• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Just bought a Beretta 92A1 from Engage Armament (Thanks Andy!) and I figured I'd do a bit of a tabletop review of the gun in the limited amount of finger-banging I've done while I've been waiting for MSP to not disapprove me. As always, Andy was quite helpful in my shopping process (namely, showing the pistol to me).

Now, ostensibly the biggest difference between the 92A1 and a 92FS/M9 is the rail, but there are a number of other functional differences that separate the 92A1 from the other Beretta 92-family guns (including the M9A1). While the 92A1 and M9A1 both come with a rail, but the M9A1 is far more similar to the 92A1 and M9.

The 92A1 is different from the rest of the 92-family in the following regards:

-Rounded trigger guard. Big aesthetic draw for me. I like the rounded trigger guards.
    -Replaceable rear AND front sights. Finally, the fellas at Beretta decided to give the 92 a dovetail for the front sight. Trijicon makes a night sight set for the 92A1, and I may have to get them at some point.
    -1913 rail with two slots. I think the M9A1 only comes with one slot (ironically?).
    -Recoil buffer. Looks like a little piece of blue plastic/rubber inside the frame. I'm not sure if this will reduce frame wear all that much, but it's a nice thought.
    -Captive guide rod. Yes, it's polymer. I'll probably end up replacing it with a steel one if the plastic guide rod breaks at any point.
    -17 round magazines, standard. Not a big deal to me, but it does come with 3 17 round magazines, which is nice.

As far as the feel of the gun, it handles much like any other Beretta 92. The added weight from the rail actually makes the gun feel better balanced to me. It's only an ounce heavier than a 92FS, but it is noticeable.

Overall, there's a lot of value-added features with the 92A1 over the standard 92s, and I'm pretty content with my purchase. I still need to shoot it, unfortunately. One unfortunate aspect of its relative newness is the relative lack of holster options. I'm probably going to get a custom OWB holster made at Engage, and hopefully more holster makers will start producing things fitted for the 92A1. Range report forthcoming. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• _DSC5212.jpg
      _DSC5212.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 1,204
    • _DSC5214.jpg
      _DSC5214.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 1,571
    • _DSC5217.jpg
      _DSC5217.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 1,148

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just bought a Beretta 92A1 from Engage Armament (Thanks Andy!) and I figured I'd do a bit of a tabletop review of the gun in the limited amount of finger-banging I've done while I've been waiting for MSP to not disapprove me. As always, Andy was quite helpful in my shopping process (namely, showing the pistol to me).

Now, ostensibly the biggest difference between the 92A1 and a 92FS/M9 is the rail, but there are a number of other functional differences that separate the 92A1 from the other Beretta 92-family guns (including the M9A1). While the 92A1 and M9A1 both come with a rail, but the M9A1 is far more similar to the 92A1 and M9.

The 92A1 is different from the rest of the 92-family in the following regards:

-Rounded trigger guard. Big aesthetic draw for me. I like the rounded trigger guards.
    -Replaceable rear AND front sights. Finally, the fellas at Beretta decided to give the 92 a dovetail for the front sight. Trijicon makes a night sight set for the 92A1, and I may have to get them at some point.
    -1913 rail with two slots. I think the M9A1 only comes with one slot (ironically?).
    -Recoil buffer. Looks like a little piece of blue plastic/rubber inside the frame. I'm not sure if this will reduce frame wear all that much, but it's a nice thought.
    -Captive guide rod. Yes, it's polymer. I'll probably end up replacing it with a steel one if the plastic guide rod breaks at any point.
    -17 round magazines, standard. Not a big deal to me, but it does come with 3 17 round magazines, which is nice.

As far as the feel of the gun, it handles much like any other Beretta 92. The added weight from the rail actually makes the gun feel better balanced to me. It's only an ounce heavier than a 92FS, but it is noticeable.

Overall, there's a lot of value-added features with the 92A1 over the standard 92s, and I'm pretty content with my purchase. I still need to shoot it, unfortunately. One unfortunate aspect of its relative newness is the relative lack of holster options. I'm probably going to get a custom OWB holster made at Engage, and hopefully more holster makers will start producing things fitted for the 92A1. Range report forthcoming. :thumbsup:

WOW! Nice! :)

I have standard 92 (used police), a new police model with tritium night sights, and 2 (Army + Marine Corps special editions) M9s.

Now, I think you have lite the flame...your pistol looks awesome! :party29:

I'd really love to have one with that 2 slot rail! :D

Very nice pictures! :):thumbsup:

Thanks for jump-starting my Beretta bug! :lol:

Cheers,
    Jim :)

Last edited:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    It's my understanding that plastic guide rods wear better, and that steel rods can accelerate wear on the firearm.

BTW, nice review.
    Hmm. The LEO trade in 92F that I got from Lou had a plastic guide rod. I immediately ordered a steel one from Beretta before I shot it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Very nice! A Beretta's on my short list. I'm just torn about which model to get. The M9 is so tempting.

Ah, man, this thread is making me lust for a 90two again.

Ironically enough, I wasn't particularly interested in getting a Beretta until I came across the 92A1. I think it adds a lot of useful features while maintaining much of what we already know about the 92 platform. I'm more of a revolver and polymer pistol guy (I know that's a weird combination), so this is a different step for me. I know I'll have to get used to the long, heavy double action pull, but I am looking forward to shooting it soon (I should be good to pick it up tomorrow). I'll probably head over to the range on Sunday and shout "Yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon."

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Do you share my concern that you are merely justifying your purchase and not actually giving us an objective review? I'm all for reviews, but you can't really tell us how good a gun is until the "new gun" aurora fades. That'll happen somewhere between 500-1000 rounds through it. Every gun seems awesome when it's new.

More pictures please?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Do you share my concern that you are merely justifying your purchase and not actually giving us an objective review? I'm all for reviews, but you can't really tell us how good a gun is until the "new gun" aurora fades. That'll happen somewhere between 500-1000 rounds through it. Every gun seems awesome when it's new.

More pictures please?
    No offense but have to agree. It's like you are giving your opinion on a restaurant you have never eaten at. The only experience you have is from reading the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom