• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) -- A federal lawsuit filed in Sioux Falls alleges that the state's concealed weapons law is discriminatory because it requires the permit holder to be a United States citizen.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of Wayne S. Smith, a Minnehaha County resident who has lived in the U.S. for 30 years after emigrating from the United Kingdom.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/aclu/2011...e-right-carry-concealed-weapons#ixzz1AHqELbMP

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Soooo..... as long it's a non-resident, the ACLU cares.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Don't forget all of their undocumented workers as well.

They aren't undocumented anymore, they're on the voting roles and counted in the census... they are new American's who just happened to forget to file paperwork.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The national ACLU does not believe citizens have the right to own or even carry concealed weapons(they disagreed with the Heller decision!) but now they believe non-citizens do have the right to carry?
    Are they retarded or smoking crack?!?
    I guess it's the state ACLU and not the national ACLU doing this since some state chapters did come out and support Heller.

They said this crap in 2008.....
    "The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized."

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There might be a silver lining in this case.

If "self defense" is labeled an acceptable reason for concealed carry, then that would help the wollard case out here in MD.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    The national ACLU does not believe citizens have the right to own or even carry concealed weapons(they disagreed with the Heller decision!) but now they believe non-citizens do have the right to carry?
    Are they retarded or smoking crack?!?
    I guess it's the state ACLU and not the national ACLU doing this since some state chapters did come out and support Heller.

They said this crap in 2008.....
    "The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized."

Maybe they agree with only non-citizens carrying so they can thin out the US born citizens,just sayin :innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    WTF? Since when did the US Constitution apply no non-citizens?

The constitution is the basic law the governs everyone in the United States, Citizen or Non-Citizen.

Just like where Non-Citizens are tried when they commit murder, the same as a Citizen who commits murder.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    The constitution is the basic law the governs everyone in the United States, Citizen or Non-Citizen.

Just like where Non-Citizens are tried when they commit murder, the same as a Citizen who commits murder.

Do you have something showing this? I thought you get deported after crimes like that if you are a non-citizen?

This shit just makes my blood boil though. He's a resident of another country where you can't even carry a knife and he comes here, stays for 30 years, doesn't have the decency to become a full fledged citizen and expects to be able to express a federal right that I, A FULL BLOWN 4TH GENERATION US CITIZEN, am denied. :tdown:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do you have something showing this? I thought you get deported after crimes like that if you are a non-citizen?

The non-citizens (illegal aliens are in this category also) get deported after time served in a US jail.

Look at what Arizona is complaining about with the illegals, and you can't blame them. it costing AZ some serious cash to house the illegals.
    :sad20:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

This.

And for the record, I called this exact scenario right after McDonald.

Sorry...I feel like being right at least once today. It's been a long one so far...
    ;)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The ACLU getting involved in pro-gun cases is interesting. If you look at some of the history of our society.

In Ancient Greece, free males from other towns often enjoyed legal protections the same as citizens did.

In biblical Israel, the Torah says "you shall have one law for both the Jew and the Alien"

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Soooo..... as long it's a non-resident, the ACLU cares.

Just to clarify, local ACLU chapters have split with the national group over their interpretation of Heller/McDonald.

The do not always coordinate or file similar lawsuits. As these cases present, local ACLU chapters (especially in the west) are going to become important allies.....

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It depends... legal residents who pay taxes, serve in the US military, law abiding immigrants that contribute to society should be allowed a CCW permit. If they meet the requirements, then so be it.

As an American, other governments have provisions to allow me to pack a concealed firearm when I visit their country.

Just my two cents.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    It depends... legal residents who pay taxes, serve in the US military, law abiding immigrants that contribute to society should be allowed a CCW permit. If they meet the requirements, then so be it.

As an American, other governments have provisions to allow me to pack a concealed firearm when I visit their country.

Just my two cents.

I agree. If we are talking about legal residents, this is common sense. The second amendment applies to everyone who is here legally. The US Constitution is the law of the land, not law of natural born citizens.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    1. They're NOT asking that non-citizens be given a right that citizens don't have.

2. They ARE asking that legally present aliens be given the SAME RIGHT to CCW permits, that American citizens have.

My parents were both immigrants, and my father never became a U.S. citizen, because he'd have lost his health care coverage back in Australia. My mom got American citizenship back in the 70's, so she could work for a defense contractor. They lived here, legally, for 50 years, paid taxes, never broke any laws, and raised 100% American kids. Neither one of them had any interest in guns of any sort, but if they had, why shouldn't they have had that same right?

We don't deny driver's licenses to legal immigrants, why should we deny to them what we Americans claim is our RIGHT?

(Incidentally, I'm not pro-ACLU either - they're a bunch of bloodsucking, America-hating asswipes who happen to be right occasionally, just like a stopped clock is right twice a day.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom