Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Old April 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #1
razorV23
TK421

Bushmaster M17S Mods

Well I just picked up this from another member and just completed some mods to it. I removed the sights/carry handle and added a rail and scope (not sure if it will stay this way, but it will do for now, besides I had all the parts in the spare parts bin). I removed the barrell nuts/thread protectors and installed a A2 flash hider. I also installed a rail in front of the grip for a VFG to be added later. I need to do something with the charging handle and take it to the range and see how she runs. What do you guys think?

Last edited by razorV23; June 18th, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: removed ulgy photos
razorV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
fivepointstar
Support IDF

SWEET!!!!! Making me wish i jumped on it

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
srfnken

Nice little mods you did. If you are interested in upgrading even more you can see my web site for other things you can do, I even have a replacement charging handle for you.

http://www.kmaerospace.com/M17s.html
srfnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
razorV23
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfnken View Post
Nice little mods you did. If you are interested in upgrading even more you can see my web site for other things you can do, I even have a replacement charging handle for you.

All the way from AZ. I have seen your website and work very nice, I hope this isn't a one time visit.

I have removed the scope and rail already and am thinking of putting my MSAR rail on it, I have mocked it up and it will match up with the factory charging handle. Or I may trade/sell the rifle for something else.
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #5
smores
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Send a message via AIM to smores
IMO, just looking at the picture, the way the sight rail is mounted looks a little shaky. How solid is it? To me it just looks like a couple screws and some shims/spacers.

THE LIBERTY TREE IS PARCHED
smores is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #6
razorV23
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
IMO, just looking at the picture, the way the sight rail is mounted looks a little shaky. How solid is it? To me it just looks like a couple screws and some shims/spacers.
I have removed the rail already, it was cheesy. I am thinking of instaling a rail from a STG556 on top. I have it mocked up and looks good, I will post pics later.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #7
srfnken

I will try and not make it a one time visit. I am trying to make it on all the boards talking about the M17s. If there are any questions I can answer about the rifle, I am pretty knowledgeable about them like many others.
Ken
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #8
razorV23
TK421

New Pics

I installed the STG556 rail, I like it. Now I need to do something about the charging handle. anyone have any ideas? Been thinking about shorten the barrel 3" also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3233.jpg (32.4 KB, 1797 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3234.jpg (47.7 KB, 61 views)
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #9
srfnken

You can still buy one of mine? And send me the barrel and I can shorten that too.
Ken
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #10
smores
Creepy-Ass Cracker

That looks 100x better with the STG rail. Is your charging handle contacting the rail? if so I'd relieve the less expensive part for clearance (or get a new handle as you are considering).

I'm assuming the charging handle does not reciprocate with the bolt? If so, what keeps it from moving to the rear? I've been hit in the nose a few times by an M16 charging handle in ROTC (guess the latch spring was worn or there was a burr on the carrier key or something) and it wasn't fun. Like getting a little punch in the nose when you're trying to hit a target.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
razorV23
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
That looks 100x better with the STG rail. Is your charging handle contacting the rail? if so I'd relieve the less expensive part for clearance (or get a new handle as you are considering).

I'm assuming the charging handle does not reciprocate with the bolt? If so, what keeps it from moving to the rear?
There is a spring inside the rifle that holds the CH forward, it does not reciprocate. I thinking of sanding down the plastic CH to match the top of the rail or fabericating a new one.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
smores
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorV23 View Post
There is a spring inside the rifle that holds the CH forward, it does not reciprocate. I thinking of sanding down the plastic CH to match the top of the rail or fabericating a new one.
Ok, the UZI works in a similar manner. Never had a problem with the bolt handle coming back, but then again you wouldn't notice if it did because your face is behind the rear sight.

It's looking nice. How does it shoot and how reliable is your M17S?

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #13
razorV23
TK421

Haven't shot it yet.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles