Very interesting read.Thanks.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8

vous ne voyez jamais un chat mort dans un arbre

Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Splitter
R.I.P.

Eh.

It's not news to me that Lee had slaves and it's not news to me that he went, ostensibly, against the wishes of the estate from which he inherited them. There is a reason he sought to extend their servitude...

As I understand these articles, they come from a very liberal source: NY Times Blog. The letter also came from his daughter after the war and I wonder how much Lee took her into his confidence.

It is also not news to me that Lee struggled with the decision nor that he made it himself and alone.

A lot of the commenters should also look at Lee's other papers and what he did to heal the nation after the war.

It seems that almost 150 years after the war, people are trying to tear down the "heroes" of the war on both sides.

Face it....the country was conflicted and the men INVOLVED were conflicted. That tends to happen when monumental decisions are being made that will lead to the destruction or survival, BY FORCE, of a nation.

Splitter
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Mark392001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Eh.

It's not news to me that Lee had slaves and it's not news to me that he went, ostensibly, against the wishes of the estate from which he inherited them. There is a reason he sought to extend their servitude...

As I understand these articles, they come from a very liberal source: NY Times Blog. The letter also came from his daughter after the war and I wonder how much Lee took her into his confidence.

It is also not news to me that Lee struggled with the decision nor that he made it himself and alone.

A lot of the commenters should also look at Lee's other papers and what he did to heal the nation after the war.

It seems that almost 150 years after the war, people are trying to tear down the "heroes" of the war on both sides.

Face it....the country was conflicted and the men INVOLVED were conflicted. That tends to happen when monumental decisions are being made that will lead to the destruction or survival, BY FORCE, of a nation.

Splitter
+1. Sad today still that the history of the war is distorted into simply being about slavery. Kids in school are not being taught the broader principles of state's rights over the Federal Government or the events that disillusioned the southern people. Lee's decision to leave the US Army was more so due to his staunch beliefs in limited government, when they tried to use him in a key position against that belief he was forced to choose courage of convictions over his career.

Maryland Designated Collector
FFL 03 (C&R)
AGC Member

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
Abraham Lincoln
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Splitter
R.I.P.

For the record, when I said the commenters should read his other papers, I meant the commenters on the NY Times blog. Just wanted to make that clear.

Davis did not want secession.
Lincoln was not for equality for slaves.
Lee had slaves.
Grant was a drunk.
Sherman was a racist.
Forrest killed a Confederate soldier

These were complicated times and taking snippets from history does not do it justice.

Splitter
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:34 AM   #6
The3clipser
Mister Tea

Quote:
For the record, when I said the commenters should read his other papers, I meant the commenters on the NY Times blog. Just wanted to make that clear.

Davis did not want secession.
Lincoln was not for equality for slaves.
Lee had slaves.
Grant was a drunk.
Sherman was a racist.
Forrest killed a Confederate soldier

These were complicated times and taking snippets from history does not do it justice.

Splitter
And my personal favorite,
Sickles killed Francis Scott Key's son in the middle of the street and got off via claiming insanity.

A government which does not trust its citizens to be armed is a government which does not trust its citizens. The question is, if a government does not trust its citizens, why should those citizens trust the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
Synthetic shotguns are like silicone boobs. Yeah, they look kinda the same, but just don't feel right.
The3clipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM   #7
KMK1862

Quote:
A big plus 1! Also, I'm not a big fan of General Grant's generalship, but he handled the surrender at Appomatox in a very honorable way.

As to Lee owning slaves, I was under the impression that they more of an "inheritance" from his father in law and he kept them in order to return his father in law's estate to profitablity. His father in law, owned several estates/plantations. The problem was, Lee was a soldier, not a planter/farmer/businessman.

All of these people were real life human beings just like us, and they had strengths and weaknesses just like us. One of the great horrors, IMO, of history is to judge historical figures by current cultural values. These people should always be judged by the moralities and laws of their time and place.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

"People who are not themselves are nobody." - Gen. George S. Patton

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Member of:
The human race
KMK1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Splitter
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK1862 View Post
A big plus 1! Also, I'm not a big fan of General Grant's generalship, but he handled the surrender at Appomatox in a very honorable way.

As to Lee owning slaves, I was under the impression that they more of an "inheritance" from his father in law and he kept them in order to return his father in law's estate to profitablity. His father in law, owned several estates/plantations. The problem was, Lee was a soldier, not a planter/farmer/businessman.

All of these people were real life human beings just like us, and they had strengths and weaknesses just like us. One of the great horrors, IMO, of history is to judge historical figures by current cultural values. These people should always be judged by the moralities and laws of their time and place.
Without looking it up, I think the slaves were to be set free within 5 years of him inheriting them. When the time came, he did need the labor and he feared they would be destitute as free men at the time.

So he fought a legal battle to extend their slavery.

Splitter

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Black Powder