Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire

Old May 18th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Hyper-W
MSI Executive Member

.22 Nail Gun

I used a .22 caliber "Power Actuated" nail gun made my Remington for the first time today.
What kick-ass fun those things are!!!
All these years, I've been drilling holes in concrete to sink an anchor into the wall. No more!!!

For those of you unfamiliar, you load a .22 blank cartridge into a chamber, close the chamber, load a nail with a plastic wadding in the muzzle, place the barrel against a hard surface, and pull the trigger!!
The pressure on the barrel activates the trigger and the expanding gas forces the nail into concrete. Its bonerific! Plus, it made my office smell like the AGC.

In other news, I'm surprised that these aren't regulated firearms in MD. I'm sure if O'Malley knew these existed that I would have to register it. Bastards. Hands off my tools!

The statements made on this forum are of my own opinions (possibly sarcastic) and not the opinion, stance, or policy of my employer or any organization that I am affiliated with, a member of, or otherwise associated with in any way.
If you are offended by or wish for me to remove any statements made by me on this forum, please take it up with me in a private message by clicking here.
Hyper-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
The3clipser
Mister Tea

Dad and I used something similar when we finished our basement. We used it to anchor nails (and the framing studs) to the floor. Ours needed to be hit with a hammer to fire, but same general concept.

A government which does not trust its citizens to be armed is a government which does not trust its citizens. The question is, if a government does not trust its citizens, why should those citizens trust the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by august1410 View Post
Synthetic shotguns are like silicone boobs. Yeah, they look kinda the same, but just don't feel right.
The3clipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #3
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

those are regulated in maryland ya know.. lol

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #4
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The3clipser View Post
Dad and I used something similar when we finished our basement. Ours needed to be hit with a hammer to fire, but same general concept.
Same thing
mbz300sdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #5
j8064
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

I've seen 'em used, but never had the personal pleasure of shooting a nail with a powder charge. They must be fun . The standard pneumatic nail drivers are kinda like CO2 pellet guns in comparison I'm sure.

I 'spose this must be said at least once: "Only police and military..." - yada yada yada
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #6
travistheone
Usual Suspect

I always called em ramsets. They are great for easy anchoring into concrete, especially on a ladder or something where you can't be leaning hard into a hammerdrill.

<a href=http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=632&c=member&imageuser=3926 target=_blank><a href=http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/3/9/2/6/5pack_thumb.jpg target=_blank>http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/fi...pack_thumb.jpg</a></a> Want some of these stickers? All profits go to Wounded Warrior Project! You can help tons with as little as five dollars! PM me.
www.peacekeepersupport.org
www.woundedwarriorproject.org
travistheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Bigdtc

Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc
In the electrical trade we use them to fasten support wires to concrete/steel ceilings on a long pole.. big time saver...

"you cannot conquer an idea with an army"-Thomas Paine

http:////mdpreparedness.com/forum/me...ter&referrer=2
Bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #8
tim410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdtc View Post
In the electrical trade we use them to fasten support wires to concrete/steel ceilings on a long pole.. big time saver...
I hated seeing the ramset after hanging a couple hundred ceiling wires for light supports. The inspector was a d*ck about it. We had to have our ceiling wires individually marked to tell the apart from the wires for the drop ceiling.
tim410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Bigdtc

Yeah, actually that's a fairly recent rule change. We used to mark them on our own on certain jobs because, sometimes, the ceiling guys would use ours..lol.. I think the inspectors actually stole the idea from us..

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #10
HardHatMan
FBHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travistheone View Post
I always called em ramsets. They are great for easy anchoring into concrete, especially on a ladder or something where you can't be leaning hard into a hammerdrill.
+1 First one I ever used was my dads. The thing had to be from the early '80's lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
people have every right not to agree with or even accept the way others live their life...however people have no right to let that dislike limit the freedom of others.
HardHatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Dino

I wonder how easy it would be to convert a nail gun to fire live ammo.

Also, can the .22 blanks used in nail guns be used in .22lr firearms?

Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Bigdtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

conversion is unlikely.. The blanks do work but, be careful, there is also a .26 cal version of powder-actuated tools...

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Hyper-W
MSI Executive Member

Quote:

I must admit that both items crossed my mind. Shouldn't be difficult!

The statements made on this forum are of my own opinions (possibly sarcastic) and not the opinion, stance, or policy of my employer or any organization that I am affiliated with, a member of, or otherwise associated with in any way.
If you are offended by or wish for me to remove any statements made by me on this forum, please take it up with me in a private message by clicking here.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #14
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Oh yeah thats great fun when you get company to fire them in the house to give them a jump. But on the same line when my dad would shoot the 30-06 to kill groundhogs out of his bedroom window without warning.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #15
tim410

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz300sdl View Post
Oh yeah thats great fun when you get company to fire them in the house to give them a jump. But on the same line when my dad would shoot the 30-06 to kill groundhogs out of his bedroom window without warning.
I wish i could shoot stuff out my window but i have to many dang neighbors. Dont think they would like that too much
tim410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Hyper-W
MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim410 View Post
I wish i could shoot stuff out my window but i have to many dang neighbors. Dont think they would like that too much
I live in a townhouse and when I saw a rat in my backyard, I immediately went down the list of options in my head and ruled out each one. I thought a 12 gauge would be a little too loud, my .45 isn't accurate enough, even a .22 might alert the folks next door.

Old May 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-W View Post
I live in a townhouse and when I saw a rat in my backyard, I immediately went down the list of options in my head and ruled out each one. I thought a 12 gauge would be a little too loud, my .45 isn't accurate enough, even a .22 might alert the folks next door.

Two words ... AIR GUN.

Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #18
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim410 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-W View Post
Well in reply to that at the time we lived on 2 acres in a 16 house sub-division we fired off anything we damn well pleased even some full auto that my dad's friend had brought down to the house (early 90s). Only time anything ever happened was neighbors called the cops in 2001 when i was 16 (dad gave me a mini-14) and they had just moved in recently and we were outback shooting it. One cop showed up and said well you have every legal right to do it and that was that.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #19
mbz300sdl
Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Two words ... AIR GUN.
http://www.air-rifle.net/rwscat/rwscat.html

Look them up. I have the Model 48 have had it for 11 years yeah its quiet. Good for keeping those pesky cats out of your yard and attacking your cat.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Hyper-W
MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Two words ... AIR GUN.
I'll exercise my fifth amendment rights and remain silent on this one

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire