Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Old July 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
medic762

What are the best/most common calibers for reloading?

Pistol Rounds?
Revolver Rounds?
Rifle Rounds?
medic762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #2
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

Best Pistol Rounds? 10mm
Common Pistol Rounds? 9mm
Best Revolver Rounds? .45 Colt
Common Revolver Rounds? .38 Special
Best Rifle Rounds? 7mm-08
Common Rifle Rounds? .223

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #3
medic762

I know what rounds are "common", but in terms of reloading efficiency and availability of dies,etc... Which are easiest to find? I don't know much about reloading yet, but if I were to start what would be easiest/most efficient calibers to reload from a reloading standpoint?
medic762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #4
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

OIC. .38 Specials/.357 Magnums, 9mms, 45 ACP/Colt, .40 S&W/10mm, I could go on. The problem with the common calibers listed (except the .40/10) are components can be hard to find when there's a rush on the market. During the great Panic of 08, finding primers and bullets for the common calibers was borderline impossible. If you're just getting into reloading, start with straight wall pistol calibers. Lots of info/recipes out there. Then work on bottle neck cartridges.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

#1 Dies sales from RCBS is the 30-06 Spgfld. It is there top seller - so that should tell you the popularity of the cartridge. 223 is very popular - and to be honest Im surprised its not RCBS's top die sales.

I think 45 ACP is there top selling pistol die set.

40 S&W requires very important attention when reloading. Many load manuals state to make sure the cartridge is fully supported in the firearm to avoid case bulging and possible rupture. There seems to be an issue with some manufacturers of 40 S&W pistols not fully supporting the case. If you have one, and want to reload it - they suggest contacting the manufacturer - to see if that is the case - or have a compitent gunsmith check to see that it does.

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Ron
Banned

There are very few cartridges you can buy ammo for at the average gun shop or big box store that you will have difficulty finding dies for. Now the cost of some dies is insane such as the .408 Cheytac with run about $300 a set.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Creek Rock View Post
#1 Dies sales from RCBS is the 30-06 Spgfld. It is there top seller - so that should tell you the popularity of the cartridge. 223 is very popular - and to be honest Im surprised its not RCBS's top die sales.
Been around 105 years and I'll bet the farm it will be around for another 100. If it ain't broke, don't fuch with it. The 06 will do anything you like in N. America with bullets from 90 to 220 grains. Yes, with heavier bullets it does better than the 308.

In 1272, the Arabic Islamic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
BlackBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #8
obiii

Depends on what rifle/pistols you have on hand or are interested in purchasing. For a definitive answer, search around on the web to see what primers, brass, bullets, powder, and/or molds for casting your own bullet (As well as equipment (Press, dies, etc..) for reloading). Some brass is very dear right now, but might not be in 6 months or so.

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Mark392001

Most common for rifles should be .308/ 7.62x51NATO.

Maryland Designated Collector
FFL 03 (C&R)
AGC Member

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
Abraham Lincoln
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
Been around 105 years and I'll bet the farm it will be around for another 100. If it ain't broke, don't fuch with it. The 06 will do anything you like in N. America with bullets from 90 to 220 grains. Yes, with heavier bullets it does better than the 308.
I agree with you 100%. I love the 30-06, and is one of my favorites to reload & shoot. I dont think there is as vesatile rifle round as the 06!

Old July 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #11
bean93x
.45 or go home

Send a message via AIM to bean93x
Quote:
40 S&W requires very important attention when reloading. Many load manuals state to make sure the cartridge is fully supported in the firearm to avoid case bulging and possible rupture. There seems to be an issue with some manufacturers of 40 S&W pistols not fully supporting the case. If you have one, and want to reload it - they suggest contacting the manufacturer - to see if that is the case - or have a compitent gunsmith check to see that it does.
lee bulge buster fixes that problem.

Old July 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #12
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. I love the 30-06, and is one of my favorites to reload & shoot. I dont think there is as vesatile rifle round as the 06!
You said yourself it's the #1 rifle die sold, numbers don't lie. Will others do a certain job better? Sure, BUT will they do ALL the jobs as good...........probably not. Will a Weatherby out preform it, sure but that's not the most practical round to be buying at 2 bucks a shot either. Ballistic fact, it does better with heavier bullets than a 308. If it weren't for needing shorter actions in full auto's the 308 probably would never have been contrived.

In 1272, the Arabic Islamic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
BlackBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #13
tdt91
I will miss you my friend

you need only worry about what to load when you have something to load ofr. Then load for that, as you obtain more weapons of different calibers you can load for them if you want.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

CAN"T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG !!!!!!!!!
tdt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean93x View Post
lee bulge buster fixes that problem.
Lee bulge buster will straigten out the bulge IF the case dosnt rupture or case head seperate , which is the issue that the reloading manuals are warning against. There claim is that the listed data is below the pressure max - but it can still be an issue in some guns.

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #15
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

As others have said, you can obtain dies for just about anything made and even not made if you buy on line. The scarcity factor comes into play in the components particularly the brass if you want to reload something odd ball or even slightly hard to find. Many brass choices are only made once a year in prelude for hunting season such as .30-40 Krag. Other than that, if you are reloading something with the Berdan priming system. A great many bullet diameters are shared by multiple calibers so that is the least of your worries.

By dies for something "not made", I mean that you can have dies made to your specification.

I wouldn't base my choice of firearm on the ability to reload it unless I was only going to have one rifle, one handgun, etc. and then I'd stick with the most commercially available.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #16
bulletmen
Alpha Bravo Mfg

reloadin'

38 Special easy to load for . Bullets,dies,brass readily availible. Load it mild with wadcutters,load it a bit stouter with SWC or jacketed hollowpoints.Inherently accurate.
45 ACP/Auto Rim also popular,easy to load.
45 Colt one of our favorites,easy to load for,wide range of bullets.Loves lead bullets !
Cannot go wrong with a 30'06 ,lots of data,brass still around,watch your case length and you are ok.
9mm popular,but can give indifferent results unless you are careful.
Always liked the 22 Hornet. Very easy to load and get good results.Cases sometimes short life with "hot"loads. Started loading it with a LEE old style handloader and dippers for powder. Dime size groups at 100yards with little effort.Looking for another Hornet someday.....................

www.bulletmen.com
bulletmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Rockzilla

Semi Pistol .45 ACP / 9mm <- common
Revolver none other .44 Mag or common .38 SPL / .357 Mag.
Rifle Common .5.56 / 7.62 then again .338 LM beats $5.00 a pop

-Rock

Old July 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Biggfoot44

Dies for anything ever made are a click away. Notwithstanding supply and demand temporary shortages boxer brass for anything vaguely popular is available.

It's easier to mention the problematic ones. Unless you are specifically into historical accuraccy the .44-40 and .38-40 will have colasped neck and caselike issues compares to strieght walled cases.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading