Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1
engineerbrian
JMB fan club
 
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 2,716
Is it an SBR or a pistol?

So i watched a few FPS Russia videos tonight and one of them was this little gem.

So as the title reads, is it an SBR since it has a Slide Fire Stock or can it still be considered a pistol?



__________________



Check us out on You Tube.
2A Guys And Gear
https://www.youtube.com/user/2AGuysAndGear
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Kingjamez
Gun Builder
 
Kingjamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,964
Sure looks like and SBR to me.

-Jim


__________________
MSI, SAF, NRA Endowment, GOA, MRPC, AGC, IDPA member
If it's not NFA, I'm not interested.
Check out my CNC'd AR-15 and Suppressor on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingjamez80?feature=mhum
Kingjamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Echo Victor
Member
 
Echo Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Harf Co.
Posts: 870
I'm no NFA wizard but since it has a stock, its an SBR to me.
Echo Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
rpker
Senior Member
 
rpker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charles County
Posts: 2,026
Images: 3
I thought putting a shoulder stock on a pistol AR was a no no...


__________________
“You say you have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!”
-Winston Churchill-

"...beneath this mask there is more than flesh, beneath this mask there is idea...and idea is bullet proof"

"One thing is true of all governments: the most reliable records are tax records."

-V-
rpker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Ruzo
Senior Member
 
Ruzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, MD.
Posts: 1,473
I'm fairly sure that's a big No No in Maryland. But I Like it!!!


__________________
*******
I Miss You Old Friend..... Rest In Peace Sunny Girl.....
Ruzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Kingjamez
Gun Builder
 
Kingjamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzo View Post
I'm fairly sure that's a big No No in Maryland. But I Like it!!!
Putting a stock on a pistol without paper work is a no-no anywhere. However, stamped what he is showing is 100% legal in Maryland.

-Jim


__________________
MSI, SAF, NRA Endowment, GOA, MRPC, AGC, IDPA member
If it's not NFA, I'm not interested.
Check out my CNC'd AR-15 and Suppressor on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingjamez80?feature=mhum
Kingjamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
mudskipper
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA resident who still owns a home in MD, and will visit it as often as he wants!
Posts: 2,857
I have wondered this, too.

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact.

One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

A virgin or pistol lower, with a rifle buffer-tube in place could be construed as constructive possession of SBR, but having the SSAR stock on it would not technically be an SBR because the stock is not attached.

But "they" make up their own rules as they go along, so being right or wrong doesn't mean anything...
mudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Markp
Senior Member
 
Markp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
I have wondered this, too.

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact.

One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

A virgin or pistol lower, with a rifle buffer-tube in place could be construed as constructive possession of SBR, but having the SSAR stock on it would not technically be an SBR because the stock is not attached.

But "they" make up their own rules as they go along, so being right or wrong doesn't mean anything...
Interesting, and of course, lots of fun...

Yes, the ATF will likely want to take as grim of a view as they legally can of putting one in contact with an AR-15 pistol. However they might not be able to make the legal leap.

No doubt, that they are still figuring out how to come up with a slide fire ban to begin with.


__________________
“We know there are people who want to take away our freedoms." - Bloomberg said about himself

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Kingjamez
Gun Builder
 
Kingjamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,964
A slide fire stock is bound to the buffer tube. It can't come off, even though it does "float" for a couple of inches of movement. It also has a locking lever on the bottom that fixes it in place. I think by any definition, it is an attached stock.

-Jim


__________________
MSI, SAF, NRA Endowment, GOA, MRPC, AGC, IDPA member
If it's not NFA, I'm not interested.
Check out my CNC'd AR-15 and Suppressor on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingjamez80?feature=mhum
Kingjamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
engineerbrian
JMB fan club
 
engineerbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fredneck
Posts: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
I have wondered this, too.

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact. One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

A virgin or pistol lower, with a rifle buffer-tube in place could be construed as constructive possession of SBR, but having the SSAR stock on it would not technically be an SBR because the stock is not attached.

But "they" make up their own rules as they go along, so being right or wrong doesn't mean anything...
Thats what i was trying to say, i just couldn't type it out so it would make sense


__________________



Check us out on You Tube.
2A Guys And Gear
https://www.youtube.com/user/2AGuysAndGear
engineerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Ethan83
Senior Member
 
Ethan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimoreish
Posts: 3,022
Images: 2
Pretty darn sure that makes it an SBR. I would be shocked to learn the ATF would interpret it any other way. FPSRussia has enough stamps to begin with, I would imagine this is just one more.
Ethan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Kingjamez
Gun Builder
 
Kingjamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,964
Can you do this with a stock that is not "attached"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.JPG (171.6 KB, 502 views)


__________________
MSI, SAF, NRA Endowment, GOA, MRPC, AGC, IDPA member
If it's not NFA, I'm not interested.
Check out my CNC'd AR-15 and Suppressor on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kingjamez80?feature=mhum
Kingjamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
midcountygunshop


Builder of evil firearms
 
midcountygunshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Preston, MD
Posts: 2,643
Images: 3
Been a while since I read the wording of the law, but even if it weren't attached(which it is), I don't think that is their wording. I believe the wording is something like 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.' Trying this on an AR pistol not registered as a SBR is sure to be in violation, in the ATF's eyes.


__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...#ixzz1eGRytVvS
Benjamin Franklin
quote from 'Lord of War's, "...that's one gun for every twelve people in the world. So, my question is, how do we arm the other eleven?"
midcountygunshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
ericoak
don't drop Aboma on me
 
ericoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,806
How is it not attached?


__________________
Too many people on the cart, not enough people pulling it.
ericoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
honda53s
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore County
Posts: 4,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoak View Post
How is it not attached?
I think he is saying if it is attached like his, it is an SBR.
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #16
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!
 
Combloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Washington county
Posts: 1,321
If you can shoulder the weapon and it has a barrel under 16", it's an SBR. A slidefire on a pistol makes it an SBR.


__________________
Stop negassing me!!!!


If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #17
NateTheShake
11B
 
NateTheShake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harford County (USA!!!)
Posts: 1,252
Images: 67
It's called a Slidefire STOCK. Adding a stock to a pistol or pistol-length rifle is definitely an SBR.

However I would assume, considering he rents/borrows the majority of the guns on his vids, this is probably a dealer's gun that is correctly registered. I don't have time to look it up now, but he said in one of his videos how he gets most of his toys... he plugs the shop on his site or in the vid and they loan him cool stuff to try out. He still uses the term "my" for each gun, but they rarely are his... like the Bofors 40mikemike.


__________________
"The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you." - Ender Wiggin

"Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.' -Mazer Rackham
NateTheShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #18
Markp
Senior Member
 
Markp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
Can you do this with a stock that is not "attached"?
well yes, if it is hanging like shirt on clothes hanger. What defines "attached"? Is it the lack of movement between parts, or the inability to separate them by a minimum given distance?

If they are independently moving, are they really "attached"?

As far as the name "slide fire stock", what if I called it the slide fire shoulder protector... would that change the fact that it's not attached to the rifle. Don't get hung up on the name. I could stamp HBAR on a lightweight AR barrel, that doesn't make it an HBAR.


__________________
“We know there are people who want to take away our freedoms." - Bloomberg said about himself

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #19
Ab_Normal
Ab_member
 
Ab_Normal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by midcountygunshop View Post
Been a while since I read the wording of the law, but even if it weren't attached(which it is), I don't think that is their wording. I believe the wording is something like 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.' Trying this on an AR pistol not registered as a SBR is sure to be in violation, in the ATF's eyes.
But is it really fired from the shoulder? All the slide fire does is allow the rest of the firearm to reciprocate. I would imagine sawing off the "buttstock" part would turn the slidefire into an acceptable version that could be used on a pistol.


__________________
"No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." obama addressing a Sandy Hook memorial service 12/16/2012

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #20
ericoak
don't drop Aboma on me
 
ericoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheShake View Post
It's called a Slidefire STOCK. Adding a stock to a pistol or pistol-length rifle is definitely an SBR.

However I would assume, considering he rents/borrows the majority of the guns on his vids, this is probably a dealer's gun that is correctly registered. I don't have time to look it up now, but he said in one of his videos how he gets most of his toys... he plugs the shop on his site or in the vid and they loan him cool stuff to try out. He still uses the term "my" for each gun, but they rarely are his... like the Bofors 40mikemike.
That was before he made a crapload of money with his youtube video. He does buy some transferables now, like a m2.


__________________
Too many people on the cart, not enough people pulling it.
ericoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC