Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Old January 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #1
rouchna

Ruger GP100 Barrel length....4 or 6 inch?

Hi Everyone,

My next purchase is going to be a Ruger GP100. I have spent months trying out every .357 revolver I can get my hands on. I decided that I simply love the GP100. I love the way it feels in my hand, the way it shoots, and the way it looks. Now the question is....4" or 6" barrel? I have shot both and this is what I learned. The 6 inch's recoil is lighter than the 4 inch's but yet they are both very manageable. They both fit well in my hand and have a good weight balance. They both cost the same. I found myself accurate with both at 25 yards but more accurate with the 6" at longer distances. The 4" weighs less and is more "portable". Now this gun will not be used for anything other than a range gun and maybe Home Defense if I can't get to my 870 quick enough. I will also not be doing any hunting of any sort. I simply just want a .357 revolver. Having said that, what do you guys think? Any experience with either? Any noticeable differences I didn't mention or didn't look for? P.S. I am not ashamed to also say that the 6" GP100 looks a little more bad ass than the 4". Any suggestions and/or personal thoughts are appreciated.
rouchna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
joppaj

Sheepdog

The 6" looks a little nicer, especially blued with the rosewood inset grips. The 4" fits in range bags a bit better and I have enough damn huge revolvers without adding another one. Either way it's an excellent choice.

Supporting our MDS Industry Partners helps keep MDS online. PLEASE give them a chance to earn your business and tell them that you found them here.

Quote:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.- Col. Jeff Cooper
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

I love the GP-100 I don't have my own yet but grew up shooting my dads 6in stainless with the older wood and rubber grips and loved it. Personally I will get a 6in as they look better, IMO feel better and are more accurate.

Edit:

Old January 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4
tss1004
Glock, AR, Savage Junkie

4"

/thread

In all seriousness, I personally think the 4" GP100 is probably my favorite double action revolver by a long shot. For some reason the proportions just strike me as perfect with a 4". While the 6" is nice, I personally just prefer the 4".

Buying Mossberg 500's. Old, new, sporting or tactical I'm interested
tss1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Hynes57

6 inches will be great for the range but may be a little unwieldy in close quarters. I like the 4 inch myself I have held a 5 inch as well. The 4 felt less nose heavy. You should look for the 5 inch.
Hynes57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #6
jaygibson

I have had a 4 for a long time and I really like it. It is a very handy revolver.
jaygibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #7
rouchna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynes57 View Post
6 inches will be great for the range but may be a little unwieldy in close quarters. I like the 4 inch myself I have held a 5 inch as well. The 4 felt less nose heavy. You should look for the 5 inch.
Thanks everyone. To be honest, I didn't even know they made a 5". Please keep the suggestions coming. Other than my personal preferences, MDS has always been a huge factor in my purchasing decisions.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #8
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouchna View Post
Thanks everyone. To be honest, I didn't even know they made a 5". Please keep the suggestions coming. Other than my personal preferences, MDS has always been a huge factor in my purchasing decisions.
from wiki

Quote:
Barrel lengths: 3" (76mm), 4" (102mm), 5" (127mm), and 6" (152mm) The run of 5" GP100 revolvers was the result of a special request from a large distributor.

Old January 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #9
El_flasko
Resident Mortgage Guru

I like where you're head's at pal...I would love to have that revolver (4" flavor). I REALLY like the 686 I shot a while back (thanks Lax). Good luck with your purchase, I look forward to test driving it for ya

I am lending in all 50 States

NRA member & MSI Executive member
El_flasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Matt, the gunslinger

I to had the some choice to make.....so I bought both. The 4 inch is plenty accurate, but the 6 inch is legal to take hunting with you in MD. Both fantastic shooters!
Matt, the gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #11
rouchna

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_flasko View Post
I like where you're head's at pal...I would love to have that revolver (4" flavor). I REALLY like the 686 I shot a while back (thanks Lax). Good luck with your purchase, I look forward to test driving it for ya
It's a couple of months away but you know you're always welcome to "test drive" any of my guns bro.
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #12
NateTheShake
11B

I use mine (6") mainly as a range gun and it is fantastic. I have shot the 4" and it was pretty similar, but I like the longer sight radius and looks of the 6". If you're really torn buy both.

"The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you." - Ender Wiggin

"Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.' -Mazer Rackham
NateTheShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #13
hvymax
Banned

Get the 6". It will make smacking 100yd gongs seem easy. Making barrel length decisions sucks so I got a Dan Wesson. I set up the 10" barrel with a douglas tube and a scope. The 6"for modified and the 4" for misc carry.
hvymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Bikebreath
21st Century Hoplite

Proportionally I like the 4".

If you ever want to do IDPA, the 4" is allowed, but the 6" is not. Get the 4" and loan it to me for IDPA.

...or not.

"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs." Judge Legg --- March 5, 2012

Step up to the plate: http://marylandshallissue.org/
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Mr H
Land of Peasant Loathing

While I can see the benefit of a 4" for carry, I absolutely adore my 6" for overall handling and shooting satisfaction.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
-Harry S Truman

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
-LP McDonald

Member: MSI BoD, NRA, GOA-Life
MD Designated Collector

We're all on the lists. Now speak up and get your money's worth.
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #16
GunnyHwy

I have the 6 inch GP100. Love it!
GunnyHwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #17
smokering
Day Walker

4"....I didn't buy it for "looks".

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #18
marko

I bought my 4" S S at kensington gun and train (now engage) in 1992.
Still got the sales slip! $ 4 inch.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #19
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

I really hope for the sake of everyone there that Maryland will become a "shall issue" state. That said, you can reasonably carry a 4" concealed, but the 6" will be a lot tougher. I'd vote the 4" if you don't get both.

Jim
jimbobborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Huckleberry
Don't push me, Bureaucrat

I've got the 3" and 4". The 4" is a wondedrful, all around, general purpose gun which can handle almost any chore or ammo you throw at it. Great to shoot .357 all day long.

For CCW, the 3" rules and can also handle a steady diet of .357 without killing you hand.

I prefer the my GPs to S&Ws M19/66 in 2.5 and 4 as blasphemous as it is to the Followers of Jordan.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us!"

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns