Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
vin

Grendel P12 .380

Anybody know anything about these pistols? It seems they've been discontinued for some years and didn't cost much to begin with, and don't have much of a reputation.

Well my father in law has one and brought it to me to fix it (broken hammer spring). Seems like parts for these are few and far between. Since the designer happens to be the owner of KelTec would they supply parts?

From what I can tell, the hammer spring is a very common problem. It's a clock type spring, would it be possible to have one made cost effectively?
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
august1410
Player to be named later

They are a true oddball. The previous model, the P10 loaded from the top into an internal magazine in the grip. The P12 has a removable mag like any other semi auto.

As far as having any work done to it, or looking for parts, you might be better off getting another one. Ray's Gun Shop in Newport, NC has one with 2 magazines for $199. (Oddly, I know the previous owner of it....he loved the little thing.)
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
vin

I just don't think it's worth buying another one. If that's the case, a Kel Tec will be the way to go. But you can bet that if I find some of those springs, I'll buy several. With that kind of a known problem with the springs I dot think I could ever really trust it for self defense unless I could find aftermarket springs from a different manufacturer.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Leeann

http://jtjersey.com/Grendel/grendel.htm

This is the guy that just did a tuneup on Sam's (Mark75H) Grendel P10.

Leeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Sandy

Does anyone have the specs for the hammer spring for the p10, specifically the spring tension and the material it is made of?
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Leeann

The only info I have is from the site I referenced above, with the overall dimensions of the hammer springs:

http://jtjersey.com/Grendel-Pricing/...icing.htm#Tech

Leeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Sandy

Thanks I have kocated a company in nashville that may be able to make them if I can get the specs
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Mooseman
Hooligan #4

I have a P 12. If it broke I do not feel it would be worth fixing.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Oriolesfan93p

My mom has one, she bought it off my cousin a former Tenn. police officer, he used it as his backup weapon. He liked it, she doesn't because it happens to push against a spot on her thumb joint when it fires. She now uses a Bersa Thunder.

When showing the gun to my mom my cousin noticed a problem with a holding pin not staying in place and had to send it off to a gunsmith first. He had tried to contact Keltec about it but they said absolutely NO when asked if they sold parts. They bought the company but don't have any interest in selling parts for the Grendel.

He got it fixed for $25 because the gunsmith said the pin wasn't broken and didn't charge for the part, just swapped it with another that was slightly longer and a better fit. So $25 and shipping fixed it. This may be something that is as simple as finding the right person who has a spring. Good luck, my cousin liked the gun while he had it fwiw.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H Send a message via Skype™ to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolesfan93p View Post
They bought the company but don't have any interest in selling parts for the Grendel.

This is not correct; Kel Tec didn't buy Grendel, Grendel went completely out of business. Some time later the same guy started Kel Tec as a separate company ... Grendel was already gone by then, there was nothing to "buy".

I believe the spring is the Achilles heel of these guns ... once its broke, its junk. I don't think Jersey Small Arms or anyone else has any replacement springs.

I had my P-10 for sale here but no interest; ditto on the Kel Tec Owners' site. Headed to Gunbroker.com with all its original factory goodies next week.

If the public's will is not done now, it will be in November 2014. - - - Register to vote: https://voterservices.elections.stat...erRegistration
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Oriolesfan93p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
This is not correct; Kel Tec didn't buy Grendel, Grendel went completely out of business. Some time later the same guy started Kel Tec as a separate company ... Grendel was already gone by then, there was nothing to "buy".
I'll give you that, I was passing info that my cousin dug up. Maybe that was just what he thought because it was the same guy but he said. I apologize for giving out bad info. I do know that I was accurate that he called them up and they wanted nothing to do with helping him.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns