Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
kronusthebonus
Jackwagon

Range Report: S&W 1911SC "E" Series Bobtail

So I acquired my SW1911Sc Bi-tone yesterday and this morning I had the pleasure of taking it to Hap Baker.

This is my second 1911, my first being a Kimber Ultra Carry II which I regrettably got rid of, but this S&W crushes the Kimber in all aspects.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and it fits in my hand perfectly. It came with a 7 round low-profile flat base mag, and an 8 round mag with a base pad (more on this below)

When I got it out of the box I field stripped, cleaned and lubed it. Field stripping was a bit different from the kimber, but I finally figured it out.

Went to Walmart and picked up a box of WWB and proceeded to Hap Baker, where the pistol range was quite full. I was lucky to get the last stall in the middle.

It was windy, so it made hitting targets a pain, but this gun makes me look good. I was very accurate and recoil was very manageable. I went through 100 rounds very fast, it seemed. However, the 8 round failed to feed numerous times. It was weird, when the mag was empty, it felt snug in the magwell. However, when it was loaded, even with 1 round, I found move it around in the magwell, up and down and a little bit of sideways play. I don't know if it's the magazine or the pistol, but I gave up on the 8 round mag. The 7 round mag fed all day long with 0 FTF or FTE's.

The oversized external extractor, though, threw some brass back in my face and ontop of my head a few times. Not sure if needs to be broken in, or what, but that was kind of annoying.

Overall, this gun is a work of art, and as soon as I can get with S&W about this 8 round mag, I'm sure it will be perfect.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
kronusthebonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Minuteman
NRA Life Member

Great range report! I was very much looking forward to an honest and candid review of the gun as a shooter. Agreed it is absolutely beautiful, glad to know it shoots ok. If you are able to figure out the mag issue or have any specific advice I would most appreciate it.

The photo is wonderful, flip it over lets see the other side
I'm also interested in seeing the magazine well, and also how you perceive the grip safety, when gripping it very high. Did you have to punch out the pin to take apart, or could you just push it with a dowel?

The thumb safety, was it a quick and easy flick of the thumb, or did it stage, or give you any trouble?

Grips, look great, but did the high-gloss give you any issue moving or having to adjust while shooting?

Last edited by Minuteman; June 25th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
grb

She is a beauty! Glad S&W finally built a bobtail. Shoot the snot out of it.

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Dino

WoW, that's a nice looking gun!

Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
kronusthebonus
Jackwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post

The photo is wonderful, flip it over lets see the other side
I'm also interested in seeing the magazine well, and also how you perceive the grip safety, when gripping it very high. Did you have to punch out the pin to take apart, or could you just push it with a dowel?
The grip safety was perfect, I didn't have any issue. It was like it wasn't there. As far as taking it apart, S&W provides a "wrench" that you place over the barrel bushing, give it a quarter turn and the recoil spring pops up.

Quote:
The thumb safety, was it a quick and easy flick of the thumb, or did it stage, or give you any trouble?
Thumb safety was a crisp flick, not mushy it at all.

Quote:
Grips, look great, but did the high-gloss give you any issue moving or having to adjust while shooting?
A few times, but I think it was just me getting used to the gun. I have smaller hands, and they fit me fine. I remember my old Kimber being too small, and it was uncomfortable after 50 rounds or so. The S&W was a pleasure to shoot, I could have gone all day long.

Can't wait to hand load a bunch of rounds and shoot the hell out of it. Ask and ye shall receive!

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #6
kronusthebonus
Jackwagon

By the way, I forgot to mention how light this gun feels. It's very smooth and they did a great job dehorning it ever so slightly. I don't have a holster for it, but I loaded it up and stuck it behind my belt in the 4 o'clock position and I could easily carry this piece all day.

You know, if I had one of those pesky MD permits... but I do have my Utah permit and I will be carrying this on all my PA excursions.

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
JeepDriver
Self confessed gun snob

One of the few 1911's that impress me. Most cock up the 1911 design when they modify it. S&W has done well.

JeepDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #8
lax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
So I acquired my SW1911Sc Bi-tone yesterday and this morning I had the pleasure of taking it to Hap Baker.

This is my second 1911, my first being a Kimber Ultra Carry II which I regrettably got rid of, but this S&W crushes the Kimber in all aspects.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and it fits in my hand perfectly. It came with a 7 round low-profile flat base mag, and an 8 round mag with a base pad (more on this below)

When I got it out of the box I field stripped, cleaned and lubed it. Field stripping was a bit different from the kimber, but I finally figured it out.

Went to Walmart and picked up a box of WWB and proceeded to Hap Baker, where the pistol range was quite full. I was lucky to get the last stall in the middle.

It was windy, so it made hitting targets a pain, but this gun makes me look good. I was very accurate and recoil was very manageable. I went through 100 rounds very fast, it seemed. However, the 8 round failed to feed numerous times. It was weird, when the mag was empty, it felt snug in the magwell. However, when it was loaded, even with 1 round, I found move it around in the magwell, up and down and a little bit of sideways play. I don't know if it's the magazine or the pistol, but I gave up on the 8 round mag. The 7 round mag fed all day long with 0 FTF or FTE's.

The oversized external extractor, though, threw some brass back in my face and ontop of my head a few times. Not sure if needs to be broken in, or what, but that was kind of annoying.

Overall, this gun is a work of art, and as soon as I can get with S&W about this 8 round mag, I'm sure it will be perfect.

that is a great looking piece, Hap Baker was full today I was there at opening and took the last rifle spot, with only 100 and 200 stands while others were waiting
lax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Yoshi
Invictus

Beautiful!

Last edited by Yoshi; March 12th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Marauder
Wheelgun addict

Sweet Weapon!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #11
mikec

I really like the "fish scales" cocking serrations that S&W has come up with. They use a variation on the plastic M&P guns, but what they do with the 1911's is real nice.

It seems that the folks at S&W did their homework and came up with some winners.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #12
JohnnyBmore
This is not a"FREE STATE"

Thanks for the Review .. Just Beautiful!

Old March 13th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #13
Baccusboy

Location: Seoul, South Korea (no guns for civilians, but I have my CCW in Iowa to use on vacation when home).
Send a message via Skype™ to Baccusboy
It looks cool, but I'm not a fan of the fish scales. I'd feel like Merman shooting it.

Old March 13th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Maryland Hunter

That is one of the nicest 1911s that I've seen. Absolutely beautiful!
Is that a commander or full sized?

MH

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
MSI Member
AGC Member
Monumental Rifle & Pistol Club Member
On Target Member
MD Designated Collector
C&R FFL 03
Maryland Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #15
kronusthebonus
Jackwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Hunter View Post
That is one of the nicest 1911s that I've seen. Absolutely beautiful!
Is that a commander or full sized?

MH
Commander

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Hol3shot
Sweet...

Nice looking 1911!

The more I see of the S&W's, the more I am sold on it being the 3rd on my list Which means next in the cue as far as saving money for. I like it alot!

ND CCW -
Hol3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #17
NathanJ
Slacker

I've been reading a lot about the S&W 1911's. I have three R.I.A.'s and I think I finally have them buffed out to run. Wink's has a SW1911 with adjustable sights that I put on layaway yesterday. My god they are beautiful. I think Chad said they are one of the very few that run well right out of the box. It's gonna take awhile but one is coming home with me too!
NathanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #18
sooner

She is a Beauty
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #19
Baccusboy

Location: Seoul, South Korea (no guns for civilians, but I have my CCW in Iowa to use on vacation when home).
Send a message via Skype™ to Baccusboy
How has this pistol held up in terms of scratching on the frame?

I am interested in one, but every video I've seen on Youtube shows that they are easily scratched.

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #20
Minuteman
NRA Life Member

Yep, can we get an update?

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns