Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
WildWiz

Taurus 1911 accurized

I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?
WildWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
clandestine
MSP Informant

I have done several. They are pretty solid guns coming from Taurus and lend to good bases for custom work. Im not doing Smithing anymore but my former employer is a Master and taught me everything I know (Scotts Gunsmithing). He isnt taking in work at the moment due to an excessive backlog but he will start again in a few more months. You could also send it off but many 1911 smiths are snobs and wont work on RIA, Taurus, 1911's. Just be careful you have a really reputable smith do the work if you go to a professional.

A Kart Barrel or Scheumann Barrel and Good Bushing will really tighten things up.

Before a Barrel I would be sure you shoot the sights good, and then make sure it has a well fit Trigger and the FCG is clean and crisp (C$S Kit is my favorite)

I would also highly recomend the gun we well worn in and I also recomend you replace the slide stop with a better made one. EGW makes an outstanding one. A tight barel that locks up tight can be hard on a slide stop and the better made ones are good insurance. If a Slide Stop breaks it can ruin your barrel feet.

Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
honda53s

Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
clandestine
MSP Informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda53s View Post
Chad, I thought you were working at scott's until all of the work was done? I thought you were going to give my 1911 your love.lol ( not in a gay way )
Im still there but Im not taking in any more work, if I do ill never get to leave.

I currently have 30 1911's that im working on at the moment. When I close my eyes I see 1911's. Im going insane. LOL

Clandestine, You're the reason gun owners are continually screwed over because you can't just shut up. You have to get a ruling as if to prove something. No doubt they will go with the most strict interpretation possible in regards to OAL. Not that I ever planned on doing business with you, but I will make sure that anyone who asks my opinion on your services doesn't go to you. You'll be solely responsible for the lousy method of measuring OAL resulting in wretched pinned muzzle devices.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM   #5
honda53s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Im still there but Im not taking in any more work, if I do ill never get to leave.

I currently have 30 1911's that im working on at the moment. When I close my eyes I see 1911's. Im going insane. LOL
I wish I could see 1911's when I sleep. Lol. Sorry OP
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6
zombiehunter

I really want a pair of sequential 1911s...I need a job

Want Silver? I have some for sale, like these (not my store/ad) One ounce bars, pre-scored into 1/4 ounce pieces. Discounted from Ebay prices premiums depending on quantity (80 ounces available).
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #7
clandestine
MSP Informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
I really want a pair of sequential 1911s...I need a job
Face off 1911's?

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
ITG

"How do you know I drive a Packard?"
ITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
mikec

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWiz View Post
I am contemplating accurizing my Taurus 1911 for bullseye competition. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who has a reputation for this type of project? Has anyone had a Taurus 1911 accurized, How much did it cost? Was the effort & expense worth it?
Contact this gent, http://www.derrprecision.com/index.html

He can assist and will tell you if the Taurus can be used as a base gun.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #10
zombiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Face off 1911's?
But not gold plated :-D

Want Silver? I have some for sale, like these (not my store/ad) One ounce bars, pre-scored into 1/4 ounce pieces. Discounted from Ebay prices premiums depending on quantity (80 ounces available).
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWiz View Post
I did it, and I'm shooting as well as guys in my class shooting Les Baer's. That may change IF and when I make Master, but I'd do it again in a minute. People sometimes tick up their noses at my Taurus (polishing a turd is my favorite comment so far) but when I put three in the X-ring at 50 yards and shoot low to mid 90's, the laughing stops.

national match bushing, tighten the slide, a little, v-e-r-y little trigger work, a rail for the ultradot and change out the recoil spring and you're pretty much done

All the best,
Rob
Old Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting