Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
mrwizard

Marriottsville range membership

I thinking about joining to shoot at this range. I would be shooting rifle (AR and target smallbore) and pistol, maybe shotgun.

Looking for advise. What are your thoughts.
mrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

You need to join one of the Associated Gun Clubs to be a member. Monumental is the largest but there are many others, see the AGC home page.

There are a lot of members who shoot ARs there.

When I was a member I left because of the anal-retentive range officers there, Other people on the forum have said that AGC got rid of them. I don't know.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Chris L
Bite me

I'm currently a member there. The did get rid of the range nazi's earlier this year. So far, I have not heard of any complaints about the new RO's.

As K31 said, check out AGC's website to get info on member clubs. Then contact one or some of the clubs and see about attending a meeting or two. Joining a club is very easy to do. Most of the clubs are very eager to recruit new members.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #4
alucard0822
For great Justice

I shot there as a guest a couple times, but more or less couldn't deal with the world famous range Nazis (had a couple issues with them), joined Hap Baker for less than 1/2 price and never looked back, glad they are gone though, the range is nice, and should be able to build membership quickly once they at least accomidate new members. I recently joined Windsor fish and game, it is a 200yd private pistol/rifle range 3 mile from the new house, costs $25 for the first year, $15 to renew, basically set up and run like a mini-Delmarva, 10 rifle positions, 6 pistol positions, suppressors and FA are OK (paper targets only though), and there are small berms throughout a big sunken field with a 50ft high ridge across the back.

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #5
mike_in_md
Distinguished Pistol#1549

PM sent
mike_in_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
I left because of the anal-retentive range officers there,
I shoot (when the weather cooperates) once or twice a week.
I can say in almost 10 years of shooting at the AGC I never had a real problem with any range officer ever.
I did have a couple try and give me some of their advice. Which in a couple instances was somewhat helpful but most the time was simply comical but they never really bothered me.
Learn the range rules and follow them.
After that how could you have a problem ?
They can be as "anal-retentive" as they want but if they are going by the rules then ...hey ...all is good...if not I am not one to be silent I will let them (or any one else on the firing line) know.
The AGC does have an outstanding facility with a nice 200 Yd range.
If you join go with Greenbelt gun club because the dues are only $25 per year on top of the AGC range badge cost.
I would still have a AGC range badge but the 45+ min drive was killing me in gas and time.
I shoot at Berwyn now and the less than 10 min drive is worth (to me) the cost.
I keep my Greenbelt Gun Club membership just in case
Garand1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #7
GunnyHwy

The AGC is much better now. The facilities are great and the new RO's are friendly.
GunnyHwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #8
K31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1957 View Post
Learn the range rules and follow them.
After that how could you have a problem ?
They can be as "anal-retentive" as they want but if they are going by the rules then ...hey ...all is good...if not I am not one to be silent I will let them (or any one else on the firing line) know.
Okay, they can be as anal-retentive as they want to be. I don't mind be corrected, what I mind is how. I've been a range officer. We were taught by an ex-LEO. We were taught not to try to publicly humiliate anyone when we could take them aside and speak to them privately. I would not even mind it personally if they did it within ear shot of someone else. I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way. AGC has one less member. Maybe they have more than one less member because of these guys if you read some of the other posts on this topic. I also remember that the monthly newsletter had a blurb in it asking members not to confront ROs but to report incidents to club officers. So maybe some others had these run-ins to. The point is they went way beyond what was need for safeties sake. The range is, a place I and others go for enjoyment.

I don't know, maybe there were club rules that said it you were a RO standing by the club house and saw two guys setting up to shoot off hand on bench rest-only benches then the proper course of action was to run behind the firing line yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!" causing me at least to believe that someone had strayed onto a live range. If their were such rules then I guess yeah, I have to plead ignorance.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

Old July 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way.
They never did that to me.
However if they did I would set them straight in the same fashion without hesitation.
Just the way I am
I had an employer try that with me many years ago and I let him know quick and he was paying me.
At a place I am paying my money to be at lets just say that person would be clear on how I felt about it
Garand1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Chris L
Bite me

I did not have an experience as like K31, however, my one bad experience with the range nazi could have led to serious safety issue.

Earlier this year, I was at the range with my father-in-law, and as it should be when a cease fire is called, the range nazi used the PA system to ensure that everyone on the firing line heard. However, when he called the line hot, he shouted it, not using the PA, so only the people directly in front of the range house heard him.

We were off to the side, and heard him say something, but did not understand what. When we saw people loading rifles, we yelled over if the line was hot or not. Apparently this upset the range nazi and he replied with something like, "yes the line is hot, pay f@$%ing attention next time". I came very close to tearing him a new one, but my father-in-law convinced me to save it and report him at our next club meeting.

It was at the next club meeting that I found out that the AGC had let the two range nazis go and had hired two new RO's.

Apparently, there were a lot of verbal complaints about the two old RO's, but not many people submitted formal, written complaints. According to my club pres., unless the complaint was documented in writing, the AGC officers did not address it.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #11
GunnyHwy

So for anyone who has been there within the last few months wouldn't you agree that the new RO's are much better and that this issue has been rectified?
GunnyHwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #12
mike_in_md
Distinguished Pistol#1549

I go there a couple times a week. I haven't heard of any complaints from members.
mike_in_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #13
K31

Basically, in spite of the apparent outcome, I was led to believe by club officers that the AGC was controlled by a bunch of old timers and our club had little sway over them.

Early on I questioned one of these RO morons about one of his "interpretations" but since I don't like wasting my breath I didn't after that. I was taught that it was wasteful and counter productive to argue with fools.

I will say that the RO who was generally there when I was there on week days was nothing but professional and civil. I hope he was kept on.

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #14
tigmaned

what club are you all talking about when you put AGC?? i live in Anne Arundel also.
tigmaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #15
DorGunR
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigmaned View Post
what club are you all talking about when you put AGC?? i live in Anne Arundel also.
http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

US Army 1950 - 1972
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
NRA Life Member
DorGunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #16
gamer_jim
Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I do not, however appreciate being talked to as if I am a 5-year old which is exactly what these morons did. Ok, they can be that way.
I've gotten that at Hap Baker before and felt the same way. I guess that's something you have to just put up with when you go to public ranges.
gamer_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #17
DorGunR
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I've gotten that at Hap Baker before and felt the same way. I guess that's something you have to just put up with when you go to public ranges.
AGC is a private gun club NOT a public range.

US Army 1950 - 1972
NRA Life Member
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #18
gamer_jim
Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorGunR View Post
AGC is a private gun club NOT a public range.
My bad, sorry. I'm a new shooter. Is this average for most ranges then, public or private?

I just remember my experience at Hap Baker and the RO's there where a little more abrasive then they needed to be.
gamer_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #19
DorGunR
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
My bad, sorry. I'm a new shooter. Is this average for most ranges then, public or private?

I just remember my experience at Hap Baker and the RO's there where a little more abrasive then they needed to be.
I've only shot at On Target and the AGC range and no one has ever bothered me at either place.

US Army 1950 - 1972
NRA Life Member

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland