Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
swinokur
In a State of Denial

Marines looking at the 1911 again

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...pistol-022112/
swinokur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2
mikec

Does Colt make their frames/slides in the US?

I wonder if anyone would use the SA/Brazil connection to try to get SA disqualified?? Of course, someone might approve of the SA gun if the US government wants something from Brazil or to smooth any rough edges over with Brazil.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
hairba111
XGMG2

No complaints here.

"I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same."

When it comes to firearms, a license or permit only ALLOWS us to own or carry a firearm. The SECOND AMENDMENT GUARANTEES that we CAN! We don't need to be ALLOWED to. Therefore licenses and permits are UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
hairba111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4
TopShot0352

Makes me sad to read this after being stuck with an M9 haha

TopShot0352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
trbon8r

Colt makes all their slides, frames, and small parts in the U.S. at their Hartford Connecticut plant.

I will wager that the Colt Series 80 firing pin system went bye bye with the guns they submitted to the government for testing.

As long as they ditch the shitty breakage prone Colt ambi safety, and replace with an EGW strong side safety, Colt will have a hell of a nice gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
The original 1911 design using Milspec parts is as reliable as a Glock.
trbon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #6
redrumtc

I know when I was leavening the army they had been talk about going back to them ..

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #7
montoya32

They would be stupid to go back to them. Too many "modern" guns out there with higher capacity, better reliability and easier takedown/cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I have several 1911s and even carry one when possible, but a quality 1911 would be too expensive compared to other options.

443-463-3592 cell
www.themarylandrealestateblog.com
www.allhomes4me.com
www.whatsupharford.com

<a href=http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor target=_blank>http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor</a>
montoya32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #8
mikec

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbon8r View Post
Colt makes all their slides, frames, and small parts in the U.S. at their Hartford Connecticut plant.

I will wager that the Colt Series 80 firing pin system went bye bye with the guns they submitted to the government for testing.

As long as they ditch the shitty breakage prone Colt ambi safety, and replace with an EGW strong side safety, Colt will have a hell of a nice gun.
I haven't used a Colt ambi safety, didn't know they had issues. If Colt was smart they would buy their entire fire control group and safeties from EGW or Wilson. (Bulletproof line only)
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM   #9
trbon8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya32 View Post
They would be stupid to go back to them. Too many "modern" guns out there with higher capacity, better reliability and easier takedown/cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I have several 1911s and even carry one when possible, but a quality 1911 would be too expensive compared to other options.
Better reliability according to whom?

Higher capacity? Can you hit what you shoot at or not? The 1911 has the best trigger of any semi auto handgun ever invented and enables the shooter to hit what he is shooting at better than any other autoloader which is why it is top dog.

As far as easier takedown and cleaning goes, if you have trouble disassembling or cleaning a 1911, you don't belong anywhere near a handgun, period.

Quote:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
trbon8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I haven't used a Colt ambi safety, didn't know they had issues. If Colt was smart they would buy their entire fire control group and safeties from EGW or Wilson. (Bulletproof line only)
Yeah, the Colt ambis are weak, but they aren't any worse than most of the off the shelf guns. My wife's cousin broke a factory Colt safety on my gun. Then again he has a black cloud hanging over his head and could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. The safety snapped right at the shaft.

If you look at the EGW safety it is bomb proof. It isn't an ambi, but if you want the best strong side safety it is a solid bar stock part that has more thickness than the factory Colt part. When I insisted on an EGW safety, Chad fit mine up and commented that the frame would probably break before that safety would.

Quote:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #11
mikec

I just looked at the build sheet for my Colt, we used a Wilson safety.

George at EGW makes good parts.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
HT4
Dum spiro spero.

That is a bad, bad idea. The 1911 is many things, but it is not the best combat handgun in the world, which is what our men should have.

Nothing against the 1911 -- in fact I own a couple of them -- but it falls short of more modern guns in reliability, ease of use, ease of cleaning, ease of maintaining, firepower and durability. Yes, some 1911's have great triggers, but you can put a great trigger on anything.

To be clear, I am not saying that the M9 is the best, only that the 1911 most certainly is not.

[HT4 dons his flamesuit]
HT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Quote:

Higher capacity? Can you hit what you shoot at or not? The 1911 has the best trigger of any semi auto handgun ever invented and enables the shooter to hit what he is shooting at better than any other autoloader which is why it is top dog.

As far as easier takedown and cleaning goes, if you have trouble disassembling or cleaning a 1911, you don't belong anywhere near a handgun, period.

If this logic was valid we'd still be using 5 round bolt actions. The 1911 is a single action dinosaur as outdated as matchlocks. It might make a nice range gun but it has no place in modern combat. It had its day but that day loooong past. If we absolutely MUST have a .45, we need to give HK a call.

If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
montoya32

Quote:

Take a look at the M&P 45s. Take down is way easier and capacity is 10 rounds instead of 7-8, if 45cal is what they are stuck with. 10 rounds are always better than 8, no matter how good a shot you are. Oh, M&Ps are much cheaper too and the trigger can be upgraded.

I love 1911s, but there is no rational person who can say the better choice is the 1911.

443-463-3592 cell
www.themarylandrealestateblog.com
www.allhomes4me.com
www.whatsupharford.com

<a href=http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor target=_blank>http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor</a>
montoya32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #15
mikec

If the 1911 is outdated why has the USMC been rebuilding old 1911s for the MEU? Those guns fit the mission requirements.

No one is saying that every grunt will get a 1911, only those in certain units. 4,000 or so guns.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM   #16
goneshootin88

I have to agree - Why? Don't get me wrong, I have a colt 1911 and it's very nice, but it's a 100 year old design. Having the nicest trigger in the world isn't really important in combat situations. If they are going back to 45 then they would be stupid not to go with guns like the HK45 or FNP 45 tac. These guns are lighter weight, super reliable, and have basically double the capacity.
goneshootin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17
trbon8r

Holy crap. The M&P offers a whopping 2 extra rounds in a secondary sidearm that if you actually have to use it, means your M4 carbine with 30 rounds in it went toes up or ran out of ammo.

If we aren't talking about a military application of the 1911, CMC makes some mighty fine 10 round mags for the 1911 for the folks that plan on missing their target a lot if mag capacity is your thing.

Quote:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #18
trbon8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneshootin88 View Post
I have to agree - Why? Don't get me wrong, I have a colt 1911 and it's very nice, but it's a 100 year old design. Having the nicest trigger in the world isn't really important in combat situations. If they are going back to 45 then they would be stupid not to go with guns like the HK45 or FNP 45 tac. These guns are lighter weight, super reliable, and have basically double the capacity.
Having a nice trigger isn't important to hitting what you shoot at, especially in a stressful situation?

What makes the guns you mentioned "super reliable?"

Double the capacity? You either hit what you shoot at or you don't.

Quote:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #19
PJDiesel

Quote:

Double the capacity? You either hit what you shoot at or you don't.
Mmm huh, If I tag something with a .45, it's pretty much going down. 9mm?..... Maybe.

Well placed shot, not having 15 additional try's .
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #20
nomo613

1911s are great guns. for those that have not shot them, they dont hold 7 rounds, they hold 9; thats one less then the previously mentioned m&p.
nomo613 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns