Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Old October 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Sling1
Provocative Interloper

Saiga rifle conversion accuracy

I understand that replacing the FCG can help increase accuracy. Does it have to be converted to accomplish that? Are there any accuracy benefits with conversion beyond replacing the FCG?

I know, I know it's an AK. I'm assessing the benefits of conversion to explain to my financial planner/activities coordinator.
Sling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling1 View Post
I understand that replacing the FCG can help increase accuracy. Does it have to be converted to accomplish that? Are there any accuracy benefits with conversion beyond replacing the FCG?

I know, I know it's an AK. I'm assessing the benefits of conversion to explain to my financial planner/activities coordinator.
Not much in a conversion can help accuracy beyond making improvements while converting.

For instance:

Many AK barrels have crooked threads, loose muzzle devices and bad crowns. When doing a conversion this can be corrected when you change out the FSB.

Many AK's feed poorly, this rough feeding causes bullets to have runout after chambering. If you polich the ramp and chamfer the barrel then feeding is improved and accuracy improves.

Factory AK trigers are terrible, and you wont see any accuracy improvement in a Tapco, ot Kvar FCG. To squeeze the accuracy out you should install a RSA AK trigger, they are VERY nice, and lend the gun to better consistency.

Many AK's have of center sights, this can also be corected when converting. Canted sights make sighting some guns in impossible.

The MAIN reason to convert a SAIGA to a regular AK is simply "Originality" and "Coolness", no one wants a neutered AK. But if you convert it you can make improvements along the way.

The post/s above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing Gunsmith advice. My post/s do not constitute, nor do they create, a Gunsmith Contract or Warranty.

The opinion/s expressed do not reflect the opinion/s of Maryland Shooters or any Business and/or Organization.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #3
rob-cubed
In need of moderation

Convert it. You know you want to do it. You want me to get you a FCG and a stock for Christmas to go with that grip I gave you? Your better half can't complain if you are gifted the parts. YOU WILL CONVERT IT.

The Saiga's stock trigger pull with its extra linkage is so heavy and weird that I shot mine better with a new FCG moved forward. It doesn't improve mechanical accuracy but did help my practical accuracy.

And you know you want to use cheap AK mags with it, so let's make converting your gun the next priority when I'm up. Won't take more than a couple of hours.
rob-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
ericoak
don't drop Aboma on me

I don't know about the triggers in non converted rifles since I only have an sgl20, but I know the stock triggers on my saiga 12s have been the worst triggers I have ever felt. The tromix trigger I replaced it with is much better(Tromix Fcg is just a modified tapco g2).
ericoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Sling1
Provocative Interloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Not much in a conversion can help accuracy beyond making improvements while converting.
The MAIN reason to convert a SAIGA to a regular AK is simply "Originality" and "Coolness", no one wants a neutered AK. But if you convert it you can make improvements along the way.
Yep, got it.
I am gonna start with the G2 and then move up to the RSA. I want to see if the $50 is worth it for the accuracy improvement. If all goes well the RSA may find a home in some other AKs.

Rob-
Take it easy, I will covert it. Don't know if I I like the SAW grip and am considering wood furniture from Dinzag. It looks a little cheap but I like it better than plastic. We have other AK work do Sunday.
Sling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

First time I've heard of the RSA trigger. Googlin around now, and hearing plenty of good stuff about them, and plenty of "it's not worth the price" from ARF-types. I'd like to hear more about the Red Star Arms trigger before I bought one. I've got a couple Saiga conversions on the horizon...

MSI Member
hole punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #7
armed ferret
Banned

I need to do some stuff to mine to make 'em a little better if possible.

Chad, I fully expect you to not do any shooting on Sunday, instead devoting all your time to my AK's to help me figure out what to do.

armed ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #8
rob-cubed
In need of moderation

My VEPR has an RSA in it, I was considering bringing that to the shoot if anyone wants to try it out. It's a nice trigger--almost overkill on an AK.
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #9
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed ferret View Post
I need to do some stuff to mine to make 'em a little better if possible.

Chad, I fully expect you to not do any shooting on Sunday, instead devoting all your time to my AK's to help me figure out what to do.

The post/s above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing Gunsmith advice. My post/s do not constitute, nor do they create, a Gunsmith Contract or Warranty.

The opinion/s expressed do not reflect the opinion/s of Maryland Shooters or any Business and/or Organization.
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #10
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hole punch View Post
First time I've heard of the RSA trigger. Googlin around now, and hearing plenty of good stuff about them, and plenty of "it's not worth the price" from ARF-types. I'd like to hear more about the Red Star Arms trigger before I bought one. I've got a couple Saiga conversions on the horizon...
The RSA is the BEST AK trigger, bar none. Problem with the ARFcom experts is they dont know how to set up the trigger correctly and it malfunctions.

Ask armed ferret about my AK triggers.

Old October 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #11
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

i want in on the next AK build dammit! lol is there going to be another?

MSI Member
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #12
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
Not unless I lose my main job, I really am going to go Dexter if I continue working with gunshop perople. Im just doing one build on the Dracos. If anyone needs any other AK work done I can do it at the same time.

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #13
randyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling1 View Post
Yep, got it.
I am gonna start with the G2 and then move up to the RSA. I want to see if the $50 is worth it for the accuracy improvement. If all goes well the RSA may find a home in some other AKs.
... Don't know if I I like the SAW grip and am considering wood furniture from Dinzag. It looks a little cheap but I like it better than plastic. We have other AK work do Sunday.
Just another data point. My G2 isn't as good as what came in my mak90. I'll be going RSA from now on. Not a fan of the saw grip that I put on mine, either. US Palm makes a nice one and mine will be getting them from now on. Last, ironwood designs makes nice furniture. Very happy with what they sent me.

Shop around, take your time, but definitely do convert it.
randyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:53 AM   #14
armed ferret
Banned

Quote:
I have all the tooling for building on complete receivers....
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:56 PM   #15
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Not unless I lose my main job, I really am going to go Dexter if I continue working with gunshop perople. Im just doing one build on the Dracos. If anyone needs any other AK work done I can do it at the same time.
understood. dont' burn yourself out.

Quote:
I have all the tooling for building on complete receivers....
if there's ever going to be a build party i'd be willing to get in on it. i'm clueless as to where to start so i'd need help. just something to think about.

MSI Member
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:58 PM   #16
armed ferret
Banned

you and me makes a party, big boy.
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM   #17
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Quote:
you and me makes a party, big boy.
That does not sound quite right.

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM   #18
armed ferret
Banned

maybe not, but it sure feels right.
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM   #19
rob-cubed
In need of moderation

Good to see you back from firearms limbo, comrade Ferret! I think there are several members who could probably use your AK experience.

Holepunch, if you don't want a hobby that will quickly consume all your free time and resources, don't start building AKs...
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM   #20
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-cubed View Post
Good to see you back from firearms limbo, comrade Ferret! I think there are several members who could probably use your AK experience.

Holepunch, if you don't want a hobby that will quickly consume all your free time and resources, don't start building AKs...

hmmm.. you're not making this sound any less tempting

ferrett OTOH is turning me off lol

MSI Member

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles