Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
NY Transplant
Wabbit Season/Duck Season

Gun Confiscation at our Doorstep

As the Canadians are wrestling with the elimination of firearms registration, there appears to be a last ditched effort to confiscate guns that the government has recently reclassified as prohibited weapons.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/12...r-rifle-owners

Are we next?

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Transplant View Post
Are we next?
Big difference between Canada and the USA.

It's called the Second Amendment (we have it, they don't).
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
WeaponsCollector
Disgruntled Voter

Gun registration/licensing is exactly what makes confiscation possible.
gungirl.jpg

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to
prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams

"The peaceable part of mankind will be continually
overrun by the vile and abandoned, while they neglect
the means of self defense."
- Thomas Paine

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at
large is that they be properly armed."
- Alexander Hamilton

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone
who is able might have a gun."
- Patrick Henry

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- President Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being
armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose
governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
- James Madison

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective
way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thinkagain.jpg (65.3 KB, 370 views)

Gun Control is the theory that a violent criminal who ignores laws against rape, robbery, and even murder would somehow care about gun laws.
WeaponsCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post

It's just a line on a piece of paper written by dead whitemen that deals with muskets for the National Guard it has no relevance in today's world.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Half-cocked

Quote:

That hasn't stopped our federal government from declaring entire classes of weapons illegal in the past, forbidding their manufacture, and creating such onerous restrictions on ownership of existing arms, that they've become virtually impossible to own. And it hasn't stopped various state and city jurisdictions from prohibiting them, outright, and making it a crime to even possess one.

"One will soon realize who they really are deep inside after months of pitiful, lonely, and pathetic self pleasure." -PESP, on breaking up.
Half-cocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
It's just a line on a piece of paper written by dead whitemen that deals with muskets for the National Guard it has no relevance in today's world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-cocked View Post
That hasn't stopped our federal government from declaring entire classes of weapons illegal in the past, forbidding their manufacture, and creating such onerous restrictions on ownership of existing arms, that they've become virtually impossible to own. And it hasn't stopped various state and city jurisdictions from prohibiting them, outright, and making it a crime to even possess one.
The SCOTUS deemed RKBA as an indivual right in Heller. No Confiscations are in the foreseeable future.
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
kohburn
Resident MacGyver

but allowed restrictions

canada isn't losing all its guns only the ones deemed prohibited.

by the current ruling as long as we are allowed to have some guns they can prohibit a lot of them and then confiscate them.

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
NY Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-cocked View Post
That was one of the fears I had living in New York state. If I buy a particular gun and 6 months down the road it becomes illegal, I would have to either have to turn it in, sell it to someone out of state or it becomes a permanent safe queen never mentioning it or showing it to anyone.

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #9
NY Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
but allowed restrictions

canada isn't losing all its guns only the ones deemed prohibited.

by the current ruling as long as we are allowed to have some guns they can prohibit a lot of them and then confiscate them.
It started that way in England. First it was handguns, then all semi-automatic firearms, and finally it was all firearms.

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #10
aquaman

Canada is a joke of a country. I don't want to even get started on it. Each province of Canada does more trade with the US State to its south than the rest of the 'country'.
aquaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Indiana Jones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Canada is a joke of a country. I don't want to even get started on it. Each province of Canada does more trade with the US State to its south than the rest of the 'country'.
We should annex them and demolish most of their cities. Turn it into a MASSIVE wildlife preserve. That much more hunting land for us.
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #12
annihilation-time
MOLON LABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicidalNun View Post
We should annex them and demolish most of their cities. Turn it into a MASSIVE wildlife preserve. That much more hunting land for us.
Sounds reasonable to me.
annihilation-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Robert
Having Fun Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Transplant View Post
It started that way in England. First it was handguns, then all semi-automatic firearms, and finally it was all firearms.
Yep. Anyone just taking a simple cursory look at past and current laws can see many examples of freedoms being slowly removed from the citizenry.

The real goal here is to make these laws on a federal level, so the citizenry cannot escape there power by moving to another state.

2014 "Change the Future"

-R
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #14
mudskipper
Banned

Location: VA resident who still owns a home in MD, and will visit it as often as he wants!
I'm not participating in any new gun laws, gun restrictions or gun bans.
mudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #15
yellowfin
Pro 2A Gastronome

Send a message via AIM to yellowfin
Quote:
The SCOTUS deemed RKBA as an indivual right in Heller. No Confiscations are in the foreseeable future.
Until one of 5 people has a heart attack or a car accident. I recall some of the smart people on our side saying that Sotomayor and Kagan didn't make a difference getting appointed, which is CATASTROPHICALLY short sighted to say the least. We need at least 6-3 if not 7-2 as insurance against something going wrong.

This election scares me and quite frankly I'm disgusted at being scared. I shouldn't have to fear government or elections. I shouldn't have to be afraid that this generation is the generation which Reagan said is the only distance between freedom becoming extinct. I don't have time for this crap, quite honestly, I just want to get on with improving my life by pursuing making more money and family stuff--but I can't just ignore this because too many people already have so the burden is on me. They get to slack off and not care and be casual gun owners ("Fudds", etc.) and they don't care whether I lose being able to buy the guns I want. I have to pile on the credit cards to buy now what I might not be able to in 5-10 years when I have more money because of those ***holes, and quite frankly it makes me very angry. I have to shell out $$$ for instructor training because they're not out doing it in sufficient numbers or we wouldn't be having this problem.

Is anyone other than me having this problem? I understand that freedom costs something, but the more the loss of freedom sucks the more the 2nd worse option, having to labor and spend to maintain it, increases in level of suckage along with it.

Old January 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
mlance238

The comments in that article are horrifying. Specifically the ones who had their guns confiscated. Wow.
mlance238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #17
NY Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlance238 View Post
The comments in that article are horrifying. Specifically the ones who had their guns confiscated. Wow.
Glad to know that I am not the only one that noticed that.

Old January 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #18
WeaponsCollector
Disgruntled Voter

Captaincanuk posted:

Quote:
"To all those trusting fools who registered their long guns....told you so! Real Canadians hide 'em!"
And so would real Americans, no doubt about it.
History teaches that we must NEVER cooperate with gun registration or licensing.
All it's for is to make confiscation possible.
WeaponsCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #19
methlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
Until one of 5 people has a heart attack or a car accident. I recall some of the smart people on our side saying that Sotomayor and Kagan didn't make a difference getting appointed, which is CATASTROPHICALLY short sighted to say the least. We need at least 6-3 if not 7-2 as insurance against something going wrong.

This election scares me and quite frankly I'm disgusted at being scared. I shouldn't have to fear government or elections. I shouldn't have to be afraid that this generation is the generation which Reagan said is the only distance between freedom becoming extinct. I don't have time for this crap, quite honestly, I just want to get on with improving my life by pursuing making more money and family stuff--but I can't just ignore this because too many people already have so the burden is on me. They get to slack off and not care and be casual gun owners ("Fudds", etc.) and they don't care whether I lose being able to buy the guns I want. I have to pile on the credit cards to buy now what I might not be able to in 5-10 years when I have more money because of those ***holes, and quite frankly it makes me very angry. I have to shell out $$$ for instructor training because they're not out doing it in sufficient numbers or we wouldn't be having this problem.

Is anyone other than me having this problem? I understand that freedom costs something, but the more the loss of freedom sucks the more the 2nd worse option, having to labor and spend to maintain it, increases in level of suckage along with it.
If the current administration can thumb its nose at the constitution, it will only get worse if they can back it up with a couple more supreme court justices, it will only get worse. What is there to do?
methlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Auckland
Get On My Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by methlab View Post
What is there to do?
United We Stand, Divided We Fall. At some point, people will either stand up for each other or give way. I hope they knock on my neighbors door 1st.

MSI Member
Auckland is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues