Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II

Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

.300 AAC Blackout Range Session

Note: This was a short function zero session. BenL has a much more scholarly work in rifle forum for accuracy.

Friday 5/20 @ AAFG

Zeroed for 50 yards

The Rifle:

VLTOR VIS mid
Noveske 10" SS barrel
VLTOR VC-1 FH (will change to AAC 51T)
Magpul BUIS
PRI Gas buster (intended to mostly shoot suppressed when SDN-6 gets here)
Noveske sbr lower
geisselle SSA trigger
norgon ambi catch
tango down BG-16 FDE
Magpul mil spec CTR FDE
VLTOR buffer tube
H2 buffer
KNS pins
Aimpoint T-1 riding larue mount
magpul pmags in 20

The objective:

See if the damn thing worked and zero with T-1 for 50 yards

Ammo:

220gr remmy subsonic factory
120ish grain .300 whisper loaded by Mike at Midcounty to test supersonic function.

I zeroed it at 50 yards with the "mike load" first. Recoil was pleasant more of a push but still quite AR like. No sled or vise just from the bench i managed a 3 shot group that was like a 1" equilateral triangle. Not bad as I wasn't concentrating a lot. I was glad to confirm that the .300 whisper works in the AAC.

I then printed the unsupressed subsonic stuff. Same size groups but 1.5 - 2 inches low at 50 yards.

Overall i'm happy. The gun will likely run with the SDN-6 in place most of the time. If remmy would get off their dead asses and get some supersonic ammo out there I'd be a lot happier. Rsilvers is telling everyone "it's coming" but I feel like a jew waiting for Christ.

George Orwell (1903 - 1950)

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H. L. Mencken (1880 1956)
canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
rsilvers

Supersonic ammo is coming.
rsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #3
jason.krywicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Overall i'm happy. The gun will likely run with the SDN-6 in place most of the time. If remmy would get off their dead asses and get some supersonic ammo out there I'd be a lot happier. Rsilvers is telling everyone "it's coming" but I feel like a jew waiting for Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
Supersonic ammo is coming.
That's really funny...
jason.krywicki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Russ D

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.krywicki View Post
That's really funny...

- Reagan
Russ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #5
midcountygunshop

Builder of evil firearms

Canuck, at least ya know where to get usable ammo in a pinch

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...#ixzz1eGRytVvS
Benjamin Franklin
quote from 'Lord of War's, "...that's one gun for every twelve people in the world. So, my question is, how do we arm the other eleven?"
midcountygunshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #6
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcountygunshop View Post
Canuck, at least ya know where to get usable ammo in a pinch
Yes. As stated above - Christ may arrive before the supersonic stuff. Rsilvers is an ammo tease.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Old May 29th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7
rsilvers

This is coming soon:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=195410

This has been out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=777658

Oh, you mean low-cost ammo. That is coming. The tooling has been ordered. It just takes time for it to be made.
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #8
rsilvers

Here is another subsonic alternative:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/...200-Count-1745
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #9
midcountygunshop

Builder of evil firearms

Got to the range Monday. Canuck, I started a thread and you can see there what the rifle you fired did. It was more of a fun day, so I didn't set at the bench trying to get supper groups. It is an impressive rifle I think.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...#ixzz1eGRytVvS
Benjamin Franklin
quote from 'Lord of War's, "...that's one gun for every twelve people in the world. So, my question is, how do we arm the other eleven?"
midcountygunshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:30 PM   #10
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

Quote:
This is coming soon:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=195410

This has been out:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=777658

Oh, you mean low-cost ammo. That is coming. The tooling has been ordered. It just takes time for it to be made.

when is remmy releasing the supersonic stuff?

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM   #11
rsilvers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhSc...layer_embedded

HD1080 video.
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #12
EngageSmith

Quote:
Look at that guy's ear-to-ear grin. I've been on this bandwagon ever since I learned about .300 Whisper in gunsmith school. Glad to see it's actually gaining legitimacy.

Nice build, canuck. How's that PRI gas buster working out for you? I hear about 50/50 "it's nice" vs. "it's a waste of money". From what I understand KAC makes something very similar to the PRI, and have not heard complaints about that.

"God created men, Col. Colt made them equal..."
EngageSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #13
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageSmith View Post
Look at that guy's ear-to-ear grin. I've been on this bandwagon ever since I learned about .300 Whisper in gunsmith school. Glad to see it's actually gaining legitimacy.

Nice build, canuck. How's that PRI gas buster working out for you? I hear about 50/50 "it's nice" vs. "it's a waste of money". From what I understand KAC makes something very similar to the PRI, and have not heard complaints about that.
I won't have a real feeling about the PRI until I get a can on there. Until then its opinion only. Will keep everyone posted.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM   #14
BenL
John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageSmith View Post

Is KAC's exactly the same? I'm a lefty, so the gasbuster won't work for me (actually, it would do the exact opposite: direct gas right into my face.)

..........................................-Hanlon's Razor

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Russ D

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ D

- Reagan
Russ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #16
Kingjamez
Gun Builder

Can 300 whisper be used in a 300 Blackout chamber?

-Jim

http://www.youtube.com/user/kingjamez80?feature=mhum
Kingjamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #17
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
Can 300 whisper be used in a 300 Blackout chamber?

-Jim
yes. i shot some in my noveske barreled .300 AAC blackout.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Jimbob2.0

I am confused I thought 300 whisper was a different cartridge. Is there any value to these things without a can. That cmmg upper at aim is nice for the money.
Jimbob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #19
canuck
HK, AR, & Glock Guru
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob2.0 View Post
I am confused I thought 300 whisper was a different cartridge. Is there any value to these things without a can. That cmmg upper at aim is nice for the money.
It is a different cartridge "sort of". MIke from midcounty or rsilvers can explain the subtleties. I shot some .300W that mike had made through my noveske .300AAC. No issues.

Without a can - : Ok so the thing is you have .30 cal projectile with essentially AK type ballistic performance without having the supply chain nightmare like you have with the 6.8SPC and the 6.5G. To convert a weapon to .300AAC or .300W for that matter all you need is a barrel. The bolt head and mags are homogenous since the.300s are "necked up" .223s. So you have standard 30 round pmags and such that will actually hold 30 rounds. When LMT comes out with a .300 barrel for their MRP this will be sweet because you can swap those barrels in under 2 minutes. Then you truly will have a "system".

Think of the .300 as a 0-250 yard or so bell ringer. It's almost twice the weight of the heaviest 5.56. Much beyond that distance it seems to drop like a rock. AAC has a propaganda sight http://300aacblackout.com/

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #20
Jimbob2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
It is a different cartridge "sort of". MIke from midcounty or rsilvers can explain the subtleties. I shot some .300W that mike had made through my noveske .300AAC. No issues.

Without a can - : Ok so the thing is you have .30 cal projectile with essentially AK type ballistic performance without having the supply chain nightmare like you have with the 6.8SPC and the 6.5G. To convert a weapon to .300AAC or .300W for that matter all you need is a barrel. The bolt head and mags are homogenous since the.300s are "necked up" .223s. So you have standard 30 round pmags and such that will actually hold 30 rounds. When LMT comes out with a .300 barrel for their MRP this will be sweet because you can swap those barrels in under 2 minutes. Then you truly will have a "system".

Think of the .300 as a 0-250 yard or so bell ringer. It's almost twice the weight of the heaviest 5.56. Much beyond that distance it seems to drop like a rock. AAC has a propaganda sight http://300aacblackout.com/
Interesting, I reload so that isnt as big od a deal. Is the bullet .308 or .310? Though I am going to try some low velocity 7.62*39 loads soon in my bolt gun.
Jimbob2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > NFA/Class 3/Title II