Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
WildWiz
Junior Member
 
WildWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Perry Hall
Posts: 28
Taurus 1911 accurized

I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?
WildWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,351
I have done several. They are pretty solid guns coming from Taurus and lend to good bases for custom work. Im not doing Smithing anymore but my former employer is a Master and taught me everything I know (Scotts Gunsmithing). He isnt taking in work at the moment due to an excessive backlog but he will start again in a few more months. You could also send it off but many 1911 smiths are snobs and wont work on RIA, Taurus, 1911's. Just be careful you have a really reputable smith do the work if you go to a professional.

A Kart Barrel or Scheumann Barrel and Good Bushing will really tighten things up.

Before a Barrel I would be sure you shoot the sights good, and then make sure it has a well fit Trigger and the FCG is clean and crisp (C$S Kit is my favorite)

I would also highly recomend the gun we well worn in and I also recomend you replace the slide stop with a better made one. EGW makes an outstanding one. A tight barel that locks up tight can be hard on a slide stop and the better made ones are good insurance. If a Slide Stop breaks it can ruin your barrel feet.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
honda53s
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore County
Posts: 3,849
Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda53s View Post
Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )
Im still there but Im not taking in any more work, if I do ill never get to leave.

I currently have 30 1911's that im working on at the moment. When I close my eyes I see 1911's. Im going insane. LOL


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM   #5
honda53s
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baltimore County
Posts: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Im still there but Im not taking in any more work, if I do ill never get to leave.

I currently have 30 1911's that im working on at the moment. When I close my eyes I see 1911's. Im going insane. LOL
I wish I could see 1911's when I sleep. Lol. Sorry OP
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6
zombiehunter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,966
I really want a pair of sequential 1911s...I need a job


__________________
Need a wedding photographer? Check us out!

Want Silver? I have some for sale, like these (not my store/ad) One ounce bars, pre-scored into 1/4 ounce pieces. Discounted from Ebay prices premiums depending on quantity (80 ounces available).
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #7
clandestine
MSP Informant
 
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
I really want a pair of sequential 1911s...I need a job
Face off 1911's?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
ITG
Member
 
ITG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AA County
Posts: 243
"How do you know I drive a Packard?"
ITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
mikec
Senior Member
 
mikec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off I-83
Posts: 11,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWiz View Post
I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?
Contact this gent, http://www.derrprecision.com/index.html

He can assist and will tell you if the Taurus can be used as a base gun.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #10
zombiehunter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Face off 1911's?
But not gold plated :-D


__________________
Need a wedding photographer? Check us out!

Want Silver? I have some for sale, like these (not my store/ad) One ounce bars, pre-scored into 1/4 ounce pieces. Discounted from Ebay prices premiums depending on quantity (80 ounces available).
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Old Gaffer
Member
 
Old Gaffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWiz View Post
I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?
I did it, and I'm shooting as well as guys in my class shooting Les Baer's. That may change IF and when I make Master, but I'd do it again in a minute. People sometimes tick up their noses at my Taurus (polishing a turd is my favorite comment so far) but when I put three in the X-ring at 50 yards and shoot low to mid 90's, the laughing stops.



national match bushing, tighten the slide, a little, v-e-r-y little trigger work, a rail for the ultradot and change out the recoil spring and you're pretty much done

All the best,
Rob
Old Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC