Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Stout33

Turkey Hunting In Maryland

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a place to go turkey hunting this spring. This will be my first time hunting ever so I am pretty excited. Does anyone know any public land that would be good for hunting in April for turkey? I am near the Frederick area and I am just looking for any suggestions. Also, any tips, tricks, or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated; happy hunting!
Stout33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
fscwi

The MD DNR link below has some info on public lands available for hunting. Using a decoy and calls can help your odds. There are lots of call types, mouth, box, slate, etc., find one you're comfortable with and practice. Once hunting, a lot of hunters tend to call too much. If you should get a tom to answer, back off the calling until its moving in closer then use a few soft clucks. Good luck!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/...ands/index.asp
fscwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Copper
Shock Trooper In Stooper

I was told that there are some really huge turkeys in Annapolis.....I don't think you should hunt them though, they are full of sh*t.

Troopers are your best protection....UNTIL THE DEPUTIES ARRIVE!

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.-Andrew Fletcher

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Stout33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscwi View Post
The MD DNR link below has some info on public lands available for hunting. Using a decoy and calls can help your odds. There are lots of call types, mouth, box, slate, etc., find one you're comfortable with and practice. Once hunting, a lot of hunters tend to call too much. If you should get a tom to answer, back off the calling until its moving in closer then use a few soft clucks. Good luck!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/...ands/index.asp
Thanks so much! This site is a big help; I have been practicing the mouth call a lot and have been getting pretty good. Ironically enough I am good at using that and just terrible at the slate call. Little more practice and I should be good, but I defiantly need to get a decoy.
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
redrumtc

There tons of places up there green ridge when I first start I hunted public land took some birds just don't let one season get u down if you don't bag one there hard stay in one spot and dont owl call after sun rise I can't stand that like owls call all-day lol if you want to shock them use a gobbler call.. have fun be safe I will be in southern MD for the opener.

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Stout33

Thanks man! I am closer towards Westminster so going out to Green Ridge would be a little bit of a hike. Currently I have been looking at the Hanover Watershed area. I haven't scouted any land but i definitely need too. If anyone has any experience in central Maryland turkey hunting let me know some hot spots!
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

Turkey hunting = tick season, wear a gallon of deet.

In 1272, the Arabic Islamic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
steves1911

Frederick city watershed has a good population of turkey. I have never hunted them there but have encounterd them several times while hunting something else.

Old February 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #9
redrumtc

hey i will take you out around howard county you want a bird I will put you on some fast pm with your # one thing I do well is hunt and know were big deer lay and bird roost..

Old February 28th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #10
redrumtc

you must keep these spot close to you. I will call them in for you man.. I have decoys and I know were they hang up every year please on this spot just take 1 bird a year.

Old March 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11
anthonyjhallen

Come and join the rest of the addicts:

www.oldgobbler.com
anthonyjhallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:24 AM   #12
mykh11

I'm new to hunting in Maryland and was thinking about spring gobbler hunting at the Frederick watershed. Does anyone if it gets over hunted during spring turkey season?
mykh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

If any of you Turkey Hunters are looking to hunt in Garrett Co - Id suggest scouting out your area NOW!

Im already hearing the Toms gobble, and strutting -probably because of the warm weather. Heard one gobbling like mad near my house the other morning as well.

Have also seen the Toms strutting in nearby PA (Somerset) areas, while on the road.

Now would be a good time to scout. Look for where they are roosting, and plan your calling nearby.

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #14
jayc0968
Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
Turkey hunting = tick season, wear a gallon of deet.
And mosquitos this year- might get carried off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Creek Rock View Post
Im already hearing the Toms gobble, and strutting -probably because of the warm weather. Heard one gobbling like mad near my house the other morning as well.
I was thinking about this a couple days ago too, with the sudden early spring. May totally throw the gobble charts off this year.
jayc0968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Buff7mm
Hooligan #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc0968 View Post
I was thinking about this a couple days ago too, with the sudden early spring. May totally throw the gobble charts off this year.
They are getting very active, I've got a couple here behind the house that were really getting after it this evening.

“The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” James Earl Jones
Buff7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #16
furbyf0

back to the outdoors

Just started hunting again this fall. Lookin for someone to partner up with to go out for some gobblers? I have been scouting some areas in Carroll County and only bow hunt.
furbyf0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #17
bruceh

turkeys

Try Liberty Reservoir----a lot of turkeys. Hard to kill with a shotgun--harder with a bow.
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #18
DaveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout33 View Post
Thanks man! I am closer towards Westminster so going out to Green Ridge would be a little bit of a hike.
LOL, in the '70s and '80s I would leave Southern MD to turkey hunt in Green Ridge as it was the CLOSEST place to go! Hunted sika in Dorchester then too!

Heck I STILL head out to Alleghany or Garrett county to hunt fall turkey every year, even though them hills get steeper every year!

Guess it depends on how bad you want to do something
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM   #19
FFMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
I was told that there are some really huge turkeys in Annapolis.....I don't think you should hunt them though, they are full of sh*t.
Should be OK... The Vice President said shotguns were OK! Plus he recommends them!
FFMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
deadpunk

If u want an exper. Hunter to hunt with email me. Im a us army soldier stationed on fort detrick, just let me know
deadpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports