Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
VaGunForum

Private Gun Sales

Hi All,

I'm not sure of current Maryland law concerning transfer of firearms between two private parties. Here in Virginia, all that is required is that the seller verify residency (i.e. see Virginia Driver's License) and has no reason to believe that the buyer is banned from owning firearms. I usually ask the question "Are you a convicted felon or otherwise disallowed from owning a firearm?" If the answer is "No", then I will sell to the person.

Just for my general knowledge, can someone explain the requirements for a personal gun sale in Maryland? Do you have to go through an FFL?

All that said - I have started a new website specifically for such personal firearm transactions. The site is modeled after Craigslist for ease of use. Each state is divided into city-based areas, which will allow for Face-to-Face transactions to occur at the local level.

Please take a moment to check it out at GunDeals.org. Listings are all FREE and include buying, selling and trading of firearms and ammunition as well as posting of get-togethers, dinners and shooting events (camaraderie and all, you know!)

GunDeals.org (Maryland section)

I hope that this turns out to be a useful tool for you.

Thanks, and happy dealing!

Last edited by VaGunForum; March 26th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
VaGunForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
gprimr1
MSI Board Member

In Maryland; between two Maryland residents,

FTF sales of unregulated firearms are legal.

Regulated Firearms (handguns, some rifles and shotguns) must go through an FFL or the State Police.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Hotrod Diesel
Here for the Beer...

I would say it is definitely modeled after craigslist...
Hotrod Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
VaGunForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post

Regulated Firearms (handguns, some rifles and shotguns) must go through an FFL or the State Police.

Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
VaGunForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod Diesel View Post
I would say it is definitely modeled after craigslist...
There's something to be said for "tried and true" ...and CL doesn't allow firearms.
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
gprimr1
MSI Board Member

FTF Sales Between Residents of 2 states are generally felonies.

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Boondock Saint
Returnedish Member

Quote:
FTF Sales Between Residents of 2 states are generally felonies.
Any legal interstate firearm transfer must involve a FFL.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
drking2

isn't their ftf transactions of long guns if a joining states? I remember seeing something about that at one point

Range Safety Officer
CPR/First Aid Instructor Trainer
US Army 1979-1987
drking2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
VaGunForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Any legal interstate firearm transfer must involve a FFL.
Absolutely - which is where GunDeals.org comes in...locate firearms for sale in your area so that you don't have to concern yourself with Interstate Commerce, which the Federal Government has really gotten a burr in its saddle about lately (Obamacare - Obama is trying to push it as an Interstate Commerce issue in order to secure a legal foothold for it).

But, I guess in Maryland, you can only buy some rifles and shotguns without an FFL and all handgun purchases must go through an FFL...so, it partially doesn't affect you anyway since an FFL already has to get involved.
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #10
jr88
Hello Friend

I like your idea, and good luck with it. I am always in support of someone trying to make an honest buck.

There is one thing I think the internet needs as far as sales of firearms/knives/ammo.This would be an industry friendly version of PayPal. I find myself leery of using a c/c on many firearms sites, as they seem to get "Hacked" more often then normal. I also don't like the idea of a "purchase record" being available for all of these purchases. I recently received a phone call from my cc company inquiring about all the recent online purchases of "sporting goods", so I know someone keeps an eye out. I'm sure someone could build a better "PayPal" that is not anti firearms and equipment.
jr88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Rusty Shackleford

Originalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr88 View Post
I like your idea, and good luck with it. I am always in support of someone trying to make an honest buck.

There is one thing I think the internet needs as far as sales of firearms/knives/ammo.This would be an industry friendly version of PayPal. I find myself leery of using a c/c on many firearms sites, as they seem to get "Hacked" more often then normal. I also don't like the idea of a "purchase record" being available for all of these purchases. I recently received a phone call from my cc company inquiring about all the recent online purchases of "sporting goods", so I know someone keeps an eye out. I'm sure someone could build a better "PayPal" that is not anti firearms and equipment.
If you have an android or iPhone, you can get a Square and handle your own credit card transactions.

No Attorney-Client Relationship. My postings or replies in this forum do not create an atty/client relationship and are not privileged or confidential.

Need an NFA trust? Shoot me a PM.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Mooseman
Hooligan #4

Good luck with gundeals.org. I hope it takes off for you.
Mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #13
HardHatMan
FBHO

Wow, that site is a great idea. I hope it does well, since I'm bookmarking it . Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
people have every right not to agree with or even accept the way others live their life...however people have no right to let that dislike limit the freedom of others.
HardHatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Boondock Saint
Returnedish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drking2 View Post
isn't their ftf transactions of long guns if a joining states? I remember seeing something about that at one point
To my knowledge, something like that works only if you buy from a FFL and it's something you could legally buy FTF in your home state. If not, it would have to be shipped to a FFL in your home state.

Either way, all interstate transfers of firearms have to involve a FFL. I couldn't legally drive to another state and buy a firearm from a regular Joe, even if it was something I could legally purchase cash and carry in MD.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #15
VaGunForum

I appreciate everyone's kind words of encouragement. The site will be nothing unless we get some posts up there...so if you have something that you want to get rid of, or something you're looking for, please put it up there!

Also, please let me know if you want to see categories added or anything else changed that will help the usability factor. I want the site to be useful, and feedback is encouraged!

Here's a direct link to the Maryland section: http://gundeals.org/-21_Maryland/
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #16
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

As a member of VA Guntrader, which is already a very active site, I suggest you take a look there, too. And as a member of VA Gunforum, isn't this going to eat into your site's sale section, too?

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17
VaGunForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
As a member of VA Guntrader, which is already a very active site, I suggest you take a look there, too. And as a member of VA Gunforum, isn't this going to eat into your site's sale section, too?
I know VAGT very well. I've spoken with the owner a couple of times and he seems like a good guy.

GunDeals.org is a nationwide site, not limited to just Virginia. VaGunForum isn't a site made specifically for buy/sell/trade transactions...it's more for firearms discussions with the Marketplace being a side item. So, I'm not too worried about the impact of GunDeals.org on VGOF, and I hope that VAGT continues to also do well.
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #18
boricuamaximus

Quote:

Regulated Firearms (handguns, some rifles and shotguns) must go through an FFL or the Police State.
fixed

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
1911's dont suck especially if they are Nighthawk, Ed, Les, or Wilson.
boricuamaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #19
VaGunForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuamaximus View Post
fixed
I had to re-read a couple of times to see what the fix was...now it makes perfect sense
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Jack Ryan

Is a M1 Garand regulated or unregulated in Maryland?

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues