• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What profile do you use?

• Total voters

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I have been using berry's 124gr RN bullets for plinking, practice, and IDPA. I find that they are easy to load and are fairly accurate, but I have been wondering if there is any benefit to the other varieties that Berry's offers. So I purchased a sample of the 124gr FP, 124gr HBFP, and even the 147gr RN.

For this test I wanted to focus on the different profiles to see what difference I could find, so I loaded up some of the 124gr RN, FP, and HBFP. I will save the 147gr testing for another day since I will need to greatly adjust the powder.

Hypothesis:
    I think I will have the same velocity and recoil from each of these loads. I believe the flat point would have slightly better accuracy than the round nose, and the hollow base flat point will be better than both because it would have the most contact with the barrel during firing, thus stabilizing the bullet more.

The Bullets:

OAL:
    FP: .527
    HBFP: .553
    RN: .582
    147: .669

Here is a picture of the different bullet profiles from smallest to largest FP/HBFP/RN/ and I included the 147gr RN for comparison:
    Bullets.png

The equipment and setup:
    M&P full size 4.25 barrel, APEX Comp trigger, plain notch rear and fiber front
    ProChrono Digital on tripod
    Standing, with sandbag rest on bench
    Dirty Bird 12" targets
    Completely empty range at Sanners

Load Data
    I used 4.3gr of Titegroup, CCI primers, and Winchester brass for all of the loads.

COAL for each load:
    RN: 1.15
    FP: 1.055
    HBFP: 1.065

Shooting
    I shot six strings of twenty rounds each at 15yds using a different target for each string and recording the velocities. I also shot three strings of ten rounds each at 25yds with different targets for each string but I didn't record any velocities.

All of the rounds chambered flawlessly and I had zero malfunctions, to be expected from the M&P.

Average velocity:

RN: 1080
    FP: 1134
    HBFP: 1125

The Targets at 15 yards:

For simplicities sake I'm only showing the targets for strings 4/5/6, strings 1/2/3 were on targets that were just too small but they showed similar results. Strings 7/8/9 were at 25 yards and had similar results but with greater shot spread.

124gr Round Nose:
    RN_15.png

124gr Flat Point:
    FP_15.png

124gr Hollow Base Flat Point:
    HBFP_15.png

Conclusion:

The FP and HBFP both had higher velocities than the RN by about 50fps even though they had the same load. I'm not exactly sure why. Will have to confirm with more tests.

The FP and HBFP had greater accuracy than the RN, this was confirmed on each string, with 25yds being the most extreme. The FP and HBFP were about the same at 15yds with a slight advantage to the FP, At 25yds the advantage went to the HBFP just slightly.

I will need to do more reloading and testing to confirm these results. I would like to do more testing between the FP and HBFP at greater distances to find an accuracy difference between the two, if there is one. I also need to find a comparable load for the 147gr RN to test against these two.

I'm pretty much a noob at all of this so the experienced folks around here should feel free to pick this apart. :)

Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I used to use Berry's because of cost. They performed fine. I found I could buy fmj for the same price so that what I buy now.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Your method seems impecable. You are carefully working things up and recording your results. Of course you will reach the capability limits of these components and have to continually search for improvements. There will always be something that will cut your group size in half.

Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    i've been using 4.5 Titegroup w/ 115 grn rn fmj with good results. I do need to do tests like you though.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I've been using X-Treme bullets, which seem to be very much like the Berry's. I just picked up some 124 gr FP and I'm still trying to work out the load. I'm new at this stuff too. When I called X-Treme, they said to use Speer loading data for FMJ, but before that I was told by others to use cast data for plated bullets. Sheesh.... What is the bullet length of your 124 FP? Mine is about .512 in. If it's the same as mine, I'm probably not seating deeply enough. According the Speer data my OAL should be 1.20, which is considerably longer than yours.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Nice groups on the 124 FP.

I've read on the Bullseye L list that a good load for the plated 124RN is:
    4.1 grains Titegroup
    OAL 1.09

I haven't tried it myself since I'm waiting for my 9mm gun to be built and the barrel that my gun will be using is a 1:32 twist which will require the lighter 115 bullets.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used Berry's .38 Special plated bullets and was quite pleased with the results. If they say use FMJ specs, I'd believe them, it's their product. Some of the earlier plated bullets I've used had very thin plating, so running them at lead speeds made sense.

Jim

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I've run a lot of berry's plated hollow points, but when i got a deal on jacketed HP's i bought those instead.

I was perfectly happy with their accuracy.

marlin.357

NRA Life Member, MSI, SAF
    Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    "The FP and HBFP both had higher velocities than the RN by about 50fps even though they had the same load. I'm not exactly sure why. Will have to confirm with more tests."

Shorter OAL = Higher pressure (everything else being equal). Higher pressure = Higher Velocity. Nothing is free though, too much pressure is a BAD thing.

With the FP & FPHB you have more of the bullet in the case (more lead, less air) than with the RN. Less volume, higher pressure. Boyle's law P=nRT/V

Good job testing. I've tried to get load data directly from Berry's for the 124 gr FP, but they don't have any. Workiing up a load for the 124 FP using W231, I'll post the results when I get them.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    "The FP and HBFP both had higher velocities than the RN by about 50fps even though they had the same load. I'm not exactly sure why. Will have to confirm with more tests."

Shorter OAL = Higher pressure (everything else being equal). Higher pressure = Higher Velocity. Nothing is free though, too much pressure is a BAD thing.

With the FP & FPHB you have more of the bullet in the case (more lead, less air) than with the RN. Less volume, higher pressure. Boyle's law P=nRT/V

Good job testing. I've tried to get load data directly from Berry's for the 124 gr FP, but they don't have any. Workiing up a load for the 124 FP using W231, I'll post the results when I get them.

When I follow the Speer loading FMJ data for my FP, I have a .015 LONGER OAL than I did using Hodgedin data for RN cast bullets.

marlin.357

Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    "When I follow the Speer loading FMJ data for my FP, I have a .015 LONGER OAL than I did using Hodgedin data for RN cast bullets."

The FP Berry's have to be loaded shorter to chamber in many pistols because of the truncated cone shape of the nose. A round nose with a flat point can be loaded a bit longer without being jammed into the rifling.

Speer's manual is going to have load data specific to their bullets, Hodgdon's data is going to be more generic. Good to cross reference data, but be careful of apples to oranges comparisons.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    The FP Berry's have to be loaded shorter to chamber in many pistols because of the truncated cone shape of the nose. A round nose with a flat point can be loaded a bit longer without being jammed into the rifling.

I never had that problem with my ruger, but when I went to load them into my keltec pf-9 i ran int o the problem and had to do some new loads to get them to fit the other pistol.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    "When I follow the Speer loading FMJ data for my FP, I have a .015 LONGER OAL than I did using Hodgedin data for RN cast bullets."

Speer's manual is going to have load data specific to their bullets, Hodgdon's data is going to be more generic. Good to cross reference data, but be careful of apples to oranges comparisons.

That's why I was concerned. The data from Speer has the FP longer than the RN I was loading.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Nice groups on the 124 FP.

I've read on the Bullseye L list that a good load for the plated 124RN is:
    4.1 grains Titegroup
    OAL 1.09

I haven't tried it myself since I'm waiting for my 9mm gun to be built and the barrel that my gun will be using is a 1:32 twist which will require the lighter 115 bullets.

I wasn't consistently getting enough velocity to meet IDPA SSP power floor when I tried 4.1gr, so I bumped it up to 4.3 to have a cushion. There isn't a recognizable difference in recoil between the two. I will have to try reducing the OAL to 1.09 with 4.1 to see if it makes the difference. The longer barreled guns make power factor with even less than 4.1gr, down to 3.8 from what I've read.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I've run a lot of berry's plated hollow points, but when i got a deal on jacketed HP's i bought those instead.

I was perfectly happy with their accuracy.

I have some FREE JHPs coming from Hornady. Can't wait to try them out. Whats your load data on these?

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I think they've thickened the plating considerably. At least from reading their description.

It's plenty thick. I smashed a regular FMJ and a plated Berry's to compare the two. The FMJ was about three times as thick, but the plated was still pretty tough, it does the job.

marlin.357

Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    Loaded some Berry's 124 gr FP's using W231, OAL 1.060"

3.8 gr gave an average velocity of 955 fps
    4.1 gr gave an average velocity of 1035 fps

Both loads gave an approximate 2.5" group at 10 yards rested.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Loaded some Berry's 124 gr FP's using W231, OAL 1.060"

3.8 gr gave an average velocity of 955 fps
    4.1 gr gave an average velocity of 1035 fps

Both loads gave an approximate 2.5" group at 10 yards rested.

You know you're off the path of published data?
    What's your pressure look like?
    This is why one needs to research rather than relying on other peoples reloading recipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom