Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Dealers > Shooter's Discount

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #1
MikeSP

VZ58 or VZ2008?

I saw some of these at the Timonium show and read about them on the Silvarado gun show thread. Are they VZ58's or VZ2008's?

I have searched and read some information online and if I understand it correctly the VZ2008's are a Century Arms rifle and the VZ58's are Czech military and cost almost double the VZ2008.

Are the ends of the barrels threaded with a spot welded muzzle attachment?

Just looking for clarification and some more info on these neat rifles.
MikeSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
rob-cubed
In need of moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP View Post
I saw some of these at the Timonium show and read about them on the Silvarado gun show thread. Are they VZ58's or VZ2008's?

I have searched and read some information online and if I understand it correctly the VZ2008's are a Century Arms rifle and the VZ58's are Czech military and cost almost double the VZ2008.

Are the ends of the barrels threaded with a spot welded muzzle attachment?

Just looking for clarification and some more info on these neat rifles.
If you do a search you'll find several threads comparing the two. In a nutshell:
- VZ2008 is a Century build using surplus parts on a US, non-chromed barrel and a US receiver. The muzzle is threaded, but it's for an AK slant brake so you can't put the original Czech brake on it.
- The VZ58 is imported as a single-stack "sporter" and then converted to accept milsurp mags. It has otherwise about as close as you can get to a mil-spec Czech.

Whether the non-chromed US barrel bothers you or not, is up to you. My Century VZ has performed fine although it did come with canted sights. Most have been happy with theirs.

BUT, a "real" VZ is on my list. If you can afford one, get it instead. Chances are good if you like AKs you'll love this rifle.
rob-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Pay the extra and get the real thing. You get more than what you pay for.

If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #4
MikeSP

Thanks for the info. Sounds like from the price the rifles shooters discount had were the vz2008. Either that or they were vz58's at one heck of a deal.
Hopefully Lou or someone will chime in on what they had and if they have any left!

Prayers for William the Warrior
MDS Shirts - William the Warrior Charity GB
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Buy one from Czechpoint USA. They are the main distributor for the US and their customer service is second to none. The price quoted on their website is the price you pay. There are no additional shipping or dealer costs. I'd lay money on it that Lou had century built rifles.

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #6
aquaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
Buy one from Czechpoint USA. They are the main distributor for the US and their customer service is second to none. The price quoted on their website is the price you pay. There are no additional shipping or dealer costs. I'd lay money on it that Lou had century built rifles.
$900 Definately a niche rifle.
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Quality isn't cheap. Regret is.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #8
aquaman

OP
I would go with the century build. That will get you one to play with, generally they seem to have good reviews and its not the price of a quality AR.
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Jarhead FLSTI

I LOVE my VZ58. At 900 bucks it's not a cheap gun but definitely fun to shoot. It feels more "solid" than my AK and is really light weight and small compared to an SKS. I bought mine in VA so I got to go home with the 30 round mags.
Jarhead FLSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #10
bbrown

I got my Century VZ2008 side folder from Lou several months ago, and it's always worked like a charm. YMMV.

Bryan

Elwood P. Dowd
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Something else to consider. Are you going to want or need to sell it at some point? I remember when I was buying Chicom AK's in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember folks telling me that I was wasting my money when I could just buy an SKS for 79 bucks instead of an AK for $325. "It's basicly the same thing" they said. Fast forward 20 years. Now which one was the more intelligent purchase decision? What's the SKS to Chicom AK price gap going to be in another 10 years? Perhaps a better example is this. What's an original HK 91 worth compared to a century clone? Which would most buyers prefer? TRUE milspec firearms are always going to be a much better purchase, both in Quality and long term value, compared to a copy. VZ58's, just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER imported military firearm, are not going to be around forever. When they dry up (and they will) prices are going to climb dramatically. Which do you think is going to be in demand and bringing serious cash in the future, the real thing or a knock off? It amazes me that the same scenario plays itself out time and time again in this hobby but some folks never seem to learn. They always go the cheap route and end up regretting it later. It's the classic "I should of when I had the chance" game. Then the next thing comes along and they do it all over again!! Spend a little more now. You get what you pay for, both in the short term and the long. That's the last I have to say on this topic. I'll shut up now.

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
MikeSP

Quote:
Something else to consider. Are you going to want or need to sell it at some point? I remember when I was buying Chicom AK's in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember folks telling me that I was wasting my money when I could just buy an SKS for 79 bucks instead of an AK for $325. "It's basicly the same thing" they said. Fast forward 20 years. Now which one was the more intelligent purchase decision? What's the SKS to Chicom AK price gap going to be in another 10 years?.
I agree with this thinking. I suppose I was hoping these were a deal on a vz58 not a century build. I'm the end I am looking for a well built quality rifle with decent capacity magazines and semi-auto.
I first thought the wasr10 would be what I wanted until started reading about all the different ak versions.
When you mention chicom ak's. Are they all generally good? The mak 90's the norinco's the type 56's. They all seem to go for considerably more than the wasr10's. Im looking for the most bang for the buck milsurp rifle.

Prayers for William the Warrior
MDS Shirts - William the Warrior Charity GB
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

You'd be hard pressed to find better than a Norinco/Polytech. I have never encountered a preban Chicom that wasn't top notch Quality (at least as much as you can expect from an AK) Some of the postban stuff seemed a little spotty to me. I think that the preban stuff was pulled right off the military assembly line but the postban stuff had its own commercial lines set up and suffered as a result. My first rifle was a 56S-1 bought new in 1988 ($313.95 out the door) and I still have it. 10K+ rounds down the pipe and not a malfunction yet. I haven't shot my 56S-2 much but I have every confidence that it's just as well made. Every preban I've ever used has exhibited flawless function. The problem is their cost nowadays. As much as I love my Chinese rifles, the VZ58 is my absolute favorite. If Red Dawn happened tomorrow, the VZ is what I would reach for. Here are a few of my Norincos:

It's hard to go wrong with Chinese stuff!

But Czech stuff is pure gold IMO:

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #14
aquaman

the vz58 is new correct?
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Lou45

Pissing off the libtards

Well, it's not very often in a debate that BOTH sides are winners, but I think this one (this thread thus far) happens to be one of them. I partially agree with combloc in his thinking as far as an investment piece, the VZ58 would be the way to go, provided it is put away and not used. The Century VZ2008 being aquired at less than half the price of a VZ58, one can buy two and shoot the crap out of one and put away the other.

The Chinese SKS's and AK's if bought in new condition back in the day at the prices Combloc mentioned and put away and kept in that (new) condition will bring generally four times (possibly five times if one finds a hot buyer that just has to have it) the original purchase price from back then. Both type of the guns appreciated approximately the same percentage over the course of time. However, there is one downside to this; the AK now selling at let's say $1500.00 and the SKS selling at $400.00 (both new condition), the SKS selling at $400.00 has alot more marketability than the AK due to the fact alot more people can afford to spend $400.00 for the SKS as opposed to just a few that could afford the $1500.00 for the AK, especially in a repressed economy.

The $399.95 VZ's we have are the Century 2008's. For those that want a VZ type as a shooter and/or collectable at a very reasonable price, this would be the way to go. If one wants ONLY the best available VZ to be had on the U.S. market, pony up for the $900.00+ to aquire such. Either way, both are good shooters.

"Lou = 1911 .45 snob....Then once you understand that Lou shoots my pistols better than me, you'll understand why he's such a pisser." As per Splitter(RIP).

"Lou is like a living, breathing, walking, talking, BIG F-U to Brian Frosh, his puppeteer in government house, and all their cronies." As per ma_deuce.
Lou45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Combloc
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
the vz58 is new correct?
Built from a combination of new and NOS parts. I'm not saying that the century guns are junk. They're just not the Quality of the Czech rifles.

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #17
Wayne1one
gun aficionado

Quote:
Pay the extra and get the real thing. You get more than what you pay for.
THIS!!!!
Wayne1one is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Dealers > Shooter's Discount