope


__________________
Stuff For Sale (click)

FFL03, MDS, MSI, NRA, & SAF Member, FL CCW, UT CCW, MD D. Collector

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”
—Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg
yellowsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #20
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,355
What a MAK can be:










What a NHM91 can be:
























__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC