Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Ares33G

25 Yard zero for 300 meters?

I tried looking through Google and found no results.
I want to zero my AR to 300 meters.
However, the range closest to me only offers 25 yards.
I'm far too lazy to drive further just to zero.
So I'm a couple meters shy to zero at 25M.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how big a target should be at 25 yards to zero at 300 meters. Anything close to a 300M zero would be great.

Thanks!
Ares33G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Klunatic

Here is a link to a 25 Meter target and instructions for 300 meter zero. Even at 25 yards it should get you close to a 300 yard zero.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/...ire_Target.pdf

NRA Life Member
Utah Permit
Maryland 365 permit Rejected 5/13/13

“A citizen may not be required to offer a `good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights, The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg, 5 Mar 2012

Take the Pledge to vote out your Representative's if they vote anti 2A
Scan the QR code www.mdwontforget.com/mailtool.php

Klunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
BlueHeeler

The correct answer is to go to a longer range so you can figure the ballistics for your rifle and ammo.

If you want a guesstimate, Winchester has a ballistics calculator that can get you in the ballpark.
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/
BlueHeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Ares33G

I appreciate the help you guys.
Ares33G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
steves1911

When i was stationed at Andrews AFB the only range there was 25m. We zeroed our rifles on a silhoutte that represented a human torso at 300m. When we went down to AP hill we shot pop up targets out to 300m with no further sight in needed. Im sure we wernt hitting poa on the pop ups but it was close enough everbody still qualified and most shot expert.

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Biggfoot44

In the rough rule of thumb, sight in at your 25yd. To split hairs , possably just barely low..

Disclaimer A: not a big believer in close range sighting for long range, sight in ( to a particular impact point) at 100 or more , then work backward to verify at close.

Disclaimer B : if you are going to do the close range sighting in , 50yds is more useful trajectory.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
peace

A lot of this also depends on the caliber and load. Shooting is really just a few complex math formulae put together. I highly recommend reading into the details of ballistics(specifically trajectory) while "zeroing" your scope. You will find that every shot at every distance and in every environment is different.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

When using the ballistics calculator, keep in mind that ar's height over bore isnt 1.5 inches. It's usually closer to 2.5-2.75 depending on ure setup. This makes the 50 yd zero much more useful. You dont have the bullet over top of your sight line as high for as long.

With 193:
50 yds-0
100 yds- +1.7
150yds- +2.3
200 yds- +1.7
250 yds- -.2
300 yds- -3.7

Sure beats it being +11" at 200

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
fa18hooker
99-9X

JBM online ballistic calculator: http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballist...culators.shtml

It's free, and you can choose G7 BC's...
fa18hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

Federal also offers a free ballistics calculator

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #11
tmcxba

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1911 View Post
When i was stationed at Andrews AFB the only range there was 25m. We zeroed our rifles on a silhoutte that represented a human torso at 300m. When we went down to AP hill we shot pop up targets out to 300m with no further sight in needed. Im sure we wernt hitting poa on the pop ups but it was close enough everbody still qualified and most shot expert.
The military 25/300 meter zero actually has one more bit to it. While zeroing at 25m we turned the rear elevation knob from 8/3 (or 6/3 for an m4), to 8/3 +1 , then zeroed at 25 meters, and set the knob back to 8/3 for the 300 meter range.

I don't remember how much MOA that one click of the rear elevation knob is though, and that was for M16A2 (20 inch barrel with fixed handle 8/3 elevation knob).

and apparently reading around on the internet some, there's different MOA adjustments for that elevation knob on AR-15's (outside of the obvious difference an m16 length rifle compared to the shorter m4 length rifle presents).

Been wishing for a while i'd got a 20in AR15 instead of this carbon 15 i have (about 16 inch with the shorter sight radius, and whatever genius at bushmaster it was that decided to put a raised rail on the upper receiver. Because of that there's no room for an elevation knob... should have got a different rifle lol... because there is no elevation knob i've really no idea how to zero the rifle for 200 or 300, and the shorter barrel changes the trajectory compared to what i already know.)
tmcxba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Flipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares33G View Post
I tried looking through Google and found no results.
I want to zero my AR to 300 meters.
However, the range closest to me only offers 25 yards.
I'm far too lazy to drive further just to zero.
So I'm a couple meters shy to zero at 25M.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how big a target should be at 25 yards to zero at 300 meters. Anything close to a 300M zero would be great.

Thanks!
My guess is that you go to Gilberts. Sorry to hear that. I live in the MoCo area myself and go to MSAR instead. It's only a 35 minute drive and well worth it. They have ten 50 yard indoor rifle lanes, aswell as fourteen 25 yard handgun lanes, and you can bring your own ammo. Also, its only $15 for the entire day. No hourly rate or time limit. It doesn't hurt that its the nicest indoor range in the state. Everything is brand new. Their new facility is huge.
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #13
OLM-Medic
Not Banned Yet

IMO the 25/300 zero isn't the greatest. I think the 50/200 is far superior since it pretty much is a flat trajectory up to 200 yards.

Income tax only exists so private bankers can make a steady profit off of your labor. Think about that.
OLM-Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #14
md123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLM-Medic View Post
IMO the 25/300 zero isn't the greatest. I think the 50/200 is far superior since it pretty much is a flat trajectory up to 200 yards.
FWIW, page 19 of this pdf file was helpful for me to choose a zero. It lines up 25 yrd to 300 yrd zero targets and show where the round will hit at various distances. It validates OLM-medic's post...200 yrd zero makes a sweet group at most distances.

http://gunwebsites.net/wp-content/up...troduction.pdf

Video version....

NRA Life Member
SAF Member
MSI Member
Maryland Designated Collector
Utah Permit Holder

md123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
cantstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcxba View Post
The military 25/300 meter zero actually has one more bit to it. While zeroing at 25m we turned the rear elevation knob from 8/3 (or 6/3 for an m4), to 8/3 +1 , then zeroed at 25 meters, and set the knob back to 8/3 for the 300 meter range.
Those are basically the directions from my M4 Colt Match Rifle manual. There are also a couple tables that give the delta per click for 16" vs 20". I think you can download the manual off of Colt's web site.

cantstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #16
platoonDaddy

If you PM me your email address, I will email you the following two targets, then you simply print and presto you are good-to-go

platoonDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #17
OLM-Medic
Not Banned Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by md123 View Post
FWIW, page 19 of this pdf file was helpful for me to choose a zero. It lines up 25 yrd to 300 yrd zero targets and show where the round will hit at various distances. It validates OLM-medic's post...200 yrd zero makes a sweet group at most distances.

http://gunwebsites.net/wp-content/up...troduction.pdf

Video version....

Too lazy to click the video...but...

For those who can only go as far as 25 yards or meters, there are targets out there designed so that you shoot at a dot at 25, but the impact is SUPPOSED to be in a circle below that dot. This gives an approximate zero for 50 yards or meters if you can only shoot at 25.

Income tax only exists so private bankers can make a steady profit off of your labor. Think about that.
OLM-Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Spatha

Standard A2 carry handle sight 8/3 +1 then back to 8/3 for longer ranges. You should put 5 of 6 shots into a 4cm circle at 25m or yards. If you are using any of the BUIS available contact the maker. They are all a little different. A general rule of thumb for BUIS is to just use the 300 setting.

If you are using an aimpoint, eotech, or ACOG hold (POA) center mass. Your POI should be about 1.5cm low. For minute of man shooting out to 300 red is dead. That being said if you look at any of the ballistic charts you will see there is some deviation at all ranges.
Google up small arms readiness group. They have some really good info (if it is still accessible.
Spatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #19
LeadSled1

Some stuff to flip through.

http://www.slideshare.net/MintchoMin...50987578391587
LeadSled1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting