Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Dealers > Gun Connection

Old June 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
offthepaper

Went to pick up rifle, was put on delay list!!!!

Yesterday I went to the Gun Connection to pick up my new (to me) M69 Romainian Trainer 22. I've bought MANY guns over the years. I have a C&R. I have the MD Collector letter. I've never been in any trouble. So the Feds have screened me, the MSP have screened me for FA possesion and given me the approval years ago.
So when the salesman at the counter gives me the yellow form to fill out, he even points out to me that the listing of your SS# is not manditory, but may well help speed up the process (yep, he warned me ), But being the stuborn a$$ I guess I am, I decide I dont want to give the govt my SS# (like they dont already have it), so sI leave it blank. The salesman (he was great, I was stupid) calls in the info and I start looking at some of the toys displayed on the wall while I wait for my OK. He finishs the call turns and tells me I've been put on the delayed list!! WTF? I've
never been on the delayed list in my life and I'm not a young guy. I just don't fully understand how they arrive at the decision not to issue the OK for the transfer. Your name, address, birth date should identify you fairly well. I'm always surprised that the application doesn't include a place where you can list your driver license # and C&R license #. It seems like a cheap way (for all parties involved) to further identify you and speed up the entire process.
Anyway, since leaving there in disbelief at being delayed I had time to think about this on the ride home, without the rifle, how stupid I was not to simply go ahead and list my SS# on the applicaion and likely would have walked out of the store with the new toy. I'm not sure what I think I was protecting. Any investigation they conduct will repeatedly give my SS # over and over again.
Now I 've got until next Thursday to think about what an idiot I am.

Question: Has anyone who has ever been placed on a delay list, have you ever been given the OK before the whole week was up?
Does the checking process continue on the delayed list over the weekends so that GC may actually get the OK to transfer the rifle on a Saturday or Sunday?
I'm such an idiot.
offthepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Markp

This is the government's way of making you play by their rules. Want your rifle without waiting, give up your National ID Number...

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
boule

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthepaper View Post
Question: Has anyone who has ever been placed on a delay list, have you ever been given the OK before the whole week was up?
Does the checking process continue on the delayed list over the weekends so that GC may actually get the OK to transfer the rifle on a Saturday or Sunday?
Delayed means that they just at this moment cannot figure out if you are eligible to recieve a firearm. From what I understand, the moment you end up in the call center, tour data gets entered into a computer. If this thing gives back only a single person with that information and eligible to recieve a firearm, it proceeds.
If there is more than one person with that name in that state, it gets forwarded to an agent for further discrimination and they go by driver license number and description. Depending on when that person is available, you get delayed for longer or shorter, and yes, there should be someone there on the weekends as well - and at least on Fridays after 8PM someone is still there. Nonetheless, chances are that you will hear back on Monday or so.

ps: I always get delayed

Old June 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
ezeerider
Mount Airy, Marylandistan

Send a message via AIM to ezeerider Send a message via Yahoo to ezeerider
Happened to me last week.
The very next day I was approved.
This was for a shotgun.
I don't get it either.
Most of mine go right through.
Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the delays.
Its a little embarrassing and a pain in the ass to go back to the shop again.
Thats why I am applying for a Unique Identification Number.
Paperwork should be here this week.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

ezeerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Mark392001

I understand that everyone is cautious about their SSN's, but the fact of the matter is that if someone wants yours bad enough, they will find it. Without the social on the gun paperwork the system may not be able to distinguish you as easily from someone with the same name and may trigger the delay which would be understandably disturbing and embarassing to say the least. It also raises doubt in the mind of the FFL holder who is charged to not complete the transfer at all if they have reason to believe the subject would be disqualified. ATF runs sting operations at gun shows for example to see if dealers are following this as I recall. Just my .02...
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
gunconnection
FFL Dealer / III%

If you have any questions about being delayed, please call me.

11433 Pulaski Hwy.,Unit#3
White Marsh, MD 21162
410/335-7252
www.gunconnectionmd.com
gunconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

I always put my SSN plus mine name is really different so I guess I am lucky in that way. Sucks you have to wait though.
mbz300sdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Mark392001

Several people in MD with extensive criminal histories have my same first and last name. With SSN my non-regulated transfers have gone through on the phone call so quickly as for the folks making the call to comment how fast it was. Since
I've had the MD collectors letter my regulated paperwork has always
come back favorably in less time than the waiting period meaning that on the 8th day I've always been good to go.
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #9
jtarpley59
live free or die

I to have a name tied to a criminal and from time to time this comes up the store I deal with said it might benefit me to get a special id number from the ATF I can not remember what it is now but instead of your SS# they reference this number.

Ronald Reagan
I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself.
Ronald Reagan
jtarpley59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #10
PoPo3

Here's a good one for you. I live in MD, but went to a PA gun shop to look at a certain bolt gun. Filled the paperwork out, two minutes later....DENIED. And to add icing to the cake, I was currently working for a police department. Gave them my ID and everything. Guy at the counter said that there was nothing he could do about it. Never had a problem before or since. I don't know what happened.
PoPo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #11
smokedog

Can someone explain this special ID number and the benefits of having one and the process to get one ?

NRA member

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #12
offthepaper

Quote:
If you have any questions about being delayed, please call me.
No, nothing you guys could do about it. My own fault.
My post is only meant to show that it's possible to cut your own nose off to spite your face when filling out the apps. Believe me, I wish I had listened to the salesman instead of standing on a possibly misguided principle. I'd likely be at the range right now instead of pecking the keyboard.
It's just strange to me that at my age and NEVER having any problems buying any FA, I get delayed on a 22 bolt action. Go figure.
I guess the silver lining is that a lesson has been learned.
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #13
eddiek2000
Sweet Lemonade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz300sdl View Post
I always put my SSN plus mine name is really different so I guess I am lucky in that way. Sucks you have to wait though.
Me too.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #14
offthepaper

Got a call Monday afternoon informing me that I was cleared to pick up the rifle. Stopped in and shortly thereafter left with the new addition. It looks great, cant wait to get it to the range. I guess I just need to list the # next time.

Thanks guys for the transfer.
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Local2

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthepaper View Post
Got a call Monday afternoon informing me that I was cleared to pick up the rifle. Stopped in and shortly thereafter left with the new addition. It looks great, cant wait to get it to the range. I guess I just need to list the # next time.

Thanks guys for the transfer.
Local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Maverick0313
Don't ask won't tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local2 View Post
What HE said......

Utah//Florida//Virginia CCP
Retired Military Intelligence Professional; still active
Maverick0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #17
WeaponsCollector
EXTREME GUN OWNER

FYI
Mayor Michael Bloomberg is working hard to stop gun sales to anyone placed on "HOLD" or delayed after a NICS background check, especially "default proceed" sales. He is also trying to have the BATFE maintain records of delayed purchasers for 6 months(or 20 years if your name is on a secret government list).
Bloomberg is having meetings with congress and with President Obama to try to implement his gun control plans which can be found in his "Blueprint for Federal Action on Illegal Guns" from his group "Mayors Against Guns", August 2009.

Gun Control! Because a violent criminal who ignores laws against rape, robbery, and even murder will really care about gun laws...
WeaponsCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #18
Louie

you can go to the maryland judiciary case search and look up your name, this will tell you how many other idiots share the same name as you, but are not law abiding citizens. This being said any paper you have filed with circuit or district courts are there too, so there are good people registered.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #19
Ethan83

I bought a Marlin 795 at Dick's a few months back. I was delayed. I also hold a C&R FFL and am a MD designated collector. There was no reason given for the delay; I don't know if the salesman really didn't know the reason or just didn't want to discuss it. I did provide my SSN on the paperwork. I got a call the very next day from Dick's letting me know I was approved and could come pick the gun up. I still don't know what the reason for my delay could have been, especially if the SSN actually does help them uniquely identify you.
Ethan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #20
Half-cocked
Senior Half-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan83 View Post
I bought a Marlin 795 at Dick's a few months back. I was delayed. I also hold a C&R FFL and am a MD designated collector. There was no reason given for the delay; I don't know if the salesman really didn't know the reason or just didn't want to discuss it. I did provide my SSN on the paperwork. I got a call the very next day from Dick's letting me know I was approved and could come pick the gun up. I still don't know what the reason for my delay could have been, especially if the SSN actually does help them uniquely identify you.
Theory 1: "The system is down. We're putting an automatic hold on everything."

Theory 2: "All our operators are busy, approximate wait time is: 25 minutes."

Theory 3: Dick's employee screwed up your SS#.
Half-cocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Dealers > Gun Connection