• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Been using it for blastng lately and testing in other peoples AR's.

BAout one in every 100 rounds a primer pops out of the casing and jams up the works. Looks like they didnt stake the primers.

Just a heads up for those considering buying. Perhaps the 5K I have is a bad batch but its been giving me fits.

Specs: (Or what its supposedly advertised to be)

Comes in Brown 30 Round Boxes
    Israeli M855, 62 Grain Penetrator (Tips are NOT painted)

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Been using it for blastng lately and testing in other peoples AR's.

BAout one in every 100 rounds a primer pops out of the casing and jams up the works. Looks like they didnt stake the primers.

Just a heads up for those considering buying. Perhaps the 5K I have is a bad batch but its been giving me fits.

Specs: (Or what its supposedly advertised to be)

Comes in Brown 30 Round Boxes
    Israeli M855, 62 Grain Penetrator (Tips are NOT painted)

Not trying to be a dick...but asking - isn't that the biggest problem with "bulk" ammo?? It being poorly manufactored.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Not trying to be a dick...but asking - isn't that the biggest problem with "bulk" ammo?? It being poorly manufactored.

The Israeli 5.56 has a history of being some of the best around. I have fired plenty of this stuff in the past, no issues.

Yes, I know, new day, new batch and someone fell asleep at the QC station.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Rejected lots because of no crimp. Good stuff, but at 5.56 (M855) pressure you will get primer pops.

That must be it then.

I got worse with a sound suppressor attached to multiple platforms but it was doing it on every gun with or without a sound suppressor.

I wnet through each case and randomly grabbed boxes to see if was local to one case, nope, every case was doing it consistently. :sad20:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A few weeks back, someone posted that this stuff was available. I almost bought some but I bought the Federal M193 from AIM.

Real glad I bought what I bought.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    The Israeli 5.56 has a history of being some of the best around. I have fired plenty of this stuff in the past, no issues.

Yes, I know, new day, new batch and someone fell asleep at the QC station.

Fair enough...I didn't know this was milspec ammo...thought someone was just using the name...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Fair enough...I didn't know this was milspec ammo...thought someone was just using the name...

The boxes look the same as what was available many years back, when IMI made M193 only and the M855 I got also maybe 20 years ago.

I believe 100% that this is indeed IMI overrun ammo.

Sad that the QC failed.

Just wonder if only a small amount is affected or if all of the ammo is this way?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Rejected lots because of no crimp. Good stuff, but at 5.56 (M855) pressure you will get primer pops.

I was gonna say, thought all milsurp 5.56 would have crimped primers, sounded like something like that to me.

I know a lot of people who shoot the IMI stuff, I'll be sure to watch out for this though. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    He did say 1%...so I'm guessing positively.

Yes, Chad said 1% of what he had, had this issue, what about the other x hundred cases imported? Is the whole warehouse full of ammo that has issues or only a small number of cases?

As noted before, INSPECT your ammo. Don't just load magazines.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yes, Chad said 1% of what he had, had this issue, what about the other x hundred cases imported? Is the whole warehouse full of ammo that has issues or only a small number of cases?

As noted before, INSPECT your ammo. Don't just load magazines.

Well to be fair my malfunction clearance drills improved about 6000%. Ive always ben fast at clearing malfunctions. The only thing that mede me keep my sanity was the fact that I had 2 new cans and that stupid ammo wasnt going to ruin my day.

I wont be buying anymore of this ammo, thats for sure. Im half way through the ammo so no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom