Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #1
mitchugh

Homemade Corrosive Cleaner?

Lately I've been hearing advice on the best way to clean a gun after shooting corrosive ammo and I'm starting to think that the way I've been doing it hasn't been the best. I was wondering if anyone might have any homemade cleaner ideas or recipes for a mix. I've heard people use just water, hot water, Windex or for the real mountain men, their own piss, but I'm thinking of something water based with solvents, oils or chemicals added. Maybe something that would resemble Ballistol or something similar. I just thought there might be a few nutty ideas out there.
mitchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #2
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchugh View Post
Lately I've been hearing advice on the best way to clean a gun after shooting corrosive ammo and I'm starting to think that the way I've been doing it hasn't been the best. I was wondering if anyone might have any homemade cleaner ideas or recipes for a mix. I've heard people use just water, hot water, Windex or for the real mountain men, their own piss, but I'm thinking of something water based with solvents, oils or chemicals added. Maybe something that would resemble Ballistol or something similar. I just thought there might be a few nutty ideas out there.
from a thread about this...post #48 is good
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread...t=simple+green
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Garand1957
Banned

WWII USGI Bore Cleaner.
100% rust free bores .
Been using it for many years and I shoot mainly corrosive surplus ammo.
Available at gun shows, for sale on auction sites and colector forums WTS like gunboards.com
Garand1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #4
squaregrouper
Kragaphile

After shooting corrosive ammo I:
1- Run hot water down the barrel
2- Run a few patches of of a 50/50 mix of household ammonia and water down the barrel ($2 in ammonia will last for years)
3- Run a wet (water only) patch down the barrel
4- Clean the barrel as I do with non-corrosive ammo
5- Run a patch of Gunzilla down the barrel. I swear by Gunzilla, although many still think it is snake oil (the barrel will literally be squeaky clean)

Last edited by squaregrouper; May 5th, 2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
squaregrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Jerry M

Swab with Windex than clean as you would normally. Or do it the old fashion with hot soapy water.

Good luck

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #6
cwalker3

First I run a couple of patches soaked in an ammonia based cleaner, like Windex, while I'm still at the range. Once I get home, I completely break down the gun. I wipe down all parts with the cleaner and thoroughly clean the barrel with it. Once the barrel is clean, I run a few patches soaked in CLP down it and wipe down all other parts with it as well. The trick is to not let the gun sit long before cleaning it. Rust can happen overnight.

Old May 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #7
mitchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
from a thread about this...post #48 is good
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread...t=simple+green
I like the sound of simple green, I think I'll have to try that. From what I gather you can't really go wrong as long as it's water based and you clean it right after shooting
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Boondock Saint
Returnedish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchugh View Post
I like the sound of simple green, I think I'll have to try that. From what I gather you can't really go wrong as long as it's water based and you clean it right after shooting
Pretty much. All you're looking to do is flush out the salts that the corrosive ammo leaves behind in the bore. Ordinary water works just fine. I had to stop at a convenience store on the way home for a bottle of water to flush out my 91/30 because I forgot to bring the small spray bottle I normally keep in my range bag. After I'm done shooting the corrosive stuff, I spray liberally down the bore from the breech until it's running out of the muzzle. After, I spray a bit of CLP until that too is running out of the bore. Let it drip for a few seconds and toss it in the case. Once home, clean as normal.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #9
mitchugh

good advice, thanks for the replys
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #10
mawkie

Don't forget to clean the bolt face as well (don't ask how I learned this lesson!).
mawkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #11
adodson

Send a message via AIM to adodson
Soap + Water = WINNING!

www.peacekeepersupport.org
adodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #12
jawn
YOU TROLLIN!

Ballistol/Water in a 1:9 mixture. Spray it everywhere, generously. Wash as you normally do afterwards.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawkie View Post
Don't forget to clean the bolt face as well (don't ask how I learned this lesson!).
If you ever have a pierced primer you will want to take the bolt apart and clean everything.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #14
4g64loser
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
Garand1957 is absolutely correct. that WWII vintage bore cleaner is THE way to roll. We clean the Lewis guns and the MG34 (and the 42 when shot with corrosive 308) with that stuff and it works.
4g64loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #15
mitchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g64loser View Post
Garand1957 is absolutely correct. that WWII vintage bore cleaner is THE way to roll. We clean the Lewis guns and the MG34 (and the 42 when shot with corrosive 308) with that stuff and it works.
Is it actually vintage cleaner, as in old and from WWII? Do you know what's in it?
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #16
erwos
Jew with a Gun

I just dump Target's in-house windex clone into the bore. Run a snake through a few times to dry it out, and then clean as normal.
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #17
BFMIN

Thermally enhanced DiHydrogenMonoxide.

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #18
mitchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFMIN View Post
Thermally enhanced DiHydrogenMonoxide.
Sweet, I'll just whip a batch of that up tonight.
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #19
4g64loser
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
mitchugh--

It is actually vintage stuff---real WWII bore cleaner. I have no idea what is in it, and probably don't want to know. My boss got a bunch of it someplace and we use it. I can tell you that it eats plastic if left on too long and that it is very unfriendly to many other materials (like your clothes). Its a white paste. If you can find it, use it.

On the belt feds (especially the Maxim) that get run with all corrosive ammo, we usually hose them with WD40 or PB Blaster prior to casing for transport (especially when it will be a day or two til we are back, like Knob Creek) and so far (knock wood) we have been ok.
4g64loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #20
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g64loser View Post
mitchugh--

It is actually vintage stuff---real WWII bore cleaner. I have no idea what is in it, and probably don't want to know. My boss got a bunch of it someplace and we use it. I can tell you that it eats plastic if left on too long and that it is very unfriendly to many other materials (like your clothes). Its a white paste. If you can find it, use it.

On the belt feds (especially the Maxim) that get run with all corrosive ammo, we usually hose them with WD40 or PB Blaster prior to casing for transport (especially when it will be a day or two til we are back, like Knob Creek) and so far (knock wood) we have been ok.
It's vintage WWII surplus and often the cans will have some light rust.
It was designed to clean rifle bores after shooting corrosive primed ammo like we had back in WWII and is a water based solvent.
There is a guy on Gunboards who is selling it and some people on e-bay were also.
1 can will last a long time. I just run a patch soaked with it on a jag then a dry patch. Repeat three times and then clean as normal.
Never had a bore rust ever.
Here is a life time supply http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...I+Bore+Cleaner
If you look I'm sure you can find someone selling individual cans.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)