Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #41
narcolepticsniper
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineofSight View Post
These look real nice...

I use Oakley Pilot Gloves which are nice. The Carbon knuckle protection is not necessary for range shooting, but looks cool.
The knuckles are good for punching detainees...

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #42
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

I usually only wear a left glove. This is to prevent burning my left hand on hot AK gas tubes and to prevent stupid cuts on my hand when I rack certain competition pistols that I own. I have a fingerless glove for when I shoot shotgun, since the thumb section of most gloves get caught while I'm loading shells.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #43
GNLaFrance
RIP

I have a pair of fingerless weight-lifting gloves that I wear to shoot my M1911, the thickness of the leather over the web of my thumb helps hold down the grip safety.
GNLaFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #44
Spitfire22V

Gloves give me the psychological edge from the impression that I'm a skilled shooter.

In all seriousness, I wear them in cold weather, and in the heat, I suppose they would improve grip from sweaty palms and avoid potential burns from hot barrels. But part of it is that it just looks cool I guess.
Spitfire22V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #45
WheelHead
Head of the wheel

Only time I have worn gloves is when Im planning alot of shooting in of my scoped BFR 500 all afternoon. Even more so when Im testing out some 700gr loads. Just a little more protection for the hands.
WheelHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #46
Schwabe

was on the range today and it was just 40 degrees. Wore a pair of these:

Nicer then cutting your fingers on reloading those mags, setting up targets and cleaning up afterwards. They fit real snug and you lose little tactil feel.
Schwabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #47
Oldcarjunkie
Heavy weight

I only wear gloves when its cold at the range.
Oldcarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #48
Billman
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I wear gloves to properly coordinate my range ensemble. Gloves must match your 5.11 tactical gear and empty plate carrier.

No seriously, only wear them when my hands are cold.
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #49
platoonDaddy

When I shoot 124gr or greater with my G17, it is uncomfortable. Purchased a cheap pair of gloves from WalMart for when I shoot over 500 rounds per day, it is enjoyable.

Yes, I am an old puz, but enjoy comfortable shooting.
platoonDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #50
KMK1862

I've worn gloves when it's cold and once or twice to try it when shooting rifle. I did notice a little difference, but not much. I'll have to see if I still have the gloves in my range bag.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

"People who are not themselves are nobody." - Gen. George S. Patton

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Member of:
The human race
KMK1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #51
Biggfoot44

Certain true shooting glove have padding placed at the specific places where really heavy recoiling pistols impact on palms, 2nd knucles, web, etc generic work/ mechanic/ athletic gloves might or might not have padding in proper places. Helps to prevent pain bruises, and even eventual nerve damage >

P.A.S.T. initiated the concept, a cpl other companies make products that purport to be similar.

Other than that , for the above mentioned warmth, traction, protection from hot parts.

And don't forget the medical/ mechanic's latex/ nitrile gloves for cleaning.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #52
oupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfrance View Post
OK. I'm gonna ask another girl question, so brace yourself. Why do you wear shooting gloves? Is it to protect your hands from heat? Or, just to look "cool", like driving gloves? A girl's gotta know!
Since she isn't here I'll answer your "girl question" for my wife. She prefers to wear shooting gloves because her hands sweat. Additionally - and this is the really important part - due to her small hands or more particularly her long skinny fingers, most guns offer a challenge to keep a good grip on. Extended shooting sessions have even resulted in nasty blisters. The gloves protect from such things as well as improving grip... and yeah, they do look cool to!

One thing you should keep in mind if you haven't already discovered it the hard way. Low cut necklines are NOT compatable with auto pistols.
oupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #53
3rdRcn

Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr

I wear gloves when shooting for one of two reasons, it's cold and I want to keep my hands warm or the heat of the gun is starting to burn my hands. The latter is more when shooting the AR platform.
3rdRcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #54
JMintzer
Hoarding Douche Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwabe View Post

Nicer then cutting your fingers on reloading those mags, setting up targets and cleaning up afterwards. They fit real snug and you lose little tactil feel.
I have the same gloves. I typically only wear them when it's cold or when I take a tactical course and risk cutting up my hands...

Jamie

Not an "expert", just a guy who likes to shoot and knows what works for me...
JMintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #55
pakman916

I wear gloves because I'm paranoid from the exposure to lead at the range. I'm a little OCD, so...

It does make it difficult to hand load magazines. I use loading tools for most of my mags so it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I have the same gloves. I typically only wear them when it's cold or when I take a tactical course and risk cutting up my hands...

Jamie
I use the same gloves, and I can honestly say, these gloves do nothing with regards to keeping your hands warm. At least not the original Mechanix gloves. I think they make a cold weather glove or ones with full leather...which would probably work better.
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #56
Redcobra
Senior Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwabe View Post

How are they at keeping your hands warm in, say 30 degree weather? Looking for warm gloves for shooting trap and skeet.The Duluths I have are warm but too bulky.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."--Ben Franklin

Doesn't own any guns, but loves Guerinis.
All recently lost in the Bay prior to 10/1/13

Member - AGC, LRSTC, MSI, NRA (Life)
VP Homewood Rifle and Pistol Club
Board Member LRSTC
NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #57
pakman916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcobra View Post
How are they at keeping your hands warm in, say 30 degree weather? Looking for warm gloves for shooting trap and skeet.The Duluths I have are warm but too bulky.
See my previous post (I edited it). They don't keep your hands warm...trust me, I was outside shooting today. Better than bare hands, but not by much. (I think the mesh on the backside of the glove is meant to breathe)
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #58
JMintzer
Hoarding Douche Waffle

Quote:
30? Not sure. But I've worn them down to the low 40s, (the day began in the high 30s) and my hands were very warm. Very comfortable when shooting clays...

Jamie

Not an "expert", just a guy who likes to shoot and knows what works for me...
JMintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #59
soup101

Quote:
I wear the same Mechanix's gloves pictured above for Carbine classes when I need to protect my hands from heat of the rifle and from things like stones when going prone quickly etc. They work great for those purposes. I will wear them if its chilly (read 40 degrees) for all shooting purposes. When it gets colder then that I use a pair winter golf gloves and they work great at keeping your hands warm. These would probably work for shooting trap/skeet in cold weather.
soup101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #60
cyberfrance

Thanks, oupa. You really did answer my question. Thanks for the heads up on low sweaters. I can imagine that really hurting. I no longer wear shorts when my husband is welding firewalls either. It only takes one piece of hot slag in your shorts to teach that lesson!

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot