Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Gadsen Flag

shooting on your property question

Hi all, I'm new here and just had a question. I'm not from MD, but am going to my girlfriend's house in St. Mary's County for thanksgiving. Her house is on a couple acres and was i hoping to shoot my 9mm a little bit. My question is, is this legal what are the laws like for shooting on your property?
Gadsen Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #2
itsslow98

150 yards from any house or dwelling unless you have permission from those owners. Be sure to check city or local ordinances as well though.
itsslow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Markp

How are you going to transport it legally is the better question?

Hint: You need to find a legal reason in section 4-203 to transport a handgun.

Learn how to say, "I am on my way to an informal shooting practice."

Just saying, "I am going to my girlfriends house" will get you arrested if you get stopped.

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
paxfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
150 yards from any house or dwelling unless you have permission from those owners. Be sure to check city or local ordinances as well though.
So, that is with regard to hunting, correct?

Not that I am advocating shooting at targets while 50 yards from the neighbor's house...
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #5
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

having couple of acres doesnt mean anything.. check/ask whats the surrounding neighborhood (how far from adjoining houses/buildings etc.)

being in southern maryland its relax somewhat.. just depending on the neighborhood and local laws.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Gadsen Flag

Thanks for the replies so far. the neighborhood is fairly residential but her land goes back pretty far (I'm sure I could easily get 150 yards from the nearest house).
Gadsen Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Sportstud4891
Resident SMIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
I'm pretty sure you cannot hunt within 150 yards from any house or dwelling but target shooting is not included in that.
Sportstud4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #8
kfrede86

I was having this conversation the other day with someone. He didn't think you could target practice on private land at all. Since you're not allowed to hunt with a rifle in St. Mary's, he thought you couldn't target practice either. Is there a place to find out local laws regarding this for St. Mary's?
kfrede86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrede86 View Post
I was having this conversation the other day with someone. He didn't think you could target practice on private land at all. Since you're not allowed to hunt with a rifle in St. Mary's, he thought you couldn't target practice either. Is there a place to find out local laws regarding this for St. Mary's?
Check some of the links in this thread.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59964

You can target practice, but you have to be safety conscious (shoot into a dirt pile, woods don't count).

Also make sure you are neighborly, and talk with the neighbors before-hand. If they are in ear shot, the last thing you want is someone calling the Sheriff about a man with a gun.
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
kfrede86

Thanks for the info
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #11
kfrede86

Saint Marys County Code:

Ch. 317 of 1985, adding § 268C to Article 27 of the Annotated Code, provided that in St. Mary's County a person may not engage in target practice with or discharge a gun or weapon on certain lands without first obtaining written permission of specific individuals; provided that violation of said Act is a misdemeanor; and provided certain penalties on conviction of a violation of said Act.

http://library.municode.com/index.as...ename=Maryland

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland