Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:37 AM   #1
marcodelat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Key Largo, Florida
Posts: 10
Yugo M57 Tokarev magazine question

I thought all Yugo M57 Tokarev magazines had their separate parts stamped with part numbers, e.g., 4-00.001, 4-00.100, etc.

Well, magazine that came with a Yugo M57 Tokarev i got from SOG has no part #s stamped anywhere - other than this it looks like any of the other M57 magazines I have in fit & finish - although the base plate does have a deep blue finish, like the Polish mags.

Also, there is what looks like "K 3" electropenciled on the left side just above the baseplate, where the part # - 4-00.001 would be.

The magazine is in new condition & functions fine.

Could this be a "later production" Yugo magazine not bearing the mil-spec numbers?

If so, maybe the Yugoslavians did manufacture "extra" mags at a later date...

Anyone else receive a similar mag?
marcodelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
JAGGUY
Member
 
JAGGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Peoples Republik
Posts: 140
My magazine is like yours, no part numbers and a polished blued base plate. No electro markings either.


__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
JAGGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
marcodelat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Key Largo, Florida
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGGUY View Post
My magazine is like yours, no part numbers and a polished blued base plate. No electro markings either.
So... I bet that Zastava Arms manufactured magazines for these pistols after they became military surplus.

Bet we'll see some of these mags imported sometime in the future...

Century just received some SKS 59/66 - imported from Serbia so I hear.

BTW JAGGUY - saw a pic of your M57 posted here - nice pistol I prefix i think makes it one manufactured in 1966.

... my mag did have the polished blued baseplate but with a lanyard loop.
marcodelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer
 
hole punch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington Co.
Posts: 8,099
Images: 6
I read somewhere that these are coming with one non-Yugo mag. One of mine fails to lock up securely (like to just fall out from time to time) while the other locks up fine. Only had it for a few weeks so I can't say for sure. Haven't even been out to the range with it yet. Heck, haven't been to teh range in ages. I'll check for the Yugo parts #s on the spare when I think of it next.


__________________
C&R FFL03
MD Designated Collector
SAF Life Member
MSI Member
hole punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Boondock Saint
Returnedish Member
 
Boondock Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: White Marsh
Posts: 13,056
Hole Punch is alive! Quite a hiatus there.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Atlasarmory
Senior Member
 
Atlasarmory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 2,336
Images: 2
From zastava web site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_M57.jpg (114.3 KB, 328 views)
Atlasarmory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #7
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer
 
hole punch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington Co.
Posts: 8,099
Images: 6
I want to confirm that both of my Tok mags have the Yugo 4.whatever stamped in the left side of the mag body down near the floor plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Hole Punch is alive!
Work got insanely busy there for a few months. I've has some time off with the holidays and all and hopefully I'll have more internets time coming up.


__________________
C&R FFL03
MD Designated Collector
SAF Life Member
MSI Member
hole punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #8
c33m0n3y
Member
 
c33m0n3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Howard County
Posts: 568
On the subject of M57 mags, I was at the Fredneck show this weekend, and a guy was selling all kinds of magazines. He had what he called "East German" Tokarev mags. I was wary of buying one to fit my M57 before doing some research. Does anyone know about those mags, and if they'd fit the M57?


__________________
c33m0n3y
c33m0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #9
edhallor
Member
 
edhallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 697
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodelat View Post
I thought all Yugo M57 Tokarev magazines had their separate parts stamped with part numbers, e.g., 4-00.001, 4-00.100, etc.

Well, magazine that came with a Yugo M57 Tokarev i got from SOG has no part #s stamped anywhere - other than this it looks like any of the other M57 magazines I have in fit & finish - although the base plate does have a deep blue finish, like the Polish mags.

Also, there is what looks like "K 3" electropenciled on the left side just above the baseplate, where the part # - 4-00.001 would be.

The magazine is in new condition & functions fine.

Could this be a "later production" Yugo magazine not bearing the mil-spec numbers?

If so, maybe the Yugoslavians did manufacture "extra" mags at a later date...

Anyone else receive a similar mag?
What you have is a CZ Tokarev Mag Aftermarket by 3K, You can find them on the Net for around $20. The CZ is the exact configuration as the Yogo with the exception it is about 1/16" shorter, holds 8 rounds. and does not have a locking notch.
The CZ Mag is very easy to alter for the YUGO. A Dremel is used to cut the notch on the side of the Mag for the Lock and about 1/4" is taken off the follower to allow for the 9th round.
I've cut two of them and they work flawlessly, although there are many post that the 3K's are crap and mis-feed.
Check Gunbroker there is a guy there selling altered 3k CZ's for I believe $40. There are also several genuine Yugo mags for around $70, If you want to cut your own you can get a $20 CZ 3K and make your own cuts.
Warning, The locking notch must be cut a fraction low and worked to the Lockup with a small file removing a little metal at a time on the Slot you cut until the Mag Locks.

PM me if you want and I'll send you an Adobe file on making the alterations.

Ed O
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10
marcodelat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Key Largo, Florida
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhallor View Post
What you have is a CZ Tokarev Mag Aftermarket by 3K...
No, I am aware of that mod, and about the quality of those mags... and that in order to hold 9 rounds, the follower has to be modified also...

No, this is a Yugo 9 round magazine that came from SOG with the pistol.
marcodelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #11
edhallor
Member
 
edhallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 697
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodelat View Post
No, I am aware of that mod, and about the quality of those mags... and that in order to hold 9 rounds, the follower has to be modified also...

No, this is a Yugo 9 round magazine that came from SOG with the pistol.
Odd,
I called SOG about a Week back about trying to get a second Mag. During the discussion I was told that all the Mags they shipped with the Yugo were original to the Weapon. Which would have the part # 4.00.001 with two proof stamps above the Part #.
I was told they had no Mags for sale and did not expect any stock. I am curious about the 3K electro pencil as the only after market Triple K makes for this Cal. is the CZ?. I had no intention of paying $70 for a second Mag. on Gunbroker, thus I altered two cheap 3K's which lock up and work fine, maybe I got lucky with the CZ's most people list them as crap?
If you find that there is another Factory source for the Yugo Mags please post it, many of us are looking for a factory Mag without breaking the Bank.

Thanks,
Eddie O
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #12
marcodelat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Key Largo, Florida
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhallor View Post
Odd...
Yep it is, which is why I asked - apparently JAGGUY got on like this too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGGUY View Post
My magazine is like yours, no part numbers and a polished blued base plate. No electro markings either.
marcodelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #13
PupSter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Yugo Tok's M-57's are still made by Zastava Arms as are the magazines.
There are also good ones made state side by CCSA, http://www.ccsportingarms.com/product.sc?productId=58

I have 3 of the M57's and some 15+ mag's...

Last edited by PupSter; June 27th, 2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
PupSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #14
edhallor
Member
 
edhallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 697
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupSter View Post
Yugo Tok's M-47's are still made by Zastava Arms as are the magazines.
There are also good ones made state side by CCSA, http://www.ccsportingarms.com/product.sc?productId=58

I have 3 of the M57's and some 15+ mag's...
Thanks PupSter at that price I'll spring for a second Mag.

Ed
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #15
PupSter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhallor View Post
Odd,
I called SOG about a Week back about trying to get a second Mag. During the discussion I was told that all the Mags they shipped with the Yugo were original to the Weapon. Which would have the part # 4.00.001 with two proof stamps above the Part #.
I was told they had no Mags for sale and did not expect any stock. I am curious about the 3K electro pencil as the only after market Triple K makes for this Cal. is the CZ?. I had no intention of paying $70 for a second Mag. on Gunbroker, thus I altered two cheap 3K's which lock up and work fine, maybe I got lucky with the CZ's most people list them as crap?
If you find that there is another Factory source for the Yugo Mags please post it, many of us are looking for a factory Mag without breaking the Bank.

Thanks,
Eddie O
Zastava Arms still makes the mag's and the M-57's, both in 9mm & x25mm. Sadly the mag's are not imported BUT they are making new ones for some of the surplus imports, those are the unmarked ones found on the newest imports. If you recall most of them come with 2 mag's. All of the imports had to have the safety added. This was done by Zastava Arms, the original maker, hence they are way better then the safety on any other Tok. While being redone, some mag's they had as extra's where well worn and not usable, so they used the stock on hand till that ran out and now puts the unmarked ones in. They should not be as coated with cosmo as the original ones. SOG may not know of the change and is quoting fact from the earlier stock. Yugoslavia uses differant mix in their cosmo, they add beeswax to the mix and warm dips things for storage, hence the mess we have all seen.
CCSA does make a good replacement, tho they did have one bad batch get out that the mag catch/release was not deep enough. They did stand by and replace them all free and easily. under 29 including shipping isn't to bad a price for the quality and it does give an American a job. They are way better made the others out there that can be made to work, unless you get an original CZ-52 mag and dremel it.
PupSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:05 AM   #16
airsporter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western MD
Posts: 218
Wideners has a small batch of new, original M57 mags in stock. Probably current production. $31 each.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000331
airsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #17
edhallor
Member
 
edhallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 697
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsporter View Post
Wideners has a small batch of new, original M57 mags in stock. Probably current production. $31 each.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000331
Thanks,
Ordered 1 Yesterday, Postage was a bit high, $9 bringing the total to $40. Sorry I did not wait until the Guns came with two Mags, but who knew. Sometimes you wait and loose other times you win. I guess it is what it is.
Thanks for the heads up on the Mag.

Ed
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #18
airsporter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western MD
Posts: 218
Too late now, but as an FYI, Wideners has over a dozen shipping options (depending upon items purchased). There is a dropdown menu at the bottom of the order page - I think default is UPS ground residential. I bought several mags and selected Priority mail. Came to $5.25
airsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:03 PM   #19
edhallor
Member
 
edhallor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 697
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsporter View Post
Too late now, but as an FYI, Wideners has over a dozen shipping options (depending upon items purchased). There is a dropdown menu at the bottom of the order page - I think default is UPS ground residential. I bought several mags and selected Priority mail. Came to $5.25
Thanks,
So excited to get the Mag, I forgot to check shipping options, still happy to get it for $40. I put them on my Favorites List.

Thanks again,
Ed
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Mk3StenMan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Thumbs up YUGO M-57 mags

Hi Guys, sorry to say that (http://www.ccsportingarms.com/product.sc?productId=58) is no longer selling the 3k M-57 mags (I have two of these and they run/fit flawlessly). Go to their website and there's a small explanation.

However, I found another site that's selling FACTORY ZASTAVA M-57 mags (no, not Wideners and even a bit less expensive than they're asking!) Here's the link: http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp They only want $30.95 for one, $55.00 for two and $100 for four and best of all, FREE S&H!!!! Check the pics and you'll see that they say "Magazine for pistol M-57 / cal. 7.62 mm - 1 pc. / Mfg. by ZASTAVA arms, SERBIA" I haven't been able to find a better deal than that anywhere, especially for factory mags. The only con, no lanyard loop on the mag bottom. All I know is what I read and saw, the rest is up to you!

Mk3StenMan
Mk3StenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC