Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #1
AKbythebay

Your collection could get you locked up w/o bail

Does this "crime" sound like it's worthy of being locked up and denied bail? And since when does owning 12 handguns constitue "hoarding guns"? Sounds like the guy lit off some fireworks and is now rotting in jail...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,6951757.story

Quote:
Pikesville man accused of hoarding guns, pyrotechnics

A Pikesville condo resident charged with hoarding pyrotechnics and guns after neighbors complained about loud noises and flashes in the middle of the night was ordered held without bail today by a Baltimore County District Court judge who said he is worried about the suspect "blowing up the neighborhood."

The bail for Frederick Lee Mackler, 59, had been set at $1 million, but Judge Norman R. Stone III revoked it during a hearing yesterday in the Towson courthouse. The judge noted that police reported finding 12 handguns, an Uzi submachine gun and fireworks in his apartment in the Stevenson Commons Condominiums.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence...The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour."

-- George Washington
AKbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #2
shadow116
2nd Class Citizen

Just makes me wonder what he really did, vice the media focus on the evil guns and explosives. You never hear the whole truth

A man who has nothing for which he willing to fight; nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
shadow116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #3
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

i saw the report on television...seemed pretty slanted against him to try to make him sound as bad as possible noting that he was a "convicted criminal with a prior battery charge"...or he got in a fight at a bar once. Not sure about this one, need more info...okay fireworks are illegal but how many people have some at their place possibly even now this far away from july 4th? i dont get what the big deal is here besides he just pissed his neighbors off by setting them off all the time.

"Mackler has been charged with 10 counts, including disturbing the peace, reckless endangerment, possession of fireworks without a permit, possession of marijuana and possession of firearms."

didnt know possession of firearms was a crime. maybee it's a big deal because he's a felon and isnt supposed to have emm? i dunno. it di piss me off that watching wbal news yesterday around 6 o'clock they had about 6 gun-related crime stories in a row....5 of them were from crimes from 2003, 2004...from 2000..it looks like the news is drumming up gun issues a lot lately getting ready for the elections
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
nighthawk2099

Send a message via AIM to nighthawk2099
I think the real problems was that he had drugs (enough to constitute trafficking/distribution). Drugs + Guns + Explosives = Jail Time.

Quote:
Information
Court System: DISTRICT COURT FOR BALTIMORE COUNTY - CRIMINAL SYSTEM
Case Number: 3C00281515Tracking No:020005550202
Case Type: CRIMINAL
District Code: 08Location Code:04
Document Type: STATEMENT OF CHARGESIssued Date:04/29/2008
Case Status: ACTIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defendant Information
Defendant Name: MACKLER, FREDERICK LEE
Race: WHITE, CAUCASIAN, ASIATIC INDIAN, ARAB
Sex: MHeight:509Weight:195DOB:03/03/1949

Address: 8002 BRYNMOR COURT #406
City: PIKESVILLEState:MDZip Code:21208 - 0000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charge and Disposition Information

(Each Charge is listed separately. The disposition is listed below the Charge)

Charge No: 001DescriptionISTURB PEACE - LOUD NOISE
Statute: CR.10.201.(c)(5)DescriptionISTURB PEACE - LOUD NOISE
Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 0065MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 04/28/2008 To: 04/28/2008 Victim Age:

Charge No: 002Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT
Statute: CR.3.204.(a)(1)Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 1425MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 003Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
Statute: PS.10.104.(a)(1)Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0016MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 04/24/2008 To: 04/24/2008 Victim Age:

Charge No: 004Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
Statute: PS.10.104.(a)(2)Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0021MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 005Description:CDS: POSS W/INTENT DIST: NARC
Statute: CR.5.602.(2)Description:CDS: POSS W/INTENT DIST: NARC
Amended Date: CJIS Code:3 0233MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 006Description:CDS: POSS PARAPHERNALIA
Statute: CR.5.619.(c)(1)Description:CDS: POSS PARAPHERNALIA
Amended Date: CJIS Code:5 3550MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 007DescriptionANGEROUS WEAPON-CONCEAL
Statute: CR.4.101.(c)(1)DescriptionANGEROUS WEAPON-CONCEAL
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 5202MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 008Description:FIREARM/DRUG TRAF CRIME
Statute: CR.5.621.(b)(1)Description:FIREARM/DRUG TRAF CRIME
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0493MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 009Description:CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA
Statute: CR.5.601.(a)(1)Description:CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA
Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0573MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 010Description:CDS: POSSESS-NOT MARIHUANA
Statute: CR.5.601.(a)(1)Description:CDS: POSSESS-NOT MARIHUANA
Amended Date: CJIS Code:4 3550MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Related Person Information
Also, doing a search, it looks like in 1992 he was charged with 2 counts of battery and given 1 year probation.

In Maryland, your right to self defense ends at your driveway!
nighthawk2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #5
alucard0822
For great Justice

supposedly he was firing 6" class B mortars, not some innocent little bottle rockets, there might be something the judge knows and we don't, these days the paper is expected to take a dig at guns reguardless of circumstances or facts.

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins

Last edited by alucard0822; April 30th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #6
AKbythebay

But of course in spite of the class B mortars, and in spite of the drugs, the Slumpaper decides to focus completely on the "hoarding" of 12 guns. How is 12 guns "hoarding". If that's hoarding, than we must be a bunch of terrorists. Hell, I was at 12 YEARS ago .... it called "collecting"

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence...The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour."

-- George Washington
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #7
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

sorry, it's kinda hard to conjure up much pity for him.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #8
wlc

the ass has been shooting these off his balcony in the middle of the night for months - he is going to get every possible charge thrown at him - doesn't mean they will all stick

Old April 30th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #9
R2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
supposedly he was firing 6" class B mortars, not some innocent little bottle rockets, there might be something the judge knows and we don't, these days the paper is expected to take a dig at guns reguardless of circumstances or facts.
I shoot fireworks professionally over the Independence day period, and if this guy was shooting 6" mortars around condo's he's in a lot more trouble than local - you need a federal license just to touch the stuff, much less buy it.

That being said, I doubt that's really what he had. If he was setting those off, the response would have been a lot faster than "trouble locating the source" - they travel 600' into the air. Kinda hard to hide.

R2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #10
DemoDave
Banned

The definition of hoarding is "Collecting and putting things away in an organized manner" so I don't see any big problem with it.

Plus you need a pyrotechnic license from the state of Maryland, plus there is the whole transportation and storage issue.............
DemoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #11
alucard0822
For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2.0 View Post
I shoot fireworks professionally over the Independence day period, and if this guy was shooting 6" mortars around condo's he's in a lot more trouble than local - you need a federal license just to touch the stuff, much less buy it.

That being said, I doubt that's really what he had. If he was setting those off, the response would have been a lot faster than "trouble locating the source" - they travel 600' into the air. Kinda hard to hide.
no doubt, , and not to mention the "uzi sub machine gun". Knowing how the news reports things, the guy might have been getting rowdy with a couple party poppers and an airsoft gun.

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #12
gunconnection
FFL Dealer / III%

The Sun Sucks

Yes, The Sun, is a totally F'd up newspaper that always blows things way out of proportion, but this guy is an a--hole and has made all legal gunowners in MD look bad ,because he is a reckless F'n MORON!!!

11433 Pulaski Hwy.,Unit#3
White Marsh, MD 21162
410/335-7252
www.gunconnectionmd.com
gunconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #13
SigXFive
MSI Executive Member

Has the Sunpapers made a fireworks story into a gun story? From what I saw the guy would go out every now and then early in the am and set one off to piss off his neighbors. It would wake up just about everybody. Had been doing it for a few years. So he owned a few guns. The issue is still fireworks. My dogs get more use from the Sunpapers than I do.

Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club, Inc.
Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
SigXFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #14
AKbythebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoDave View Post
The definition of hoarding is "Collecting and putting things away in an organized manner" so I don't see any big problem with it.

Plus you need a pyrotechnic license from the state of Maryland, plus there is the whole transportation and storage issue.............

"hoarding" gives the image of someone stockpiling huge cashe of weapons. I'm not defending the guy for the fireworks, but 12 guns is not a stockpile of weapons in my opinion. The story should have been about a guy firing off fireworks because he's an ass hole and wants to piss off his neighbors. Instead the Sun chose to slant the story as being about some gun nut hoarding guns and preparing to shoot up the neighborhood.

-- George Washington
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #15
AKbythebay

Quote:
hoard Definition hoard (hrd)

noun

a supply stored up and hidden or kept in reserve

Etymology: ME hord < OE, akin to Ger hort, Goth huzd < IE *keus- < base *(s)keu-, to cover, conceal > hide, Gr skylos, animal's skin
intransitive verb

to get and store away money, goods, etc.

transitive verb

to accumulate and hide or keep in reserve
Again, the implication (by the Sun) is that he was accumulating massive amounts of guns in preparation for something devious later. 12 guns wouldn't get most of us through the top shelf in the safe

-- George Washington
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Spot77

Quote:
Again, the implication (by the Sun) is that he was accumulating massive amounts of guns in preparation for something devious later. 12 guns wouldn't get most of us through the top shelf in the safe
Good Lord, don't let them ever see Jeep's picture of his ammo stock....
Spot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #17
jpk1md

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Good Lord, don't let them ever see Jeep's picture of his ammo stock....
I heard Jeep only has one can of 223 and a single AR......but he has mad photoshop skills......

Its too bad I lost all MY guns and ammo in the car accident when the truck slid off the bay bridge last year....barely escaped THAT time.....

If nobody wants a 'civil disturbance,' why in heck don't they quit disturbing us?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jpk1md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #18
lax

fox 45 said he was using a flare gun.....so who knows what was really going on
lax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM   #19
mudskipper
Banned

Location: VA resident who still owns a home in MD, and will visit it as often as he wants!
12 guns, huh? And that's hoarding? Crap, I'm in trouble then. I'd prolly get a life sentence. Or maybe O'Malley would make a one-time-only death penalty allowance for me! I think I already owned 12 when I was 18.... 18 years ago!

But on the serious side, if the guy was repeatedly popping 6" mortars into the sky in the middle of the night, and I was one of his neighbors, that would piss me off.

Once or maybe twice (on a weekend night!) might be entertaining, but more than that and I start to call into question someones' judgement. I'd be considerate enough of my neighbors not to do that, and so should everyone else.

This guy clearly didn't, so therefore, something is "up" with him.

And I don't think we're talking a few bottlerockets off the deck, either. These things had to be pretty damn impressive to have this many people upset.
mudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM   #20
Jimet

A blond was opening an account at the bank with a substantial amount of cash.

Banker - "Did you hoard all this by yourself?

Blond - "No,my sister hoard for half of it"

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues