Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

Greymon's Mauser K98 restoration thread

So here it goes a 1940 Mauser K98K 42 Code Russian Capture. The one I got from Auction Arms in this thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52265

KeepShooting did the transfer for me. I am going to order the front sight hood, screws, cleaning rod, and bayonet at a later date. I first want to get the stock back to it's former glory. That's easier said than done since I have no experience in this area. So I would like you guys to walk me through this, I hear it involves denatured alcohol and linseed oil, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering about that screw in the last picture above the trigger area, I don't see that in any of the Mausers in the Mauser Picture Thread.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Saiga 7.62 Flat Trunion Bullet Guide F/S PM me
ST19AG_WGreymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
05dodgedaytona

Very nice.

NRA Member
MSI Member
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R FFL
05dodgedaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
j8064
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

First, it's a nice Mauser. Take your time and learn before you go stripping finishes and fixing stuff. Understand what you're going to do before you do it.

I've recently restored several Turk mausers. Not the same rifle, but very similar. There is much to be learned on stock repair and refinishing on this forum: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php. Join, read a lot and send "Candyman" a PM there. He's a master at stock repair and refinishes.

You'll also get much advice here. But as I said, take it slow and plan ahead. And we definately want to see pics of your progress.

P.S. That screw above the trigger and under the bolt handle looks like an added crossbolt (recoil lug). It's not a normal action screw and could have been added by the Ruskies, You'll need to look closer inside to see why it's there and what it's there for. Could be a stock crack it's trying to reinforce. There are ways to reinforce cracks inside the stock that are invisible on the outside.

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
metalman3006
Gun Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post

P.S. That screw above the trigger and under the bolt handle looks like an added crossbolt (recoil lug). It's not a normal action screw and could have been added by the Ruskies, You'll need to look closer inside to see why it's there and what it's there for. Could be a stock crack it's trying to reinforce. There are ways to reinforce cracks inside the stock that are invisible on the outside.
My Norwegian stock I purchased has a wooden dowel through the same place. Seems a lot of the stocks separate there.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand
metalman3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman3006 View Post
My Norwegian stock I purchased has a wooden dowel through the same place. Seems a lot of the stocks separate there.
+1
I have seen a few Norweigan stocks with a wooden dowel in that area.
First time I have seen a cross bolt there...The Russians usually put it in the wrist area. It's to reinforce an internal stock seperation in the trigger area that is common but normaly never a problem.
If it was mine after you strip off the shellac (if that's what you intend to do) I would cold blue that cross bolt just to make it less noticeable. I also cold blued the electro-pencil #'s to make them less noticeable as well.
If you want it to look more "original" you need to remove the Russian blue from the buttplate.
Garand1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM   #6
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1957 View Post
+1
I have seen a few Norweigan stocks with a wooden dowel in that area.
First time I have seen a cross bolt there...The Russians usually put it in the wrist area. It's to reinforce an internal stock seperation in the trigger area that is common but normaly never a problem.
So what you're saying is...mine is unique. XD Is this good or bad?

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
RollTide

Nice mauser, I gotta check out auction arms more often. I just got one from wideners a couple weeks ago but paid $75 more.
RollTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #8
Drmsparks
Old School Rifleman

I'm about to take a second shot at the one I was doing. There is too much crud left in the grain from the russian shellacking. Just doesn't show off the grain like I was hoping. Might have to re strip and bleach it.....

"There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay."
---Threeband

MSI EM --- NRA Life Member --- CMP Competitor --- NRA Expert HP Rifle
Drmsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #9
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

The bore is nice and shiny too! I'll be taking more pics once I start restoring her.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #10
hvymax
Banned

I think the dishwasher trick steams out a lot of the dents and dings while giving a good cleaning. You will want to wait till the wife is not around though.
hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #11
KMK1862

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST19AG_WGreymon View Post
So what you're saying is...mine is unique. XD Is this good or bad?
I think it depends on what you want out of your rifle. AFIAK, that extra bolt/lug near the trigger gaurd wasn't standard issue. If you want an R/C K98k its good. If you want to restore the gun as close as possible to the way it looked in 1940 when it left the factory, then, IMO, it's bad.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

"People who are not themselves are nobody." - Gen. George S. Patton

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Member of:
The human race
KMK1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

I decided to do a light refinishing. I wanted to get her a little lighter but for now she's okay.

Before:

After opening her up, I found out what that bolt was for:

Reinforcement near the trigger guard area, wish there was a way to remove it.

Finally, after a very light refinishing:

Overall she's much smoother now, Russian red is off, she's a little more brown now. I may go for a second pass at maker her lighter in the future.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #13
j8064
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

The Mauser looks much better. As you can see the reinforcement was added to repair the crack still visible in the pics. Could you remove it? Sure. But you'd need to put a cross dowel in its place. It's probably not worth the effort. If it was me, I'd cold blue the visible metal on the repair to make it less noticeable and call it a day.

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Redd Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
The Mauser looks much better. As you can see the reinforcement was added to repair the crack still visible in the pics. Could you remove it? Sure. But you'd need to put a cross dowel in its place. It's probably not worth the effort. If it was me, I'd cold blue the visible metal on the repair to make it less noticeable and call it a day.
Wood looks nice but remember that it will never be anything more than a cleaned up Russian captured & refurb'd Mauser and that is a part of it's history.
Redd Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #15
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

I have the cleaning rod, front sight hood, capture screws, and sling on order. It cost me $45 as a package. Time to find a bayonet.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #16
KMK1862

Quote:
I have the cleaning rod, front sight hood, capture screws, and sling on order. It cost me $45 as a package. Time to find a bayonet.
Does your rifle have the notches on the front sight for the hood? Your rifle is 1940 model, IIRC. If the notches aren't present your rilfe won't take the sight hood. Nothing wrong with this, just the earlier K98ks didn't have sight hoods and weren't designed to take them. Just an FYI for you.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

"People who are not themselves are nobody." - Gen. George S. Patton

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Member of:
The human race
KMK1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #17
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK1862 View Post
Does your rifle have the notches on the front sight for the hood? Your rifle is 1940 model, IIRC. If the notches aren't present your rilfe won't take the sight hood. Nothing wrong with this, just the earlier K98ks didn't have sight hoods and weren't designed to take them. Just an FYI for you.
I made sure it had the front sight hood before I even bid.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #18
ST19AG_WGreymon
Air Force SrA

I'm contemplating steaming out the dings as others have suggested but I kind of like the "war-torn" look it has at the moment.

Looking for:
Saiga 12
GSG5

Old February 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #19
Garand1957
Banned

Quote:
I got one I could sell you
PM me if interested for details
Garand1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)